PDA

View Full Version : Pre 1986 which fuel

carlyboy
14-01-2005, 04:19 PM
I own a 1979 Accord with the 1602cc EL engine which has only done 65,000 km so it's in EC.

My workshop manual says to run it on low lead regular petrol of at least 91 RON. ( probably the original standard or regular leaded petrol). I've been using regular unleaded and i add a valve seat lubricant.
Is regular unleaded OK for this model and does it need the lubricant? Does it have hardened valve seat inserts?

Different sites give me different answers. Appreciate any comments.

Usual Suspect
14-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Nice car mate, i got a 83 Accrd 3dr with a EL1602 in it aswell.

I run mine on unledaed, but ever 4th or 5th time i fill up i either put LRP in or the good stuff (ie BP Ultimate, Caltex Vortex etc). I used to also add a bottle of octane booster that my dads company sells to every full tank, garunteed to raise the RON by at least 3-4.

As long as u dont continously run her on unleaded youll be fine, if u do ull screw the seals.

What mods you got on your car?

EuroAccord13
14-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Don't petrol station have lead replacement petrol you can fill your car up with?

SINISTR
14-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Don't petrol station have lead replacement petrol you can fill your car up with?

theres been a report on the news last week mate - they are fasing that fuel out, and soon who ever has a LRP car will have to either convert their car to ULP ($800) or ad the additive to the fuel every tank full which is something like $10 per tank.

I guess im lucky cos my 83 Crx runs on Unleaded.

I suggest you run the Ultimate 98 mate - its meant to cover all LRP and ULP in one... so no need for aditives - but check that to be sure. It would work out cheaper anyway... cos its like 9cents a Litre more for Ultimate98, and will cost $3.50 instead of $10 every tankful.

Limbo
14-01-2005, 06:54 PM
GOTO BP's website. They had a manual in pdf that shows which cars that was released as leaded and was able to use unleaded. Have a look you might not need the leaded or lead replacement stuff. This was the case for an old corona i had.