PDA

View Full Version : 09 model 'slight engine knock'

lexle3
15-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I've been driving my Civic around and on some days, usually early in the morning when there's hardly any cars on the road I hear a slight ticking noise. It happens when I'm stopped at traffic lights and when I'm driving. Though, this noise is hardly audible in traffic.

When I took the car in for my 1 yr service, I was told that I've got a slight engine knock. Should I be worried about this? Under warranty, they've offered to take the engine out to fix up the shells that cover the bearings underneath the engine since there's probably a slight gap and then put the engine back in. Apparently this service will take 3 days - but since I don't need the car at the moment, I'm not too fussed about this.

All in all, I've got no idea what they're talking about, so for all the car enthusiasts in this forum, do you think I should book it in? I'm just worried that removing the entire engine will cause problems down the track.

Poeter
15-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Get it done if it is under warranty/

Engine knock means your engine is going to die soon than it should.

Stig
16-12-2010, 12:35 PM
what grade petrol are you running? i sense 91 ron here

lexle3
17-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Stig, I usually use 91, but depending on the petrol prices, 94 or 98 on certain weeks. From the manual, if i remember properly, said that 91 was ok, so can using 91 cause engine knock?

thanks

curtis265
17-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I though u were supposed to use 95...

Poeter
25-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I highly doubt a civic needs 95. It's not a high compression engine like that of a type R or accord euro.