PDA

View Full Version : 17x7.5" ET45 Will they fit?!?

OBS355
29-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi guys,

I am a complete newbie to this forum, I've been modifying cars on and off for about 10 years from a Mazda RX-2, to GT Starlet, RX-8, S2000, Renault Megane Sport, etc. The wife and I have since had our first baby and as such had to downsize the sports cars to more practical means of daily transport. She got the Mazda 3 MPS and I just today, purchased a very clean 1996 Honda Civic sedan (EK). It will be a daily run-about but I plan to add some unique touches to make it stand out from the crowd. Lets face it, once a modifier/diy'er always a modifier/diy'er! :p

The Civic is basically stock standard apart from K-Sport Coilovers. I don't intend on doing anything drastic with it as after all it is a daily runabout for me, but seeing as it has coilovers and has already had the rear guards rolled, I wanted to go a sort of low slung JDM type look with it. Which brings me to my question...

I am eyeing off a new set of Rota RB's in 17x7.5" ET45. I am not great with offset calculations but from what I can work out I'm pretty certain they will fit. What I wanted to do was get the informed opinions of the OzHonda community and see what the consensus was. Do you guys think that they will tuck under there?

Any opinions/advice is appreciated. :thumbsup:

mugen_ctr
29-11-2010, 09:32 PM
will fit, but why 17's? lol, 16's are the optimum size for ek's, performance an looks imho..... it will tuck a bit, nothing some spacers that will fix the problem

OBS355
30-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Why 17's?

Well I guess I was of the thought that if I went that 1" bigger in diameter I would have to lower the car less and it would have the looks but be a bit more practical with the ride height.

I can get either 17x7.5" ET45 or 16x8" ET35 for the same price.

So you're thinking the 16" option is the better of the 2? Would the 16" size be a better fitment with the extra .5" width and offset of 35?

Any help is appreciated as I am trying to put my mind at ease and get all the boxes ticked before I dive into a set of RB's.

mugen_ctr
30-11-2010, 12:05 PM
id personally go for 16 by 8, simply as it will have nicer fitment, 17's will also ride harsher as well.... have a look in the photo gallery to give u an idea of the fitment as well.... should give u an indication as to what an how it will fit under the guards

16 by 8's is what i shoulda gone for had i known ages ago, but now running 16 by 7 plus 35 all round, fronts fit, rears tuck in a bit

Tai
30-11-2010, 12:11 PM
If its a daily I would suggest 15's with 195 55 15 tyres.

Purely for the comfort side, as 17's will require thinner profile tyres which will result to harsher ride.

OBS355
30-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I am pretty sure I will go 16x8" ET35 if I do go down this path.

Can anyone give me advice as to what tyre size I should go with?

I don't want to go the stretched look, worries my too much about safety and also attracting unwanted attention from the boys in blue (even though it will probably do so anyway, just one less thing to set them off!)

OBS355
30-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Just did a comparison on an online calculator, pretty sure all the numbers I put in are correct. Seems like 16x8's will fit as long as the rear guards are rolled (which they are).

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire%20size%20comparer&sw1=185&ar1=60&bd1=14&rw1=6.0&et1=45&sw2=215&ar2=40&bd2=16&rw2=8.0&et2=35&text1=&text2=

Hopefully the link works!

Tai
30-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Guards being rolled have nothing to do if they will fit, things like how much you lower it and how much camber you run and tyre profile as well come in to play.

You sure you have been modifying cars for 10 years?

OBS355
30-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Guards being rolled have nothing to do if they will fit, things like how much you lower it and how much camber you run and tyre profile as well come in to play.

You sure you have been modifying cars for 10 years?

Sorry Tai - not sure what me modifying cars for 10 years has to do with not knowing alot about offsets, or guard rolling? Never had to worry about those sort of things so never really delved into it to be honest.

Just so you know a camber kit will be put on so that in conjunction with the coilovers there should be enough adjustability to get them under without too much hassle (I'm hoping).

For the record though Tai - I do believe that if wheels were put on with too low an offset & incorrect tyre size with a wider rim that if the guards weren't rolled the tyres would hit the inner guards unless a huge amount of camber was put on the wheels which would a) look stupid and b) hardly be practical. So I don't think saying having the guards rolled or not will have NOTHING to do with wheels fitting is a correct statement.

Thanks for the help thus far though.

mr180sx
05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey josh

Good to see your enjoying the car. no need to put camber kit on. just run 205/45/16 tyres and lower it and you should be fine. And dont worry about Tai, he just likes to shit stir people on here. Hehehe

OBS355
05-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey Trung, cheers for the reply mate. Should really have directed the question at you seeing as you had crazy offset rims on this baby before me.

In the end I have ordered the 16x8" ET35 Rota RB's, and will be running 215/45/16's I am thinking. Hell maybe I WILL run 205's just for that slightly stretched look. ;)

mr180sx
06-12-2010, 03:45 PM
205/45 should be ok. Wont give you too much of a stretch look, pending on tyre brand. I didnt have crazy offset, just the lowest offset you can go without camber kit and minimum stretch on tyres.

OBS355
06-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Fair enough.

I am thinking of going the 205/45/16 now purely for the fact that they are much easier to come by over 215/45/16 - and cheaper too normally.

The ever so slight stretch I get out of them would just be a bonus.

Can't wait to get them on - the 16x8 Rota's should be here any day now I'm hoping.

Vvtec
07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
use this website for samples: www.rimtuck.com
awesome rim site :D