PDA

View Full Version : power output.

philipminge
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
hey guys, has anyone got a dyno chart or any numbers of their STOCK s2000. anyone???

does this article sound right for stock numbers?

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0911/cms/article.html

if anyone can comment that has some figures that would be good.

cheers

philipminge
02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
ok so i found some info, it seems as dyno's read some very different readings..... which is to be expected.

to make sure my s2k is not effed, im looking for someone in melbourne that is interested in dynoing their STOCK s2k AT MY EXPENSE)

it is in heidelberg and if anyone at all has any interest, please let me know.

they will do 3 runs, and take ur best run of the 3. dyno cost at this place $90 and i will cover the entire thing. will run your car and then mine right after.
MUST BE AP1 s2000.

i have 56,000km on mine, mechanic reckons still quite tight... if anyone has ap1 below 100,000km im keen to accept.

please email me at prisoner_09@hotmail.com if you are interested.

im worried about my engine being under powered... a stock s2k in that link above reads like 152whp STOCK..... some people are saying should read 180whp.

please chip in any info u might have.

thanks boyz

9large
02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
As you probably know, there are several variables with dyno readings. That said, on a Dynodynamics dynometer, you should get about 130wkw (~175whp) for a stock F20C S2000.

philipminge
03-12-2010, 08:08 AM
well eff me, i didnt nearly pull that... and the link i put in above did u read??? im reading just over his power.

i first read 115kw.

Exhaust 124.6kw
headers +high flow cat 134.4 kw.

and i been in another s2000 stock and feels slower than mine.

im starting to get worried...

New dyno im going to will be with a stock s2k and mine. we'll c how i go.

im getting worried.

vyets
03-12-2010, 09:50 AM
ALL Dyno's read diffrently man, comes down to EVERYTHING, weather tyres etc. etc.. it's really for measuring gains from back to back mods.

but 115 - 134kw is a fkn sick gain! so i wouldn't be worried if I were you. But did you dyno these back to back or ages later caus then it's not accurate.

curtis265
03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
wow they got some remarkable results from those mods.

That's inspiring

tay113
03-12-2010, 07:22 PM
does this mean that our stock s2000 is really under stated by honda instead of claimed 179kw.If thats the case,this is definitely misleading of false information and advertising.Till today ,i would honestly think of as 179kw.I am disappointed .Wonder if there is class action .....Thank you tay.

chauster
03-12-2010, 07:39 PM
179kw would be flywheel or something lol.

My friend has a ap1 i'll ask him not sure about Kms though. i'll let you know

vyets
03-12-2010, 08:06 PM
yea 179 is quoted factory from the flywheel not at the wheels there's a fair bit of drivetrain power loss standard on all cars.

catacaustic
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
179 was factory, at the flywheel, performance. Power at rear wheels does vary a whole lot. as has been stated by a lot on here, the same car can register 30-40hp difference on the same day, depending on dyno, temparature, tyres, grip, conditions.... There is almost no way to find a real true and acurate reading unless yu rip the engine out and have it measured by itself. But being real, even the most hardcore modification fan on here will sa that it's all about how YOU feel about the car, if it works for you, then that's all good. if it doesn't, then do something else. There is (of course) the budget to think about. But if you can handle that, then it's all good.

it's one of those things... Every time someone has said something to me about how fast my car goes, or how much power it has... I ask them how much that matter when I'm driving through the city at 20k's in traffic, but everyone is looking at my S rather then the falcons/commdores out there... going fast is only part of teh equation. for most of us every day drivers, it's only a very small part of it. ;)

9large
03-12-2010, 10:32 PM
does this mean that our stock s2000 is really under stated by honda instead of claimed 179kw.If thats the case,this is definitely misleading of false information and advertising.Till today ,i would honestly think of as 179kw.I am disappointed .Wonder if there is class action .....Thank you tay.

