PDA

View Full Version : Where/what exhaust for a DC4 integra

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm thinking about getting an exhaust system done professionally (just to give it a better sound) but since i don't know much about cars, what kind and where would you guys recommend?

Thanks

MWAKU
15-12-2010, 05:50 PM
depends what kind of sound ur after. and where ur from too. and whats ur budget. if ur just after sound u would probably just want to change ur muffler

a straight pipe will be heaps loud and defectable
cannon will be droney and farty and loud
twin chamber will still be kinda the same as a cannon but slighty quieter

u can get aftermarket branded mufflers, like a mugen twinloop or a spoon streets muffler, which are really quiet idle, and open up more open throttle

or u can get an xforce remote controlled varex muffler can adjust the sound 3 ways, open for louded, semi closed which is quieter, and closed, which sounds close to stock.

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm from VIC, just want something with a nice sound, improving performance isn't what i'm after. It's just you can't hear anything right now, way too quiet. Not sure if i should get a twin tip one or a large cannon.
How much would it cost to change the muffler? and can this be done at home or would i have to take it to a shop? An exhaust system seems like it would cost way too much, and my budget would be in the low hundreds, not thousands.

Would i buy the muffler and take it to the shop (if it needs professional installing), or just go to a shop and get a quote? Which is cheaper?

Thanks for your help.

1996_EK_Civic
15-12-2010, 06:26 PM
u can get an xforce remote controlled varex muffler can adjust the sound 3 ways, open for louded, semi closed which is quieter, and closed, which sounds close to stock.
but aren't these illegal and defectable too because they change the db levels?

I'm from VIC, just want something with a nice sound, improving performance isn't what i'm after. It's just you can't hear anything right now, way too quiet. Not sure if i should get a twin tip one or a large cannon.
How much would it cost to change the muffler? and can this be done at home or would i have to take it to a shop? An exhaust system seems like it would cost way too much, and my budget would be in the low hundreds, not thousands.

Would i buy the muffler and take it to the shop (if it needs professional installing), or just go to a shop and get a quote? Which is cheaper?

Thanks for your help.

if your good with a welder you could/can do it at home.
my mechanic charged me 150 for installing my muffler

mugen_ctr
15-12-2010, 06:31 PM
buy a prefab exhaust, something like buddyclub, xforce as such.... even 2nd would work out better... most of the time if u take ur car to a general exhaust shop, they wont know how to deal with small engine exhaust, bigger engines such as V-6 an especially V8's they tend to work on and get better results, all about research an development :)

If ur wanting the full deal, u will want headers, high flow cat and a full cat back system to make it perform well.... if ur mostly after sound, id just go for a axle back, an than a cat-back system if your got more money to spend

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 06:37 PM
but aren't these illegal and defectable too because they change the db levels?

if your good with a welder you could/can do it at home.
my mechanic charged me 150 for installing my muffler

How much was the muffler itself?

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 06:39 PM
buy a prefab exhaust, something like buddyclub, xforce as such.... even 2nd would work out better... most of the time if u take ur car to a general exhaust shop, they wont know how to deal with small engine exhaust, bigger engines such as V-6 an especially V8's they tend to work on and get better results, all about research an development :)

If ur wanting the full deal, u will want headers, high flow cat and a full cat back system to make it perform well.... if ur mostly after sound, id just go for a axle back, an than a cat-back system if your got more money to spend

Around how much in total for the 'full deal'? and how much just for the sound? i see these $50 muffler things in the autobarn advertisements but i have no clue if these are just useless

1996_EK_Civic
15-12-2010, 06:43 PM
How much was the muffler itself?

another 150 lol, but i got a cannon with a 3.5" tip

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 06:45 PM
another 150 lol, but i got a cannon with a 3.5" tip

How was the sound? Much difference or was it kinda the same? And this is just the muffler thing at the end yeah? Not the whole piping to the engine stuff.

