PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack dilemma.

mocchi
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
So. I bought an EG, no RWC yet. Did bushings, clutch, and other maintenance routine so I can pass RWC.

I installed an ITR rack the other day, started the car and found out that PS fluid is leaking from one of the steering rack boot.

I thought it was only 1 - 2 drip, opened up the rack boot and PS fluid gushed out like blood gushing out of severed head in cheap ass horror movies. yep. I know by now that the rack seal is busted.

FFFUUUUU.jpg

not sure if I wanna go back under the car and spend 5+ hrs to swap rack again when the engine gonna be taken out in about 3 months. Taking out the rack when engine is out gonna be so much easier in EG.

Thinking of just dumping the PS and convert it to manual rack instead but unsure if by doing this, I can pass RWC test.

Question:
1. Can I pass RWC without PS?
2. If I do convert it to manual rack, does it overheat?
3. Or should I loop the PS pump hard lines and loop the rack. So the rack becomes a manual rack, PS pump just circulate on its own not connected to the rack.
They're no longer connected. Giving the impression that PS pump still runs even though it is not connected to steering rack. lol.

I'm really bummed out.

thanks for the help too btw.

Bludger
06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
option 3 sounds good.

just don't let them see it. (rwc inspectors)

deal with it as you go along.

good luck.

mocchi
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
yea bau,

gonna go enzed tomorrow, get some fittings and hose clamps. once i get rwc, ill just remove all PS components.
stupid ebay. bah.

string
06-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm going through a similar thing with my DA.

No powersteering components at all. The DA has a metal plate which blocks the view of the valve-body on the rack, so from underneath it doesn't look like it's been modified. Hopefully the inspector will just assume that the steering is super heavy from the factory :D

mocchi
06-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm going through a similar thing with my DA.

No powersteering components at all. The DA has a metal plate which blocks the view of the valve-body on the rack, so from underneath it doesn't look like it's been modified. Hopefully the inspector will just assume that the steering is super heavy from the factory :D

lucky you, on the eg everything is visible. my only hope is to tamper the hoses under IM and smear some grease+dirt on the fittings and hose clamps so it looks consistent with my dirty bay.

haha....
no haha you idiot. youre in deep shit. :(

mocchi
15-12-2010, 11:49 PM
so. i slapped myself in the face and stopped being such a lazy bum.

i swapped with another rack. mnc got me a rack, picked up at his friends place and it was cool.
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/breadbaconncheese/P1010798.jpg
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/breadbaconncheese/P1010797.jpg

bitch pin wasnt so bitchy, didnt give me hard time when i took old rack out, put new rack back in. swapped with new boots, bursons gave me wrong boot.
went back there, forgot to bring invoice. had to buy another one. mfker.

so got meself some new boots, put em on, connect hardlines, filled up fluids and start the car. all good. :thumbsup:
used some plumb bob to center rack relative to suspension arms.

found out some transmission oil leak from right side driveshaft oil seal. just great.
extra 2 hours of work to go to honda, taking out driveshaft and that damn hub nut!
$27 for seal. $20 for tranny fluid, just fking great.

in the end, everything is now fine and dandy. hope i dont encounter anymore issues.

vinnY
16-12-2010, 12:14 AM
nice one
those racks are mighty fun to remove/fit aren't they?

grifty
16-12-2010, 11:14 PM
nice one
those racks are mighty fun to remove/fit aren't they?

alot of racks on honda's are lol