No. It is correct at 179kw at the flywheel. The figures being quoted here are at the wheels, which involves losses from the drivetrain, etc. Also, the base figure from that Autospeed article is arguably trash. It has been discussed repeatedly several times over the years, and is a little misleading - they should bloody delete it.

tay113
03-12-2010, 11:06 PM
thank you guys for the reassurance on the kw.It seems true to say 179kw is plenty of power but does it match up to a car with the same power and not vtec ?the s2000 on the low revs is dull till the power band comes through after 6000.So which car in actual fact is quicker on a straight line?I do find there are good days and bad days for the pull off acceleration and the weather does contribute to it.I have a ap1 and Yes! I love the s2000 since i bought it in july and its a head turner in heavy traffic situations and getting quite use to the twitch going round bands with standard wheels.What would be the cheapest way to increase the power slightly?the K and S filter ,exhaust ? etc....
tay

VeYzZii
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
thank you guys for the reassurance on the kw.It seems true to say 179kw is plenty of power but does it match up to a car with the same power and not vtec ?the s2000 on the low revs is dull till the power band comes through after 6000.So which car in actual fact is quicker on a straight line?I do find there are good days and bad days for the pull off acceleration and the weather does contribute to it.I have a ap1 and Yes! I love the s2000 since i bought it in july and its a head turner in heavy traffic situations and getting quite use to the twitch going round bands with standard wheels.What would be the cheapest way to increase the power slightly?the K and S filter ,exhaust ? etc....
tay

The power thats stated is at a single RPM. I believe with the s2 max power is at 8500 RPM odd.. As vyets said, alot is lost via drivetrain, and the different fuels, humidity, temperature, kilometers etc.. Exhaust with headers and HF Cat, judging on philipminges results.. Biggest bang for buck is FI IMO.. LOL

tay113
04-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks and i guess there is no end to upgrading....smile.

philipminge
04-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Tay, i believe i felt the most power gain from my Cat back exhaust. i didnt care about loudness so i went for the skunk 2 megapower. i wanted to stay with the twin pipes. this opened the car right up and just gave it unbelievable pickup.
it was dyno'd 2 nights after with VERY similar conditions... had a thermometer in the place n i waited till temp fell in the afternoon to pretty much the same as the previous test. pulled a 9.6rwkw gain.

i thrashed the pants off it for a few weeks (OMG exhaust was stupidly loud thought my car was gonna rattle apart) ran silencers (made it heaps quieter and very good for just a nice tone..) after the exhaust was run in.... car ran even better.... (i dont run silencer anymore it has quietened down........................a bit. lol

i then wanted a tad more, so i put in the PLM headers with high flow cat.... these are a copy of the J's racing headers n i did some research and people say that the really free up the car with the 2" primaries. Well it was perfect.... went really well with the exhaust.
my cat is meant to be high flow but i was told they suck so im thinking of changing that soon.
did another dyno run after all that with new spark plugs and oil change and pulled 134.4

so they werent perfect back to back readings but kinda got pretty happy. lol

this is kinda a streed/track/drive when ever i want car so i wanted the good response and my clutch was giving up... so i put a new light weight flywheel in (fidanza) and an excedy HD tuff clutch.....

OMG this thing revs soooo fast.
i just clocked my 1000 km run in period for the clutch and havent really thrashed her yet but it revs sooooooo fast (because of flywheel being 8 pounds).. a standing rev will hit the redline in no time what so ever! its a joke....

car lost a little bit of torque up hills (flat is fine) but once u hit 6000rpm+ car goes like a machine. i have video of car on dyno... sounds like a fast and the furious car when in vtec.... + i set off car alarms! makes it all the more fun!

but yes deff get an exhaust.... one that suits u. i went with skunk because good material used and the performance was proven.....

p.s. stock s2k is 176kw. and yeh lose about 1/3 of power by the time it gets to the wheels... which makes sense that my car is reading right.... but then everyone goes my car pulls 135kw stock i wanna cry...... i have no idea.

HENCE why im asking for a volunteer.