1996_EK_Civic
15-12-2010, 06:50 PM
its nice, but very very droney at 2.5k then it levels out and then again lots of drone at 3.5k rpm, at first i just got the axle back and muffler but i got headers recently and theres not as much drone now :) but im thinking of getting the rest of my exhaust done, so a high flow cat and the middle pipes

EK1 Civic
15-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I wouldnt buy mufflers from autobarn supercheap. Headers will set you back $150-400 depending on brand. Installation will cost you $150 for headers. Hi flow cats are anywhere from $100-200. Catbacks vary depending on mild steel or stainless steel and press bent or mandrel bent. Mild and press bent is cheapest option. Mandrel bends are bends that don't change in diameter. Where as press bent the pipes are squished in the bends, making the inside diameter smaller. If your a dyno whore and counts all their hp, go for mandrel bent. If you want some gains and just for sound and don't wanna spend alot then mild press bent is the way to go. Then the mufflers are from $20-200 depending on brand and quality.

mugen_ctr
15-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I wouldnt buy mufflers from autobarn supercheap. Headers will set you back $150-400 depending on brand. Installation will cost you $150 for headers. Hi flow cats are anywhere from $100-200. Catbacks vary depending on mild steel or stainless steel and press bent or mandrel bent. Mild and press bent is cheapest option. Mandrel bends are bends that don't change in diameter. Where as press bent the pipes are squished in the bends, making the inside diameter smaller. If your a dyno whore and counts all their hp, go for mandrel bent. If you want some gains and just for sound and don't wanna spend alot then mild press bent is the way to go. Then the mufflers are from $20-200 depending on brand and quality.

What he said.....

iev got a cat back atm, it drones a bit, worse on free way of course, but it does sound nice.....

Give us ur budget an will work from there, its easy to say i want this an that, but money talks at end of day lol

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Umm... i'll just say i allocate 300 for this. What would you recommend i spend it on? And how to go about it

1996_EK_Civic
15-12-2010, 07:07 PM
for a 100% answer i'd say go to an exhaust shop, they should be able to show you mufflers and such and price it for you or you could look around in the 'for sale' threads on here and on other websites for second hand parts, but yea this just opens up your choices

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 07:14 PM
What is the disadvantage of buying 2nd hand parts?
And would an exhaust shop try to rip me off since i don't really know what i'm looking for?

mugen_ctr
15-12-2010, 07:20 PM
2nd hand parts, not knowing what its been put through, But with saying that, its fine to say that 2nd hand stuff will always perform just as well as new if its looked after....Look for the obvious signs really, look at the welds an check for leaks

Play it smart, an they wont rip you off, before you do, do a bit of research into exhaust system and mufflers

EK1 Civic
15-12-2010, 07:21 PM
As above just look at the exhaust lol. Pick it up and check for cracks, holes etc. Dints in piping. Welds dont have any holes for leaks. If its flanged, make sure its stiff and no gaps in the joint as well as bent flanges etc. You might need to replace a gasket which is $5, nothing major.

EK1 Civic
15-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Umm... i'll just say i allocate 300 for this. What would you recommend i spend it on? And how to go about it

You will need to allocate at least $700 for this mate. My system im currently quoting around for parts. Mainly US ebay is cheaper cause of our aussie dollar. Anyways my headers costed $160, I found a high flow cat from a US seller for $110 which is a magnaflow 2 inch, they make sizes from 2-3inch. The muffler is going to cost me $170 unless i change my mind. My mate knows someone who works at an exhaust shop and said he could fit it all and make be the backpipe which is 2 inch mild press bent for $300. So my total cost is $740.

