PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Issue Noob Q's

VTIR96
15-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

New comer to the forum as I just got my hands on a VTIR and have a couple of questions/problems I think with the suspension. So any advise is welcome :)

For staters the car is in factory condition.

The issue I am having is when I go over pain in the a$$ speed bumps i.e really high one... I seem to be getting a relatively loud crunch noise from the front when the front wheels go over and also softer but similar noise from the rear. i go over the speed bumps relatively slowely to ensure that I am not scraping the underneath but I wouldnt expect it would be since it is not lowered.

I've heard that there is triangular type of thing in the front and rear in which could be the problem. (to access it you need to remove the wheels) but I thought some one here would be able to confirm a) what the thing is and b) whether it is actually that part.

The other question I have is what would be the best option for suspension with this car.
Can the sports suspension be replaced with after market pedder or midas/ABS or is it worth while to replace with ITR suspension (including lcas - not sure exactly what all i would need)

Thanks

dougie_504
16-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Crunching noise...like a big squeek or creaking noise?

Do you have big rims, like 17"?

Could be your shocks are leaking or your springs are just old and tired maybe.

Where do you live? If you're in VIC(Melb) I'd happily have a listen.

If you want to upgrade to stiffer/performance suspension then a set of coilovers is always a sweet option. Personally I don't like Pedders from just one experience, but they also seem to get consistently bad wraps from this forum from what I've seen.
Good shocks - brands like KYB and Koni. If you don't want anything too stiff you can use King Springs, they're not half as bad as people make them out to be if you just want a replacement that isn't specifically for performance. Otherwise Eibach make good springs too.

Swapping your LCA's will just allow you to run rear ITR suspension but this isn't necessary unless you really want certain ITR options. There are lots of options out there for the VTiR.

Bludger
16-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Can't think of many triangle things behind the wheels.

From what you've told, I'm quite certain your shock absorbers are dead.

If you just want a replacement, just get new shocks. new springs are not needed.

If you want performance upgrade, see post above.

VTIR96
16-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks dougie_504 and Bludger....yeah I reckon you guys are right....I guess its to be expected as the car is a bit old and hasnt had these replaced (its done about 175,000km).

hmmm tough descision on the suspension upgrade....I've had a member here msg me selling koni adjustibles with low kings waiting to find out more about them as dont whether its good to put on 2nd or 3rd hand suspension given I dont want to have to replace them in a year again or so....waiting to here back from him.....ive seen some suspension on ebay but have read some bad stories bout people blowing them very quickly.....I'm still deciding on whether this car will see ocassional track day. (but looking to learn alot from DYI work on it)

dougie_504 I do live in melb near Monash Uni :)

mocchi
16-12-2010, 07:32 AM
lmao triangles behind wheels hahahaha.
check if there is any wetness on your shocks.

welcome btw.

VTIR96
16-12-2010, 07:47 AM
lmao triangles behind wheels hahahaha.
check if there is any wetness on your shocks.

welcome btw.

hahaha i know bad description.....

Yeah will do thanks for the advise..... :)

dougie_504
16-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks dougie_504 and Bludger....yeah I reckon you guys are right....I guess its to be expected as the car is a bit old and hasnt had these replaced (its done about 175,000km).

hmmm tough descision on the suspension upgrade....I've had a member here msg me selling koni adjustibles with low kings waiting to find out more about them as dont whether its good to put on 2nd or 3rd hand suspension given I dont want to have to replace them in a year again or so....waiting to here back from him.....ive seen some suspension on ebay but have read some bad stories bout people blowing them very quickly.....I'm still deciding on whether this car will see ocassional track day. (but looking to learn alot from DYI work on it)

dougie_504 I do live in melb near Monash Uni :)

Good. So what kind of budget do you have and what do you want to achieve with your suspension?

nickk
16-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Check ur drive shafts for excessive play + boots for cracks if your gonna be under there.

Bulbasaur
16-12-2010, 11:09 AM
triangle behind the wheel = wishbone?

Bludger
16-12-2010, 11:14 AM
triangle behind the wheel = wishbone?

are you trying to be imaginative?

lol

Bulbasaur
16-12-2010, 11:28 AM
are you trying to be imaginative?

lol

i dunno lmao i saw it on richard hammond's engineering connections

VTIR96
16-12-2010, 09:29 PM
no budget set as yet....been looking reading alot of other people's post here regarding suspension....was initially thinking going down the type r route given that there its alot more options available with the type r suspension...not looking for anything over the top as its a daily driver so anything to hard would be out the question....probably something second hand given the prices of the new stuff...but if i go down that path probably be better to go for quality right?

VTIR96
16-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Check ur drive shafts for excessive play + boots for cracks if your gonna be under there.
hmmm.....what would be the tell signs if it were this apart from physically looking.....i did have i think the trail arms replaced before I got the roadworthy...should this have come up as an issue during inspection when doing the roadworthy?

dougie_504
16-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Budget would be helpful. KYB would be a good option I think

nickk
17-12-2010, 08:14 AM
hmmm.....what would be the tell signs if it were this apart from physically looking.....i did have i think the trail arms replaced before I got the roadworthy...should this have come up as an issue during inspection when doing the roadworthy?

Check the shafts for play, try shaking them and try rotating. Make sure its in gear and the wheels aren't moving.
A cracked boot is a cracked boot, just rotate and check all the way around.

Mikecivic78
17-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Koni yellows.

VTIR96
17-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Budget would be helpful. KYB would be a good option I think

If i say 500-700 bucks would that get me anything decent?

VTIR96
17-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Check the shafts for play, try shaking them and try rotating. Make sure its in gear and the wheels aren't moving.
A cracked boot is a cracked boot, just rotate and check all the way around.

Yep...looks like the cars going to be jacked up during the holidays to check it out......just out if curiosity would there be a leak if the boot was cracked?

Mikecivic78
17-12-2010, 11:27 AM
If i say 500-700 bucks would that get me anything decent?

here you are 700 shipped from the states for Koni shockies (springs not included) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KONI-YELLOW-SPORT-SHOCKS-STRUTS-SET-EG-DC2-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c58387751QQitemZ19045 8656593QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

VTIR96
17-12-2010, 02:07 PM
here you are 700 shipped from the states for Koni shockies (springs not included) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KONI-YELLOW-SPORT-SHOCKS-STRUTS-SET-EG-DC2-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c58387751QQitemZ19045 8656593QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Sweet thanks MikeCivic78 for the link.

dougie_504
17-12-2010, 03:36 PM
And I have some Integra King Springs (low) with about 5k KMs on them. Pretty much new condition. If you want :P