PDA

View Full Version : Can I use different brake fluid?

shebangs
02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
My car slowly leaks Brake Fluid. Every 6 months or so I need to top it up. However this time, I was out of Honda OEM Fluid.

So I went to Repco and bought there DOT4 which is a bright Blue. The guy at Repco said (after looking on the computer) it takes either DOT3 or DOT4.

Can I use it in my EG with DC2R 1" Master Cylinder?? It's got brown-ish brake fluid in it now.

Is Honda OEM Fluid DOT3 or DOT4?

Cheers

vinnY
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
afaik oem is dot4
and I'd say you're not really using any, it's just a lower level as your brake pads wear and the calipers need more fluid in them to push the pistons further

oem stuff is generally a light golden colour, yours is brown because it's just getting old

by the sounds of things it's time for a complete flush anyway, would be easier considering the brake fluids are different colours

shebangs
02-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm to lazy to do a flush. I drive her once every 3 weeks.

Can I just re-use the new blue fluid onto the exist fluid?

vinnY
02-12-2010, 10:20 PM
hang on you lose fluid just sitting there?
I'd find the cause then, adding fluid won't fix it or stop the leak from busting at a critical time
no pressure = no brakes

Bulbasaur
02-12-2010, 10:27 PM
i dont know about brake fluid but automatic transmission fluid works perfectly for power steering for my dc4

shebangs
02-12-2010, 11:52 PM
hang on you lose fluid just sitting there?
I'd find the cause then, adding fluid won't fix it or stop the leak from busting at a critical time
no pressure = no brakes
Well I used to drive it alot. Stopped 2 months ago when I changed jobs and use public transport. It's been leaking slowly every 6 months for the past 3 years.

i dont know about brake fluid but automatic transmission fluid works perfectly for power steering for my dc4

WTF has that got to do with my thread? lol

mocchi
03-12-2010, 10:08 PM

hahaha wtf this guy.