PDA

View Full Version : Changing factory speakers for fd2???

rcfd2civic
12-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey guys can anyone tell me if theres a difference if i change my stock speakers into a good speakers like rockford fosgate??? Does anyone tried that set up??Any opinions please, thinking to upgrade without touching factory HU, thanks

GaDgeT-CRX
12-12-2010, 10:11 PM
HU standard output <15W RMS, not worth the hassle unless u add an amplifier to the equation... most aftermarket speakers will take upto 150W RMS, big difference in both volume and clarity if you up the power

Try looking for a 4x100W amp to run the fronts, HU for the rears, and bridge the other 2 amp channels to run a sub

rcfd2civic
12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I'll just swap the factory speakers and the new ones without touching HU?? Is there gonna be a difference when it comes to sound quality?? At the moment factory speakers for fd2 was good with a bit of bass already but not really satisfied wants more...

GaDgeT-CRX
12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
as mentioned bro, its more about the power (RMS) than the speaker... good start to change the factory (paper cone) speakers, with better quality replacements, but the sound quality difference will be negligible until u up the power thats driving them

geez85
12-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I was in the same boat as you before. I've actually changed my speakers first before i changed my HU. I have Rockford fosgate Punch for the front and back powered by Soundstream Amp. The sound was a little better but not a huge improvement.
Once I changed the HU, there was a HUGE improvement and was happy with the results. Hope that helps you out abit.

chichichibo
12-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I was in the same boat as you before. I've actually changed my speakers first before i changed my HU. I have Rockford fosgate Punch for the front and back powered by Soundstream Amp. The sound was a little better but not a huge improvement.
Once I changed the HU, there was a HUGE improvement and was happy with the results. Hope that helps you out abit.

Hi, may I ask what is a HU?
And so, does it mean, I can increase the sound with the stock speaker by replacing the amp? Then where is the amp located?
Thanks a lot

GaDgeT-CRX
13-12-2010, 12:07 AM
HU = Headunit.. amp placement is up to your creativity, under the seats, boot, behind the dash.. depending on size of amp in question, and wiring skillz

Adding the amp depends on whether the headunit has RCA (pre-amp) outputs. most aftermarket HU's will have a minimum of 4 RCA outputs to cater for external amps

rcfd2civic
13-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys i'll probably change my HU and add subs and amp to power up my system, thats the only way i guess... :)

Stig
13-12-2010, 10:40 AM
if you are tight on money best thing to do is just change the HU first, the move from there, even with a change in head unit and stock speakers i found there was an improvement in sound quality (then again it also depends on what HU you use, cheap ones vs expensive ones), mine was a iva-w502ev btw

i have some stuff for sale to get you started for your sound system if you are interested, click my for sale thread

xenonkuraz
13-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm still using the stock headunit as I'm finding it hard to get a nice din...anyone recommend something?

Stig
13-12-2010, 03:21 PM
the alpine double din? or pioneer ones

GaDgeT-CRX
13-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm still using the stock headunit as I'm finding it hard to get a nice din...anyone recommend something?

Personal taste is the first consideration.. SQ and features is the 2nd

Depends whether you need the HU to provide advanced tuning features ie time alignment, xover points and EQ settings.. Stick with brand names, dont go for an 'all in one' ebay special that promises the world. A lot more R&D goes into such brands as alpine, pioneer, eclipse etc than your generic HU's..

Go as far as your budget will take you, but try to think ahead to whether you will hook up external amps, processors, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, GPS etc. A good Headunit is the best starting point for any car audio upgrade

xenonkuraz
14-12-2010, 02:59 PM
thanks for the tips guys. I'll most likely go with alpine...now to find a nice surround

GaDgeT-CRX
14-12-2010, 03:22 PM
check out the Alpine x305s (what im currently running) has 24bit Digital to Analogue burr brown conversion for USB / iphone / pod (awesome SQ) and can hook up advanced tuning features (imprint processor), bluetooth, CD changer, Aux in, later on, down the track :)

fitme
15-12-2010, 09:31 AM
if you dont want to change the HU....you can get an amp which has a high signal input..so you can directly connect the speaker out from the stock HU...

FDPete
15-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Guys, I’m looking at changing my HU in my FD2 sport... looking at I-Pod integration and sat nav. Are there any Ebay specials (I know most aren’t a fan) that are actually good value and do the business? I’m on a budget what would be the best value for money (including brand names)

DuffyFD
15-12-2010, 03:25 PM
If you buy a china-make you can load pretty much any nav software on there (Navman, tomtom, iGo etc). Most of them run a mobile version of Windows CE - You will need to load it on with a SD card usually, and it will need to be a cracked version with cracked maps etc.