NEXT THURSDAY OR FRIDAY AT 3:30PM IN HEIDELBERG. i will pay for dyno to compare the 2 cars. this way i can c if these mods actually work. email me at prisoner_09@hotmail.com and if a stock car reads more than mine..... im prob gona kill myself coz i have spent a lot on this thing... n just fitted coilovers too.... so ill be pissed if im having issues.

p.s. i dont like FI for the track..... GOOD for huge gains..... but N/A is the best in my opinion.
cheers for all the info blokes!

tay113
04-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Tay, i believe i felt the most power gain from my Cat back exhaust. i didnt care about loudness so i went for the skunk 2 megapower. i wanted to stay with the twin pipes. this opened the car right up and just gave it unbelievable pickup.
it was dyno'd 2 nights after with VERY similar conditions... had a thermometer in the place n i waited till temp fell in the afternoon to pretty much the same as the previous test. pulled a 9.6rwkw gain.

i thrashed the pants off it for a few weeks (OMG exhaust was stupidly loud thought my car was gonna rattle apart) ran silencers (made it heaps quieter and very good for just a nice tone..) after the exhaust was run in.... car ran even better.... (i dont run silencer anymore it has quietened down........................a bit. lol

i then wanted a tad more, so i put in the PLM headers with high flow cat.... these are a copy of the J's racing headers n i did some research and people say that the really free up the car with the 2" primaries. Well it was perfect.... went really well with the exhaust.
my cat is meant to be high flow but i was told they suck so im thinking of changing that soon.
did another dyno run after all that with new spark plugs and oil change and pulled 134.4

so they werent perfect back to back readings but kinda got pretty happy. lol

this is kinda a streed/track/drive when ever i want car so i wanted the good response and my clutch was giving up... so i put a new light weight flywheel in (fidanza) and an excedy HD tuff clutch.....

OMG this thing revs soooo fast.
i just clocked my 1000 km run in period for the clutch and havent really thrashed her yet but it revs sooooooo fast (because of flywheel being 8 pounds).. a standing rev will hit the redline in no time what so ever! its a joke....

car lost a little bit of torque up hills (flat is fine) but once u hit 6000rpm+ car goes like a machine. i have video of car on dyno... sounds like a fast and the furious car when in vtec.... + i set off car alarms! makes it all the more fun!

but yes deff get an exhaust.... one that suits u. i went with skunk because good material used and the performance was proven.....

p.s. stock s2k is 176kw. and yeh lose about 1/3 of power by the time it gets to the wheels... which makes sense that my car is reading right.... but then everyone goes my car pulls 135kw stock i wanna cry...... i have no idea.

HENCE why im asking for a volunteer.

NEXT THURSDAY OR FRIDAY AT 3:30PM IN HEIDELBERG. i will pay for dyno to compare the 2 cars. this way i can c if these mods actually work. email me at prisoner_09@hotmail.com and if a stock car reads more than mine..... im prob gona kill myself coz i have spent a lot on this thing... n just fitted coilovers too.... so ill be pissed if im having issues.

p.s. i dont like FI for the track..... GOOD for huge gains..... but N/A is the best in my opinion.
cheers for all the info blokes!

Hi phillip, thanks for the infor as i might start off searching for anyone in adelaide to sell off a cat back exhaust or check out new ones.I recalled having straight through stainless steel for my ex-260z 2 seater and flywheel lighten did help the diff.Why i was curious about stock car of 179kw and yet i dont feel the power pulling off at low end.Guess your test run does confirm my suspicion.I cannot compare to turbos as its not fair but yet,i cant help feeling the accelerations is just too lacking at low end.Hopefully i might gain some overall smooth pickup with the exhaust.I wish you all best results for your coming test runs and enjoyed listening to your experiments..thanks tay.

Clio
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I too think the car is sluggish down low, guess that's not surprising though it's a 2 litre na engine pulling 1250kg, it's redeeming quality is top end power

euromandeluxe
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
when peak torque arrives at 7500rpm and it's only 200 odd Nm you can't expect much from the bottom of the rev range. the car was built for 6000rpm+ - I thought we all knew that :p

philipminge
04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
yes, this car was not built for drag. it had 1 purpose... that was to dominate the track. at winton my revs dont drop below 6,200 rpm. this is the honda's peak range (6000rpm to 8,500rpm). she loves it. lol

it screams like a b**ch and goes like a thief that has just robbed a bank!

these cars are truly amazing.

i rev my car out every gear at track.... neva 1 problem. i redline it every day... (service it every 5,000km) and neva had a problem.... do that with some commo and the thing will be wrecked in 2 months.

these things are built for high end power.

they dont have much down low as they are only a small engine.... Like very small......

tan strap on a nice stainless exhaust n feel the difference... be careful as some exhaust actually decrease power for s2k i.e. HKS.