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 07:34 PM
How much approximately would it be for just changing the muffler, without getting cats and extractors and all that jazz. I thought it would be around 300 ish including installation?

mugen_ctr
15-12-2010, 07:37 PM
just to make it easier for you, go for a bolt on axle back, no need for dirty shotty welding an plus installation u can do at home :)

axle backs are harder to find ill admit, but with a proper axle back, it will look professionally an have a proper exhaust note to it

MWAKU
15-12-2010, 07:37 PM
i dont see why he needs to go any where further than just changing muffler. he just said he doesn't need performance so i dont think he needs anything like headers cats reso pipes bla bla.

any mod is a defect just depends on the cop.

please dont get a cannon, no next door neighbour wants to hear ur farty car roll in at 1am.

i think if u get a decent brand new muffler it will alrdy cost u nearly 300, most prob 200ish. installation will need welding onto your stock pipe. i would recommend u shop around here for a second hand muffler. ppl sell second hand cannons for like 50$ here, ebay, gumtree, firesports. look around

MWAKU
15-12-2010, 07:40 PM
just to make it easier for you, go for a bolt on axle back, no need for dirty shotty welding an plus installation u can do at home :)

axle backs are harder to find ill admit, but with a proper axle back, it will look professionally an have a proper exhaust note to it[

i have no idea what this means, the axle back is everything behind the b-pipe. so the cannon, muffler or whatever it is. :S. ud be very hard pressed to find anyone who has cut their stock muffler, used the flange to weld onto the new axle back (so that it can be bolted onto a stock bpipe, which is around 1.75" for the gsi i think)

also to OP, have a look here
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?41413-New-to-modifying-your-car-see-here

mugen_ctr
15-12-2010, 07:44 PM
i have no idea what this means, the axle back is everything behind the b-pipe. so the cannon, muffler or whatever it is. :S. ud be very hard pressed to find anyone who has cut their stock muffler, used the flange to weld onto the new axle back (so that it can be bolted onto a stock bpipe, which is around 1.75" for the gsi i think)

also to OP, have a look here
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?41413-New-to-modifying-your-car-see-here

prefabbed axle back ;)
i went from that, axle back, to adding a b-pipe making a full cat back

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Is there any certain type of muffler i should be looking for? or will all of them be able to be fitted onto my car. Don't wanna spend like 200 on one, then realise it can't be put on my car

MWAKU
15-12-2010, 07:49 PM
pretty sure u can fit anything with welding and modifications.

act_gooner
15-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I reckon you should just go to Race Nation in the marketplace on ozhonda and get one of the Xforce mufflers. With a custom one you don't really know what you are spending your money on. Xforce are pretty good, your car will have a nice tone, no point in buying a top brand when you only care about sound and aren't going to mod you performance any further. You can get an Xforce twinloop on here for like $230-$250. They also have all different types of mufflers.

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I've really got no idea where to start or what i'm looking for, those 'sports mufflers' sold at supercheapauto and autobarn etc, are those just DIY at home without welding and all that? I'm not too keen on getting a shop to install and all, costs too much. Just want a good looking one that's cheap. =/

1996_EK_Civic
15-12-2010, 07:54 PM
we've flooded him with info lol

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 07:56 PM
we've flooded him with info lol

^this!

i've picked up... "gonna cost you a lot" and "xforce is good"

Lukey
15-12-2010, 07:57 PM
the room where the stock muffler goes is huge

1996_EK_Civic
15-12-2010, 08:00 PM
haha, sorry man. but yea xforce is good, bang for buck. you can spend bucket loads, but performance doesn't increase at the same pace that the cash flows

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I just want something that looks different with louder sound, twin tip? cannon? what do you guys think for a dc4?

EK1 Civic
15-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Is there any certain type of muffler i should be looking for? or will all of them be able to be fitted onto my car. Don't wanna spend like 200 on one, then realise it can't be put on my car

Just go to a fking shop lol. They can do anything and browse their mufflers. Ask to test them and pick one with the best note.

mugen_ctr
15-12-2010, 08:04 PM
with regards to mufflers

Oval shaped mufflers is what many opt for, not too loud, yet still performs well, with good sound

cannon is regarded for top end performance really, an is loud lol.... basic info

Than the unusual design, the twin loop design, some one else fill this in lol

Lukey
15-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Just go to a fking shop lol. They can do anything and browse their mufflers. Ask to test them and pick one with the best note.

lol @ testing them.

how do you do such a thing?

and a muffler will sound different being on each car

EK1 Civic
15-12-2010, 08:08 PM
lol @ testing them.

how do you do such a thing?

and a muffler will sound different being on each car

They put a different one on for you and you rev the car a bit. They use an old shirt etc to hold it on for testing purposes. Then pick the one you like, end of story and less questions for us to answer. Seriously just get your yellow pages out, check out local exhaust shops go and ask and quote or just call.

