PDA

View Full Version : Car wont rev pass 3k rpm

Shimian
12-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey all,

Just installed a double din headunit. Then took it out for a drive and noticed the battery and malfunction indicator lights came on. The car cannot rev pass 3k rpm and the car begins to jerk badly. Can anyone advise what is wrong?

thanks

Tai
12-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Did you touch any grounding leads?

Check all the terminals are tightended properly and and grounding points in the engine bay.

MikeyG
12-12-2010, 05:39 PM
check your throttle cable it might be stuck

Shimian
12-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your reply. I only installed the headunit (no amps, subs, speakers). So basically just wired up whatever is on the harness + a steering wheel controller. I heatshrinked all the wires so theres nothing exposed. The unit works fine, the car starts fine and all other electrical bits are fine.

Tai: I grounded something to the car body (near the fuse) with a screw and its nice and night. Check all the terminals are tightended properly and and grounding points in the engine bay What do you mean? I did not touch anything in the engine bay.

MikeyG: Where do i find the throttle cable? Sorry, noob here

curtis265
13-12-2010, 02:25 PM
the ECU will stop you from revving past 3k to protect the engine, just incase something is seriously wrong. Get that CEL cleared

Try resettign the ECU again - give it a good 10 minutes or so

Lukey
13-12-2010, 04:07 PM
the ECU will stop you from revving past 3k to protect the engine, just incase something is seriously wrong. Get that CEL cleared

Try resettign the ECU again - give it a good 10 minutes or so

he said it was the battery light.

curtis265
13-12-2010, 04:40 PM
he also said malfunction indicator, which is what CEL's called in the manual.

obtw Does the battery light stay on when you're driving? might be a clue :S??

Lukey
13-12-2010, 05:05 PM

oh i misread lol. read it as battery malfunction light. brain didnt see the and in there lol

Shimian
13-12-2010, 05:58 PM

The battery light stays on. I didnt take it for a drive since. I did standing revs and it goes whoop whoop whoop whoop once it hits 3k rpm.
I removed the radio fuse to see if it was my new headunit was causing the problem, but still the same. Its like the car is choking at 3k rpm.
Do i take it to a mechanic or an autoelectrician to have it checked out? I was told they will use an OBD2 reader to see what is the problem. A friend said it might be something to do with a sensor cos its not reving pass 3k.

curtis265
13-12-2010, 08:43 PM
u must've misread me. The ECU will not allow the engine to pass 3k RPM when there's a CEL, It's a feature of the 8thgen civics.

It's to protect itself should something be majorly wrong with the car.

Shimian
13-12-2010, 09:06 PM
u must've misread me. The ECU will not allow the engine to pass 3k RPM when there's a CEL, It's a feature of the 8thgen civics.

It's to protect itself should something be majorly wrong with the car.

So what to do from here? Take it to an auto elec to do an OBD2 read?

or just taking the positive off the battery, leave for 30min and it will do the trick?

edit: taken off the positve from battery as we speak...leaving it for about 15min

Shimian
13-12-2010, 09:50 PM
update: No go after taking positive terminal off battery for about 15min. The Malfunction Indicator and the Battery icon comes on. :(

EK1 Civic
13-12-2010, 10:21 PM
You take the negative off LOL never take positive off, unless negative is taken off first. If you take positive off first and touch the car, body etc. You can short out the battery or yourself.

curtis265
13-12-2010, 10:21 PM
ahhh bummer man. You'll need to find out what that code is. Got any mates with OBDII scanners?

you must've farked something electrical up installing the HU..

Shimian
13-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately no one has access to OBD2 scanner :(
My mate and I made sure the wiring were done properly. All wires were heatshrinked and headunit works 100%. I even removed the radio fuse to see if it was the case. But the icon still comes up

dorikin
14-12-2010, 06:30 AM
watch and learn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iop-SD3UkB8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iop-SD3UkB8)

curtis265
14-12-2010, 01:08 PM
epic link! i totally forgot u could do that!

Shimian
15-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Took my car to a mech. He used an OBD2 reader that printed out the codes. I was actually freaking out when he was showing it to me. I told him i serviced my car regularly and last one was around sept. Car only about 35,000km. He was actually surprised that it spat out all this. So he ended up resetting the ECU? using the reader device. The CEL/Malfunction light is off and asked me to drive it a bit and might come back within a few km or a few days. So far so good. Drove for a few kms

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/Codes.jpg

curtis265
15-12-2010, 05:16 PM
can't read that properly.

MAF sensor voltage low - did you disconnected the maf sensor before? I had that one before i think.

Is this what the rest says??
ELD voltage (is that wha tit says?)
CMP sensor no pulse..
Ho2S (B1) S2 heater circuit malfunction
alternator FR terminal circuit /IGP circuit low voltage

Shimian
15-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Weird how all this came up after installing a headunit.

P0102 MAF SENSOR VOLTAGE LOW
P1298 ELD VOLTAGGE HIGH
P0340 CMP SENSOR A NO PULSE
P0141 HO2S (B1) S2 HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
P16BC ALTERNATOR FR TERMINAL CIRCUIT/IGP CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE

edit: did not touch the maf. Only thing ive removed in the area is the airbox lid to clean my filter

Shimian
16-12-2010, 05:51 PM
What do you guys think about this scanner? Ive emailed the seller and they said it works 100% on our FD2

http://cars.ebay.com.au/Handhold-OBD2-EOBD-Auto-SCANNER-GS400_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ190370605640

Apparently my car doesnt have those issues just that my car locked up due to installing a new HU. I still need to install my steering wheel controls access controller and im scared it will lock my car up again. Ill be prepared this time with a OBD2 scanner. Hope it works.

Any thoughts?

curtis265
16-12-2010, 10:57 PM
A scanner will diagnose the problem once it occurs, not prevent it. Do you know how the dude cleared it ?

Shimian
17-12-2010, 05:45 AM
he used the scanner to do it. Just pressed the clear button, waited for about 1 min, then wallah!

Im leaning towards getting a scangauge 2. http://www.scangauge.com.au/products/ Reads/Clears codes but also has trip comp and digital gauges.

curtis265
17-12-2010, 12:13 PM
oh ok, my bad.

That looks good! go for it!