PDA

View Full Version : Accord 95 and SRS Light Problem

MIRZ
14-01-2005, 07:38 AM
hi everyone, its my first time on this forum.

i have this accord 95 Exi. about 10 days ago after fillingup fuel tank, started my car and everything went alright except SRS light stayed ON, and its still ON.

decided to make a booking with Honda dealer to check this issue. he told me it will cost $60 to check.

took the car, they tested and told me that its coming up with "CODE 52", and that means its COMPUTER is gone. need a replacement, and that will cost between $800-$1000.

According to Honda Dealer, its normal, and this computer lasts for about 10 years. but only good thing is that he did not charge me $60 inspection fee.

I am very disapointed, i never heared that Honda Computer has 10 years life, and it will cost me this much. not reayd to spend $1000 on this, which is not my fault, actualy i would say it should be considered as Honda's manufacturing fault.

i checked on net and found a way to reset this SRS light. tried that, worked, but after that double blink (means reset successful) , SRS light comes back again.

would you guys please suggest, what should i do, thanks a bunch in advance.

simpdogg
14-01-2005, 09:35 AM
get it fixed. by the way excellant choice of car you gonna do any mods?

poid
14-01-2005, 09:59 AM
i assume its the ABS computer thats stuffed?

Not a lot else you can do except change it, unless that SRS light doesnt annoy you ;)

EuroAccord13
14-01-2005, 10:00 AM
For that amount of money... Might as well get a full replacement performance ECU perhaps?

MIRZ
14-01-2005, 10:13 AM
SRS light does not annoy me, may be cheaper idea will be to get rid of SRS globe from display ;)

poid
14-01-2005, 10:51 AM
yeh you could do that, taking the dash apart is annoying though :)

Dominik
14-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Does the ABS still work? (you can check this on gravel or when its wet - or if you are game you can try it on dry road...).

I'd be looking at wreckers for a replacement ECU; probably only costs you 1/3rd of the Honda price, and i'm guessing its just plug and play...

MIRZ
14-01-2005, 11:59 AM
what ECU stand for? where can i find wreckers for honda in Melbourne.

Joh
14-01-2005, 12:10 PM
When i bought my 95' Accord VTi, i took it for a test drive first and it had the same problem the SRS light wouldn't go off i asked and they said it was only a globe, but because my other car a 323 mazda had the same problem and they told me it would cost close to $1000, i arranged with the dealer that i would not buy the car if they don't fix it first which they did, and i'm very happy... sorry this was a bit pointless, but yeah... it means you'd need to replace the whole SRS system, well at least thats what they did to mine....

MIRZ
14-01-2005, 12:41 PM
you were lucky joh. i bought this car in 2000, and now after 5 years this came up.

by the way in 5 years this is first problem i encountered with this car. i just love this baby.

Limbo
14-01-2005, 07:02 PM
SRS is your airbags. It doens't have anything to do with your ABS.

You might goto a wrecker and try and get a cheap secondhand ECU, or someone might have one for sale. Otherwise get a whole aftermarket system. I know Apexi makes a plug-in system for Civic and Intergra not sure about accords though

ECU-MAN
14-01-2005, 08:06 PM
yeah were did ABS and performance ECU come from, :)

ECU stands for Eletronic Control Unit

your ecu shouldnt be 10 years old, there was a recal in 1998 and all 94-95 and 97-98 Accordds had the SRS ECU replace ( free ) so if your missed out you might get lucky and score a free ecu from Honda.

the new ecu look like this, if your is different let me know.

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/pics/srs-1.jpg
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/pics/srs-2.jpg
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/pics/srs-3.jpg

poid
14-01-2005, 09:52 PM
lol ABS came from me, i meant to type SRS and typed ABS for some reason!

MIRZ
21-01-2005, 09:14 AM
thanks ECU-MAN for this info.
i found this unit next to fuse box on driver side. information wrriten on it is as follows:

38600-SV4-921-M1
JAPAN 142987
DENSHIGIKEN V492

its definately different from what you mentioned. do you want me to post its picture to make it more clear?

Benji
21-01-2005, 11:23 AM
I rang honda to try and get mine fixed for free, they said they never heard of the problem and they have no recalls outstanding, i find this hard to beleive since loads of ppl have the same SRS light problem in their 94/95 accords including one of my mates.