Anyways im done with this thread, getting more pointless.

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Ahh cheers, didn't know you could test them at the shop. Yeah that'd be heaps better than buying one off the net and having no idea how it'll turn out.

1996_EK_Civic
15-12-2010, 08:13 PM
twin tip, cannon, whatever don't let peoples opinions on each one discourage you. it's your car as long as your happy thats all that matters :thumbsup: sorry with all the info, but goodluck!

charliebrown
15-12-2010, 08:18 PM
twin tip, cannon, whatever don't let peoples opinions on each one discourage you. it's your car as long as your happy thats all that matters :thumbsup: sorry with all the info, but goodluck!

Thanks man, i'll shop around and then come back here to make sure everything the shops told me is true etc before buying.

r2dav
15-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Try Autoxcess in Coburg. Had a full cat with x-force oval muffler for about $500.
The oval muffler worked great on my DC4 (sold it and got an Alfa), not too loud but enough to be happy with

Indie
15-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Umm... i'll just say i allocate 300 for this. What would you recommend i spend it on? And how to go about itI'd pick up a new air intake. It'll give your car a better sound, which will also come from under the hood rather than the exhaust. A crappy exhaust system will sound terrible, whereas you can get a nice sound out of an intake for a couple of hundred bucks, and install it yourself very easily. That's what I did with my DC4, anyway, and left the exhaust alone.

charliebrown
16-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Intake was going to be my first thing, but then decided to go for a muffler instead. What kind of intake would i be looking for and how much would i need to spend approx? Is it a good idea to buy an xforce twinloop muffler (s10? s12? no idea) and a cold air intake(?), then try to install/weld it on DIY style?

Indie
17-12-2010, 10:41 PM
There are a few options for intakes, so you could have a look around, maybe even pick one up second-hand. You'll get something decent for about $200, I think, and installation is too easy. Anyway, I think it's the best option to get your car sounding better on the cheap. You need to invest more in a decent exhaust system, to avoid that cheap, ricer, wet fart sound that gets you laughed at, haha. Just my two cents, though.

GSi_PSi
17-12-2010, 11:39 PM
xforce twinloop is pretty good bang for buck just find a second hand one even betteer

charliebrown
18-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I saw simota intakes going for around $50. Is there a huge difference between the cheaper ones with the $200 ones? I wouldn't have a clue how to install it, so taking it to a shop would cost another 150ish im guessing.

Isn't twinloop meant to be quiet cos the air goes through twice or something? Not sure if it's worth getting and installing, $400 all up if it turns out to still be 'unhearable'.

act_gooner
18-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Twinloop is quieter, depends on your setup. You can go straight pipe to the twinloop which will make it fairly loud. I got a custom catback straight pipe leading to my Xforce twinloop. Its loud when you want it to be and fairly quiet when you want it to be.
As for Intake, you got any mates who could help you out? Got no idea on the prices as I haven't done that yet, got a K&N pod filter though. :)

charliebrown
18-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Twinloop is quieter, depends on your setup. You can go straight pipe to the twinloop which will make it fairly loud. I got a custom catback straight pipe leading to my Xforce twinloop. Its loud when you want it to be and fairly quiet when you want it to be.
As for Intake, you got any mates who could help you out? Got no idea on the prices as I haven't done that yet, got a K&N pod filter though. :)

I don't have cash to go for the whole system, just the muffler for now. So i'm thinking cannon would give me the sound i'm after more than twinloop.

Haven't got any friends who can help me install an intake, is there a significant change in sound from just changing the intake? And would i be looking at "cold air intake"? or is there some other types as well.