PDA

View Full Version : Removing heatshield and applying header wrap

viperx
15-01-2005, 11:22 AM
... Worth it? any1 tried it or experienced any problems with this on a CD5 accord?

VTEC16
15-01-2005, 12:38 PM
people say that header wrap:

-increases power
-decreases under-bonnet temperatures
-wears out the header quicker than normal

......so its really a matter of weighing up the pro's and con's. Im still undecided as to whether i should wrap my new header...

Creative
15-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I had mine wrapped, sounded beautifull....now I have them unwarpped after welding a crack and the exhaust has the shite bottle top blowing sound at 3,000rpm....

Im putting the wrap, or new wrap, back on in the next few weeks to see if takes away the sound :)

Limbo
22-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Just be careful if you have thin headers. It stresses them out more and is easier to crack. I've just wraped the bottom part and am builting a heat shield for the top part.
Reason being the initial part of the exhaust gets the hotest. If you wrap them it is easily crackable. I'm doing it lower down to stop my headers from heating up my oil sump as the headers pass close to it. Either way they will stop heat and increase power slightly.

O btw.. i'd prob not coat them in VHT paint like the instructions say as this will increase the chances of cracking.... i found out the hard way... you need them to be able to breathe alittle.

chris2k
23-01-2005, 09:36 PM
heat wrap can cause the headers to crack over time. your basically overcooking the pipes.

JR Performance
26-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Heat wrap has some good advantages with the reduction in engine pay tempreture etc but many people that I have delt with have found that after 8-12 months the headers have become brittle and cracked. Keeping the heat in causes the metal to brake down so it sounds like a good idea but over time could cost you the price of some new headers.