PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

Eclipsor
13-01-2005, 11:39 PM
My battery finally died today. So I got a new one. Chucked it in and the car wouldn't start. The starter motor was going and the engine was turning I think but it wasn't catching. Also, the clock wasn't working and the rsm meter which is powered on the final click on the ignition switch. After checking all the fuses I just disconnected the battery and connected it again and it worked. It's all good now but I've been trying to think of what was wrong. Possibly just corrosion on the clamp? Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

bennjamin
14-01-2005, 01:59 AM
IF the negative or positive terminal on the battery is even slightly loose or dirty (reducing the connected charge)- it wont give enough oomph to turn over .
Guys on occasion check your battery terminals with a wire brush and a tighten up with a 10mm spanner :)

Limbo
14-01-2005, 07:04 PM
yeah check for loose leads. My battery had the same problem last week, except my battery died cos i forgot to top up the water in it and it wasn't keeping charge. I had though it was only loose leads the other night.

Eclipsor
14-01-2005, 09:02 PM
ok. thanks guys.

zco
14-01-2005, 09:17 PM
my partents car keeps choking. i dont know if thats what u call it.. but it struggles to start.. like.. it sounds like its using all of its power just to start.. and when it does... the engine sounds like its about to die.. just needs a little push of hte accelerator. i poured injector cleaner into it, have used premium for aobut 5 tanks already.. problem still occurs. any ideas?

bubblecivic
15-01-2005, 11:50 AM
spark plugs man?