PDA

View Full Version : overheating gli - where is the water pump?!!

s1lv1a9999
05-12-2003, 02:10 PM
my g/f's '94 civic gli has started overheating when it is driven over about 80km's/h - took the thermostat out to try and increase flow some, but didn't help... i think it has to be the water pump, but i can't find it easily - anyone know where it is!!?? - any insight into what the problem could be would be fantastic!

cheers, Mark.
cebonus@hotmail.com

Weq
05-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Firstly, do the folling as waterpump replcement will take much longer then the below.
Check the radiator cap for leakage firstly. Along with a flush of the cooling system to make sure the core isnt blocked and a pressure test etc.
Check ur igition timing and for signs of leaking headgasket (oil/coolant).

Now onto the water pump. to check it, u will have to look at the 'weep' holes or listen for bearing squeeling/feel for shaft play.

You will have to remove the timing cover as the waterpump is run by the timing belt and bolted onto the side of the block. The weep holes are small holes located on the ends of the pump on the underside of it. You will probably need a mirror and flashlight to check these, and see if coolant is leaking from them. If it is, your problem is the internal seals have gone on the pump and it needs to be replaced.
Same goes for bearing squeel/shaft play. You will need to remove the timing belt to check for shaft play.

If your pump is faulty, u should probably chnage ur timing belt while you have everyting apart. I',m pretty sure timing kits can be bought readiliy online and include a waterpump in the mix.

gl, and make sure you solve the problem as the last thing you want is a warped head.

Setanta
05-12-2003, 08:09 PM
and put a replacement thermostat back in. The engine needs a proper operating temperature.

Nuttz
06-12-2003, 08:55 PM
a good thing to check is if you are losing coolant. and where.

after driving a while feel if your raditor is hot to touch.

maybe check if your fan turns on after letting it idle for a while...

CustomCivic
09-12-2003, 04:49 PM
my gf had the same problem with her 94 civic last month!.. she wasnt watching the heat guage and she blew the head gasket. she had to fork out over 2k for a new head gasket, new radiator and new water pump : (

Rowie
09-12-2003, 06:01 PM
A good way to quickly check if the water pump is working or not, is to feel your radiator hoses and especially the one going up to your thermostat..... if the pipe is cold, then your pumps not working, or your radiator needs a good flush :)

good luck!

ek
12-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Are the engine fans cutting in at all or not?

I had a similar problem with my EK and would start to overheat when sitting in traffic or giving it a bit. My temp never goes over halfway, so when the temp started creeping up further without the fans cutting in, then I knew it was a fan related problem.

Turned out to be the thermo switch in the end. $80 to buy from Honda.