PDA

View Full Version : B16B shutting down randomly!

nickk
06-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone has encountered this problem...
I have a B16B with a ITR Crank, tuned with a Hondata S300.
While cruising the car will randomly turn off... no engine light or anything just cruising one second and then the cars off the next.

If I put the clutch in, turn the ignition off and on and let the clutch back out it usually just starts again as normal and I keep driving.

The car is healthy, doesn't misfire, doesn't burn oil, good fuel consumption.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the Hondata or not, it seems like it loses ignition.

Only thing I can think of at this stage is:

1. Hondata is set to kill the motor when coolant reaches 104 degrees celcius
2. Hondata has Minimum RPM is set to 800, if it drops below that, it kills the motor.
3. TPS issue

I've plugged in the laptop and SManager isn't coming up with any fault codes so it's got me fkd!

Any thoughts?

vinnY
06-12-2010, 09:30 AM
shot in the dark, main relay?

nickk
06-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Haven't checked, turn ignition on and check with a test light?

EDIT: Actually, because it's an intermittent issue maybe just swap over the relay because it will probably test fine?

I've noticed that it the car has been idling for a while and I give it WOT through 1 or 2 gears it will shut down.

for example: waiting to go onto the freeway at a set of lights, miss a green light because of too much traffic, keep waiting.... lights turn green again, give the car a little vtec down the on ramp and by the time im ready to merge, car is off... clutch in, turn ignition off and back on, clutch out, keep driving. weird :S

vinnY
06-12-2010, 09:42 AM
check the diy (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?31796-DIY-Main-PGMFI-Relay-repair&highlight=main+relay)

nickk
06-12-2010, 09:47 AM
thanks man.

xtnsevolution
06-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Same thing happened to my civic. first we thought it was the alarm immobilising the engine while i was driving, As in, I'd be driving at 100kph then i'd watch the tacho drop off to 0 rpm as the car literally stalled while driving.. Turned out it was the contacts inside my ignition switch were all burnt out. Not sure wether it could be the same problem. easy to pull it apart and have a look. Hope this helps.

Christian.

nickk
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah I think your on the right track here, I know that its something small. When you say ignition switch, you mean the barrel right? I'm going have a good look over the car tonight.

Limbo
07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
check that the distributor connections are all good & that the ignitor connections are also tight

nickk
08-12-2010, 02:07 PM
checked connections, applied some conductive grease here and there, chucked my air filter in the washing machine... car hasn't stalled yet! fingers crossed. Might still resolder the main relay.

xtnsevolution
08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah I think your on the right track here, I know that its something small. When you say ignition switch, you mean the barrel right? I'm going have a good look over the car tonight.

Yep I meant the contacts in the barrel.

nickk
13-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks like it was the main relay, it looked 100% when i pulled it apart, re-soldered everything and reassembled, haven't had the problem since.

*edit* has been 5 days now, no problem so far, pretty sure it's fixed.