Has anyone else tried ringing Honda?

zco
21-01-2005, 11:26 AM
my cousin has a peugeot 206. she has exact same problem. but her car is only 3 years old. she took it to dealer. told her it was gonna be 2k. they didnt want to touch it.. because it might set off the airbags.. so they have to send it away.. anyway.. my uncle checked it out.. mucked around with some cables. .and found that one of htem was half disconnected. he plugged it in.. and light is off.. i have no idea what it was.. might be different on hondas. just a trick u might wanna try.. just incase it does save you 1k to fix

MIRZ
21-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I rang honda to try and get mine fixed for free, they said they never heard of the problem and they have no recalls outstanding, i find this hard to beleive since loads of ppl have the same SRS light problem in their 94/95 accords including one of my mates.

Has anyone else tried ringing Honda?

where did you ring HONDA? i mean did you ring some dealer or on Honda direct number. if you dont mind can you pass me that number, thanks.

ECU-MAN
21-01-2005, 01:00 PM
thanks ECU-MAN for this info.
i found this unit next to fuse box on driver side. information wrriten on it is as follows:

38600-SV4-921-M1
JAPAN 142987
DENSHIGIKEN V492

its definately different from what you mentioned. do you want me to post its picture to make it more clear?
dude I think your looking at the cruse controll control unit, I forgot to mention that the srs unit lives under the dash on the floor tunnel behind the radio, you can access it from the pasangers side floor well, you might have to remove a black cover fromthe heater control lever to get a good look at it. and please take a photo of your srs unit. I can show you what the old one looks like if you need to compare.

MIRZ
21-01-2005, 01:22 PM
i will check this out today after work and post details here.

other thing is that i dont have cruise control in my car, then why they have installed this cruise control unit?

is there any way i can get installed cruise control in my car, if it already has this unit, thanks.

ECU-MAN
21-01-2005, 02:57 PM
95 accord should have cruise, do you have the switches on your wheel and a button on your dash on the right hand side of the column. anyway that might not be the cruise ecu it could be another ecu

MIRZ
21-01-2005, 03:09 PM
opened passenger side, now i can see SRS ECU, but it looks very difficult to open and see it from the top. all i can see so far written "M1" on transparent plastic cover on top of it.

seems like, i will need to open driver side too, to get reach to other side of SRS ECU screw, am i right??

MIRZ
21-01-2005, 03:10 PM
there are no button for cruse control in my accord :(

MIRZ
21-01-2005, 08:53 PM
just checking on net, and found "M2" is for Accord 96-97.

and for 94-94 looks very differenet from one what i have it in my car. mine one looks exactly same as pictures posted by ECU-MAN.

ECU-MAN
21-01-2005, 10:06 PM
just checking on net, and found "M2" is for Accord 96-97.

and for 94-94 looks very differenet from one what i have it in my car. mine one looks exactly same as pictures posted by ECU-MAN.
sorry to say then your ecu was done in the recall, its gonna cost you for a new one :(

MIRZ
25-01-2005, 10:18 PM
then better i will learn to live with this SRS red light right in middle of speedo :)

mini78
27-01-2005, 07:15 PM
do u think i could have a chance of getting mine replaced? ill check the ecu number.. my lighthas been on for ages!i didnt know there even was a recall.. do u know who to ring ifit is free? btw. on the coast the entire ecubrand new is800 from hondarec and theyll give u instructions on how to installi t etc.. otherwise second hand is 450but they said they are hard to find if u find one at all

mini78
27-01-2005, 07:36 PM
its friggin hard to get to.. may wait til someone stronger than me can have a look.. it is under the metalfloor pan below the glove box?or is it behind the black panel in the central part behind the radio? i dontwant to brake nething checkin.. i dont think its been replaced only ause i got log books saying when timing belts were replaced but nothin about no srs chip

28RAG
27-01-2005, 08:04 PM
just take the dash cluster out and disconnect it, or tape over the light.

thats all i can think of.

ECUMAN you know your shit aswell! im in the proces sof studying up on honda-tech.com

ECU-MAN
27-01-2005, 08:07 PM
the srs unit lives under the dash on the floor tunnel behind the radio, you can access it from the pasangers side floor well, you might have to remove a black cover from the heater control lever to get a good look at it.

if your SRS unit doesnt look like the one in the photo take a photo of your SRS unit and Ill tell you if you missed the recall.

ECU-MAN
27-01-2005, 08:13 PM
just take the dash cluster out and disconnect it, or tape over the light.

thats all i can think of.

ECUMAN you know your shit aswell! im in the proces sof studying up on honda-tech.com
thanks dude, but the ECU-MAN is dedicated to OZHonda :)

PS its a really bad idea ti disable your SRS light. as in the event of an acident, insurance companies and authorities may really F@#K you up. especally if someone gets injured.

MIRZ
27-01-2005, 08:41 PM
thats very ture, because insurance companies are alwys after any kind of excue :)