PDA

View Full Version : Respray Question (Not just "where can I get a cheap respray?")

Indie
09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey guys.

I recently bought a silver GSi that has a few scratches and scrapes on the front bumper, and a couple of nicks elsewhere. I also removed the spoiler, so I figured I'd put grommets in the holes until I get them bogged and painted. I was planning on getting all of those scrapes sanded and touched up, and getting the door trims sprayed body colour at the same time.

But I was thinking that ideally, I'd like a respray. Black would be lovely, but unfortunately, that would be pretty expensive. Getting a same-colour respray is obviously cheaper, but pretty pointless, considering I don't really love the colour to begin with.

So my question is: Would I be able to get my car sprayed more cheaply if I had it done in a darkish grey/silver, as it will already have what is effectively a silver undercoat? Or does it not work like that? I figured it would be similar to a same colour respray, because silver and grey are quite close. I'd be happy with a decent enough closed-door spray, too; this isn't a show car.

Thanks. An advice is very much appreciated.

mocchi
09-12-2010, 08:47 PM
always spray same colour, if i was to spray my car different colour i would spray it inside out.
spray inside out is expensive. spray just outside gonna look funny. but thats just me.

another option i would consider is to sell the car and get other car with colour i like.

never ever get cheap spray paint job. esp at workshops. the finish is absolutely horrendous. $800-$1000 is cheap spray job.
you can still see sanding marks from their orbital. and most likely there wont be any gloss, more like dull 'gloss'

no one would want to work hard and get paid peanuts. no one.

mnc
09-12-2010, 08:48 PM
If your going darker than than your original colour the pricing should be the same if not similar.

Its only when you go from a dark colour to a bright colour, only then will it cost you more money as more prepping is needed to be done.

mocchi
09-12-2010, 08:51 PM
or other option is to get backyarder job, who can paint using urethane paint. not acrylic paint.
pay half as deposit, pay other half upon completion, or agreement on finish quality. whether it's acceptable.
slight orange peel are expected.

i painted a car myself inside out, had to buff it real good to get the quality i want.
was hard work and i personally wouldnt do it over again for $1000.

good luck.

Indie
09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
So what would I be able to get done for 2k?

mocchi
09-12-2010, 09:25 PM
So what would I be able to get done for 2k?

outside and door jams i would guess. maybe with engine bay too i dont know, ask around.

Indie
09-12-2010, 09:32 PM
outside and door jams i would guess. maybe with engine bay too i dont know, ask around.Thanks for the help, mate. Just a same colour spray, or a black or grey? I'd honestly be happy with an outside/jambs spray.

dougie_504
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
or other option is to get backyarder job, who can paint using urethane paint. not acrylic paint.
pay half as deposit, pay other half upon completion, or agreement on finish quality. whether it's acceptable.
slight orange peel are expected.

i painted a car myself inside out, had to buff it real good to get the quality i want.
was hard work and i personally wouldnt do it over again for $1000.

good luck.

Funny, another friend of mine prep'd his entire car and then helped with the respray (inside and out). He also said that he would never, ever do it again just to save $1000 or so lol.

Thanks for the help, mate. Just a same colour spray, or a black or grey? I'd honestly be happy with an outside/jambs spray.

I think the silver looks good. If you just spray the skin and jams black then remember your bay will be silver and IMO that looks weird.

So I recommend just doing some repair work so that it looks clean enough. $2000 isn't a lot of money to do a respray, even a skin job (if you want good quality) but should be more than enough to fix it up.
Remember, that brand new respray is just grief waiting to happen - somebody will door you, key you, scrape you, or you'll get a stone chip. Then it's not perfect and if you're anything like me you'll be a little devastated. Having a near-perfect and clean exterior is a good thing, especially if you don't have a garage to protect it.

I know a good panel beater who works for a competitive price just because he works alone and doesn't have to pay wages and much upkeep etc if you're interested. His work is good. He doesn't use an oven, which would always be better, but I've gotten him to do repairs on my Civic three times (only one was my fault though lol), and he's also repaired my brother's car and my dad's car. Good bloke. PM me if you want details.

YBJLS4
09-12-2010, 11:12 PM
just go moon rock grey.

inside out is exxy as, gotta take out the engine n shit. labour rara

mnc
09-12-2010, 11:41 PM
labour to remove engine and put it back in should be around 800-1k alone.

Interior can be done by you if your familiar with it.

Remember 2k is still a lot of money. So use it wisely =]

tiksie
10-12-2010, 12:40 AM
If your going darker than than your original colour the pricing should be the same if not similar.

Its only when you go from a dark colour to a bright colour, only then will it cost you more money as more prepping is needed to be done.

Not really man.

If I was to spray a black car white, I wouldn't charge someone more.. Same prepping time goes into it and it's going to be primer/grey at the end of the day before you apply colour anyway.

They don't need to take the engine out.

They just need to remove everything off the firewall and around the strut towers and what not. It's not THAT hard, but it obviously does cost more.