PDA

View Full Version : Singer sewing machine or Janome ?

EDCivic
15-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Our poor old ED Civic has yet again developed a new noise, a sewing machine clatter within the timing case cover. Me thinks water pump :confused:

dougie_504
16-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Maybe take off the cover and check that none of the nuts have come loose on the cam gear and are rubbing on the black plastic cover. This sounds like the noise my friend got when he had this problem - could be a long shot, but worth checking IMO.

EDCivic
16-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks for that. I checked tonight but it's bolted rock hard. I was thinking now that it might be the idler/tension pully because it definitely is coming from the timing case. My daughter keeps busting to use the car but I am cautious just in case something goes pop and we start bending valves ?????

EDCivic
17-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Could it be the idler pulley and if so what is it like to remove/replace.

markismaximus
17-12-2010, 09:06 PM
will be a fair bit of work, requires removal of timing side engine mount, removing all ancillary belts, removing crank pulley, removing valve cover to allow removal of timing covers (its in 2 parts) and then replacing the pulley.

if you're going to all the effort you may as well do the water pump and timing belt while you're there

EDCivic
18-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Well daughter took the car out yesterday and we receive a call around midnight to say "Dad the car just started getting slower as if it was loosing power. I pulled over and turned the engine off and now it won't start". Drove out there and took off dizzy cap and turned the motor over, It turns so I am hoping 2 things, 1/ no bent valves, 2/ the timing has come far enough away so that it wont start. Merry Xmas !

Lukey
18-12-2010, 08:38 AM
lets us know results once youve work it out :)

EDCivic
21-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Well had the car towed to my local Honda garage and to their surprise they found as I suspected that the idler pulley bearing had totally collapsed loosing its balls (so to speak). Fortunately the valves appear to be ok so Merry Xmas ED Civic as she will be getting a new water pump, cam seal, crankshaft seal, idler pully and timing belt. Pitty they don't throw in a new auto ala steak knives lol.

EDCivic
25-12-2010, 07:27 PM
$600 and she is back in business. Worth the $$$'s though as you would be going to find a second hand car that is as good as one of these i.e. I am happy to spend $500 a year to keep it going and I know its history.

V73C
26-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Thats good to hear its all fixed mate.