do ya research first!!!!!!!!!

and boyz, everyone is complaining about lack of TQ...... for the size of engine they actually do quite well..... i have the same issue with not sluggish but just feels like something is holding it back below 6...... then when it hits 6k+ revs like no tomorrow.....

i have a solution for this issue though...................... DONT DRIVE BELOW 6K.
lol

i find with my car that i have to be very perfect with what gear i should chose..... i.e. when driving a c63 AMG i chose what eva gear i want.. if at 100 n some turbo crap comes up next to me..... i just drop down one gear and..... goodnight!

with s2k at 100...... if had to do rolling drag, i would drop to 3rd!.
if anything 85kmph and below, i would drop to second...

car is designed for high revs... dont be scared to get her rev'd up..... these engines thank you for it.

and exhaust smooths out vtec a tiny bit, but i had power gains on the dyno right from 1500rpm to 8,500rpm.
so get one!!

tay113
05-12-2010, 02:05 AM
HI phillip, thanks for your encouragement. honestly love your positive enthusiasm and i shall keep rev up.Strangely with my ex - gti,i did just the same dropping the gear down just once or twice from paddle shift each time i come across a smart car.he he!

tay113
05-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Clio,I would have to change the clutch very quickly if i keep revs up all time just for power off..Just once awhile will do.hehe!
Hope you are getting use to your car.Mines red.yours?

Clio
05-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Yes, my car is red also. I have a golf gti and the two cars are very different to drive, it feels a bit like driving a bus now lol.

tay113
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes, my car is red also. I have a golf gti and the two cars are very different to drive, it feels a bit like driving a bus now lol.

What a coincidence.red! Its just so different each time adjusting to front wheel dr than rear wheel and back.Nowadays i have mind set on the s2000 because driving in the hills without the whole roof is a nice experience and less temp with the electronics.Dsg was giving me shivers than.Like to test drive the new polo gti nx week.

VeYzZii
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
PHILIPMINGE.. How much did it cost you for the clutch + flywheel replacement??

philipminge
05-12-2010, 11:12 PM
VEYZZI - Fidanza flywheel $310. Exedy sports tuff $800 Install $300 (got it cheap as it was the guys first s2k and under quoted, have now found my new mechanic and he said about $560 for install approx)

then bled the clutch....

it grabs pretty hard. like 30-40% more than stock.... revs faster also.
but up hill with two people in the car like take off up hill, must rev a bit higher.... but i think i gained over all.

goes like a thief!

p.s. tay if u want a tiny bit more throttle response go with a cold air duct.... will go good with the exhaust..
i got mine (first mod) and felt that as soon as i stepped on the throttle, the air was there n no delay what so ever. just gets twitchy in the wet. just made car feel a tad more alive.. IMO.

andiiso
06-12-2010, 05:45 PM
ey guys, chauster asked me bout my car, thought id just post dyno sheets up from 2 different places on different days
i drive a stock (including all fluids, everything is honda) 1999 S2000 wid 115,000kms

chauster
06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
thank me later.

alvin_R
06-12-2010, 07:34 PM
for my S , i just changed Js intake, and cat bak 60s titan twin exhaust and already got 140.4 KW at wheel , so that already makes me so happy lol

lzybum
06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
ey guys, chauster asked me bout my car, thought id just post dyno sheets up from 2 different places on different days
i drive a stock (including all fluids, everything is honda) 1999 S2000 wid 115,000kms

139/137 is impressive for stock!

VeYzZii
06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
for my S , i just changed Js intake, and cat bak 60s titan twin exhaust and already got 140.4 KW at wheel , so that already makes me so happy lol

Im sure on a bad day you may be seeing as low as 130s. Like stated, temp, humidity, engine temp, oils, all make a small difference speratly, but together.. It makes a large gap..

andiiso
07-12-2010, 12:56 AM
139/137 is impressive for stock!

thanks man, i was quite impressed myself on the first run of 137 (switched pics around, 137 was first time i dyno) and then i got 139 at a seperate dyno day, was happy as lol .. but aside from modifying ur car wid catbacks n intakes, maintaining the car as best as possible (includes how u drive it) plays a big part on the figures

tay113
07-12-2010, 01:42 AM
VEYZZI - Fidanza flywheel $310. Exedy sports tuff $800 Install $300 (got it cheap as it was the guys first s2k and under quoted, have now found my new mechanic and he said about $560 for install approx)

then bled the clutch....

