PDA

View Full Version : civic with b16b overheating

jspec civic
10-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Help!!!

guys, i think i have got an oveheating problem on my b16b. temp gauge goes up after driving for over 30mins but only when car is in traffic but not when car is moving also when air con is turned on. fan comes on when it suppose too, no major leaks (except very very little wet spot under the thermostat. i've replaced the thermostat and the switch. all hoses are fine. no coolant lost. I've bleed the coolant 3times. What can the problem be? can the wet spot cause under the thermostat cause the temp to go up?

thanks

quangsuke
10-12-2010, 08:35 AM
could have a block in your coolant hose going to the engine...

markismaximus
10-12-2010, 08:53 AM
have you checked all the stuff people have mentioned in your 2 other coolant/radiator threads?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?142919-coolant-temp-switch..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?140632-radiator-fan-not-running

markoJEK1
10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
With your 'bleeding' method, do you physically see the coolant level go down when the fan turns on , ie thermostat opens at the right temp.

~Sp33~
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I know you say the fan is coming on when it's supposed to, but what you've listed is a text book case of your fan not working.

Has it recently been installed? Is it pushing instead of pulling air?

jspec civic
10-12-2010, 04:00 PM
have you checked all the stuff people have mentioned in your 2 other coolant/radiator threads?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?142919-coolant-temp-switch..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?140632-radiator-fan-not-running
checkd all that stuff...got all that fixd, car was running til last week..

marko i will have to check that.

sp33 the rad/fan was from the motor swap done acouple of yrs ago..

ralph_ef9
12-12-2010, 04:19 PM
i got a same prob with my EF last year, in the end, I found the radiator fan relay sometimes not working.
just replaced with a new unit.

jspec civic
13-12-2010, 04:58 PM
i got a same prob with my EF last year, in the end, I found the radiator fan relay sometimes not working.
just replaced with a new unit.i diff know that the fan works it comes on when it needs too..can anyonr jsut tell me if the wet spot from the thermostat can cause the temp to jump up...i;ve notice after drving, when the fan comes on the temp goes up too...

ralph_ef9
13-12-2010, 11:13 PM
if ur fan comes on and temp still goes up...
that can be a lot of thing, first u may loosing coolant, need to bleed the cooling system, faulty radiator cap, head gasket...
have a look the spark plug if they had rust on it.
take out the thermostat and test it.

jspec civic
14-12-2010, 12:27 PM
if ur fan comes on and temp still goes up...
that can be a lot of thing, first u may loosing coolant, need to bleed the cooling system, faulty radiator cap, head gasket...
have a look the spark plug if they had rust on it.
take out the thermostat and test it. thanks.i have done almost the above..the only thing i havent is check the rad cap or replaced it..im not losing any coolant. my rad hose (upper & bottom) seems very tight, feels like its gona burst. Is this normal? whta they suppose to feel like?

markismaximus
14-12-2010, 03:34 PM
my rad hose (upper & bottom) seems very tight, feels like its gona burst. Is this normal?

do they feel like they're going to burst? or look like they're going to burst? if they're ballooning its time for new hoses. Doubt its related to your problem though

markismaximus
14-12-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?124310-Ballooning-Radiator-Hose&p=2578535&viewfull=1

~Sp33~
19-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Start the car with the rad cap off. Let the car warm up to temp and look to see if the coolant is flowing, or just sitting. If it's not circulating then there could be a blockage, or a waterpump issue.

jspec civic
21-12-2010, 08:05 AM
how do i know if the coolant is circulating?

nickk
21-12-2010, 08:17 AM
1. Fill your radiator full and overflow to the correct level, keep the radiator cap OFF
2. Put your heater on hot.
3. Start your car and let it idle.
4. Wait.
5. Wait.
6. When your fan kicks in, you will see the coolant level in the radiator drop as thermostat is opening.
7. Wait for the fan to stop.
8. Wait for the fan to start again. (Car still idling)
9. Wait for the fan to stop.
10. Once the fan has stopped for the second time, replace your radiator cap and switch your car off.

p.s. any leaks from your water pump? does your coolant stay green or does it go rusty?

jspec civic
22-12-2010, 08:10 AM
if there is a blockage, where could it be?

~Sp33~
22-12-2010, 08:47 PM
The most common place is the radiator.

If it's not there, it could be anywhere.

You could try removing it and having it flow tested.

Dash
24-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Get a pressure test for your coolant system.. Also back flush your radiator running water from the bottom of the radiator and letting it spill out from the top..