PDA

View Full Version : cons of diesel cars?

MR.H
12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
hey,

just wondering if there is any cons of having a diesel car? thanks

DLO01
12-12-2010, 07:27 PM
http://articlestorehouse.com/Art/8332/290/Pros-and-Cons-of-Diesels-If-You-are-Considering-Buying-a-Diesel-Powered-Car.html
^^^^^^

na-118
12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
not all light vehicle mechanics have experience in diesel injection

V73C
12-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I dunno about the article but if maintained well diesels will last long. Have a mate with a patrol, unopened engine, has well and over 500,000 kms on it and still going strong. And all the new turbo diesels seems to be fairly fuel efficient. The BT50 work ute im driving at the moment seems to be able to pull much more kms out of the fuel tank compared to my dads daily pulsar.

gumus89
12-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Diesel engines are almost always more fuel efficient than petrol engines. The fuel itself has more energy per litre and the compression ratio is usually much higher.
The downside is older vehicles piss me off so so much when I have to sit behind them. Blowing huge amounts of black smelly particulates.

yellows2k
12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
mechanical diesel engines last hundreds of thousands of kms.
newer common rail diesels r very fuel efficient, more than the mechanical diesels
the poms and euros love oil burners for a reason, petrol is expensive and diesel is cheaper, and they get more mileage out of them.

V73C
12-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Thats why try get a turbo diesel. Non turbo seems to huff and puff

dougie_504
12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Generally less HP, no? Enough of a reason for me, just gimme my petrol-fed VTEC and I'm happy :)

aaronng
13-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Generally less HP, no? Enough of a reason for me, just gimme my petrol-fed VTEC and I'm happy :)

HP is great if you are revving it out to peak power (7000-8000rpm for DOHC VTEC) and full throttle. However, most cars spend the majority of their time in the 1000-4000rpm range with partial throttle. In this case, torque/diesel wins. The biggest negative is still the black exhaust soot smoke which is carcinogenic but certain diesels like the Accord Euro diesel that we don't get have a special cat and filter to prevent the black stuff from coming out.

dougie_504
13-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Of course, but he was asking about the cons, not specific to the revs. Since we're on a Honda forum I would think most people enjoy having a bit of power up top - no replacement for HP!

curtis265
13-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Dougie, you're right. Generally less HP but the torque curve is what you really feel. and diesels have heaps of torque, so u could cruise in 5th gear and still overtake things without changing gear instead of dropping to third and flogging it

pinoy-boi
13-12-2010, 02:31 PM
depends on what kind of diesel vehicle your talking about? if it's the new Common Rail system, there isnt to much that can go wrong. im a diesel mechanic myself. and the only problems we usually get is either dirty fuel going into the system and blocking up injectors and the occasional pump leaking coz of the additives in some of the cheaper branded fuels.

as aaronng said, they have awesome torque, very fuel efficient (my old bosses ford focus TDI would get 900km per 45L on the highway and 800ish around town, and after we put a aftermarket chip in it, damn, would leave most of ur b16's behind.

MR.H
13-12-2010, 03:15 PM
depends on what kind of diesel vehicle your talking about? if it's the new Common Rail system, there isnt to much that can go wrong. im a diesel mechanic myself. and the only problems we usually get is either dirty fuel going into the system and blocking up injectors and the occasional pump leaking coz of the additives in some of the cheaper branded fuels.

as aaronng said, they have awesome torque, very fuel efficient (my old bosses ford focus TDI would get 900km per 45L on the highway and 800ish around town, and after we put a aftermarket chip in it, damn, would leave most of ur b16's behind.

im interested in the VW 77TDI Trendline , does that use the "new common rail system"

i like turbo diesel's cause of the torque down low aswell as the fuel efficiency

pinoy-boi
13-12-2010, 03:32 PM
im interested in the VW 77TDI Trendline , does that use the "new common rail system"

i like turbo diesel's cause of the torque down low aswell as the fuel efficiency

Yeah it is buddy, a awesome car if i must say, was looking at getting one for my next car, but juts abit out of my price range. will be selling up my civic for something abit more fuel efficeint, getting abit older and abit more wiser got other stuff that i wanna spend my money on nowa days like traveling and what not

aaronng
13-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Of course, but he was asking about the cons, not specific to the revs. Since we're on a Honda forum I would think most people enjoy having a bit of power up top - no replacement for HP!

Don't get me wrong, I love my HP too :thumbsup:
Unfortunately in today's climate, making full use of my paltry 140 kW @ 6800rpm will end up with my Honda being impounded for hooning. :(

My daily drive now makes peak torque at 2900rpm :(:(:(

dougie_504
13-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Sigh. I guess you're right. I even drove my dad's '98 Fairmont Ghia the last 4 days, which has the 4L straight 6 Tickford engine from the XR6. Not a diesel, but I admit I loved the torque, especially when cruising the Great Ocean Road and back to Melbourne through Forest Road. Having that low-mid end responsiveness just felt really 'tuff bro' compared to my DD SOHC D :(

curtis265
13-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Aaron what's your DD?

That's what i liked about driving the FD civic, that was very midrangey