it grabs pretty hard. like 30-40% more than stock.... revs faster also.
but up hill with two people in the car like take off up hill, must rev a bit higher.... but i think i gained over all.

goes like a thief!

p.s. tay if u want a tiny bit more throttle response go with a cold air duct.... will go good with the exhaust..
i got mine (first mod) and felt that as soon as i stepped on the throttle, the air was there n no delay what so ever. just gets twitchy in the wet. just made car feel a tad more alive.. IMO.

ok thanks will explore further.

philipminge
07-12-2010, 07:37 AM
ANDIISO - where are the dyno places you went to?????? if possible let me know..... my car might be busted. lol

would anyone let me test their car to feel stock s2000 and in return test my NOT stock s2000....? (we will be in car together ofcourse)

i am very paranoid about people driving my car (dont even let my dad move it from driveway) but would be willing to c the difference... its worth a shot asking. lol

if your interested, let me know.

im so pissed with my results. it better be the dyno.

i look after my car better than i look after myself! this is BS

sambalam
07-12-2010, 06:01 PM
dont let it get to you too bad man, ur chasing dyno numbers here, as has been explained many many times, these can vary ALOT! do you need the dyno? are you not enjoying the car? youve posted multiple replies saying how your mods made the car better. if your trying to find if something is wrong with the car powerwise i think your better off getting a compression test and getting the car looked over

if you tie yourself up in chasing a dyno number that compares to some1 elses wats the point?

sorry if it sounds like im having a go, im not, i just think that a dyno shouldnt be a measure of what a car can do. :)

vyets
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
dont let it get to you too bad man, ur chasing dyno numbers here, as has been explained many many times, these can vary ALOT! do you need the dyno? are you not enjoying the car? youve posted multiple replies saying how your mods made the car better. if your trying to find if something is wrong with the car powerwise i think your better off getting a compression test and getting the car looked over

if you tie yourself up in chasing a dyno number that compares to some1 elses wats the point?

sorry if it sounds like im having a go, im not, i just think that a dyno shouldnt be a measure of what a car can do. :)

:thumbsup: don't be a dyno queen!

ncmx5
08-12-2010, 05:06 PM
:thumbsup: don't be a dyno queen!

lol. if this were like facebook - "like"

philipminge
08-12-2010, 06:26 PM
lol yeh i know what u guys mean...... just freakin that my car in under powered..... i dunno. did a compression test, its fine!.

c how it goes i guess....

tamay_s2k
16-12-2010, 01:21 AM
hey guys
i did a dyno run on my s2000 1 year ago full stock.
i got a reading of 134kws at the rear wheels
the car was on 122xxx

drsilliez
18-12-2010, 04:33 PM
so when does vtec on the s2000 come on?

euromandeluxe
18-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Around about 6000rpm.

dead centre on the AP1 cluster :D
http://www.marklamond.co.uk/products/s2000/media/2000-2.jpg

jrstyles
18-12-2010, 10:36 PM
i wish my km's were like that :(

Around about 6000rpm.

dead centre on the AP1 cluster :D
http://www.marklamond.co.uk/products/s2000/media/2000-2.jpg

ncmx5
19-12-2010, 08:49 AM
i wish my km's were like that :(

Buy a new car. hehehe

VeYzZii
20-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Buy a new car. hehehe

Or.. Just buy a new cluster.. LOL

philipminge
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
power output is good. ran along side another s2k and was quicker.
all is good.... for the record!

VeYzZii
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
maybe that s2 was like FULLY f&@#*ed.. :P

Torell
12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
maybe that s2 was like FULLY f&@#*ed.. :P

Hahaha thats just cruel ^^^

I too have noticed a big differance between some s2ks. From my experiences i would blame it on some people using vtec timers.
And as for being sluggish, i ran side by side with an s2k in my 88prelude 2ltr, and found up until 6k revs, cars ran very evenly. I think thats fairly impressive for an s2k 2ltr tuned for top end power only! Deffinately not sluggish