It's fun if you like learning new things etc, but it's definitely alot harder than buying a reputable brand or stock Honda etc..

DuffyFD
15-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Google soundmaster, they're the best price in Sydney that I've seen.

Shimian
15-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Heres my very recent experience.
Changed my HU only and kept all speakers stock. The sound quality basically doubled. With stock HU, the rear speakers sounded like they were busted. No matter what setting (1 to 6) bass i set, it was just total rubbish. With the new HU, it actually sounds like a SUB at the back. And the settings were only tweaked slighly.
Im eyeing some components but i dont really want to install an amp. Cant decide :(

Stig
16-12-2010, 02:06 AM
if i were to install a sound system again in an fd i would custom the factory foam padding under the boot floor and have my amp there, all hidden away yo

DuffyFD
17-12-2010, 08:00 AM
I have a JVC KWXR816 (http://www.soundmaster.com.au/JVC-KWXR816-USB-CD-Receiver-with-Bluetooth-Dual-USB-iPod-iPhone/KWXR816.asp) and I'm running a tiny (physically tiny) 200W amp and a 12 inch sub off it.

Running low pass thru the sub and high pass thru speakers. So much better sound!! Just need to fix up the rear tray from rattling now

geez85
17-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Just a quick question while we are on this topic. Does any one have instructions for removing the door panels for the front speakers?? I get rattling from my front speakers when i raise the volume very high and want to see if i can fix it somehow.

DuffyFD
17-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I do too. hence why I have a sub to run all the bass through.

There is a how-to on the 8th Gen civic forum, under DIY Interior styling - and another in Audio DIY

Stig
17-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Just a quick question while we are on this topic. Does any one have instructions for removing the door panels for the front speakers?? I get rattling from my front speakers when i raise the volume very high and want to see if i can fix it somehow.

sound deadening is the only fix for the problem

JaCe
22-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree with the guys who say you need an amp. Without amplification, it won't make that much difference.

Interestingly I found in both my cars that once you add an amp and a subwoofer to the equation and remove the bass from the other speakers (i.e. turn it down, even on factory HU), the clarity definitely improves quite noticeably.

DR12NV
24-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I currently have the following set up in my FD2...

Standard 6disc HU
Boston splits front and back
2 Sony 12inch subs
4ch x 160wrms each running front and back, mounted on back of rear seat.
3000w fusion D monoblock running the subs (850wrms x1) mounted on boot floor.

To use the standard HU I just added line level converters to make the speaker wires into RCAs.

I find the sound quality quite decent. I have quite a lot of sound deadening in the boot area but I def need more around the parcel shelf. I dont have any in the doors and havent heard rattles.

simonhaha
19-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have a link to any documentation on how to run power wires from the battery terminal all the way to the boot?

Where the power wire should be run to?
Where the power cable should be run through? under the car pet and where?

Is there an audio write up on doing this?

Thanks guys

fitme
20-04-2012, 10:20 PM
^ you can run the power wires under the left fender passenger side
i will post picture later

simonhaha
21-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Will be counting on those pics, really wanna work on the civic today ^^

if you got any pics of how u wired your power from the battery through to the firewall, that would be killer!

cheers
simon

fitme
23-04-2012, 04:57 PM
this is how you run the power cable from your fender to the inside cabin

you dont need to remove the front plastic cover(radiator cover)...just remove the one on the right..then you can
run the wires through its side
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee264/elybanqs/clubae/sounds/1.jpg
then you need to remove the splash guard
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee264/elybanqs/clubae/sounds/3.jpg
look for the rubber grommet where the side indicator wires coming in..then pinch a hole for the power wires
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee264/elybanqs/clubae/sounds/4.jpg

then run the cable under your carpet until it reaches your rear trunk

pics came from other 8thgen forum..not my pics..

simonhaha
05-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Already stuck aster removing the guard , scared to break my car. Anyone in melbourne lives around balwyn area wanna gibe me a hand with this?

sensei_
05-05-2012, 05:41 PM
if you can get a service manual for your car, it will often give step by step instructions on how to do things.

DuffyFD
05-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Already stuck aster removing the guard , scared to break my car. Anyone in melbourne lives around balwyn area wanna gibe me a hand with this?

Just do it. You're not gonna break your car with your bare hands haha

sensei_
05-05-2012, 07:35 PM
just a clip here or there. easily available on ebay by the bags.