PDA

View Full Version : Civic VTi gearbox issue

stevo1210
16-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm fixing a 1997 Civic VTi for a friend at the moment. Originally my job was to install new headlights and fix some of the dead electrics, but I've noticed something while driving this vehicle and I don't think it's normal...

The gearbox is a Honda multi-matic CVT thing with D,S and L on the gear shifter and the odometer is sitting on 158K KMs as of today. Anyway, when my friend first bought the car a year ago he had the gearbox serviced and I was the one who picked it up from the mechanic seeing as my friend didn't have his license at the time. from what i saw, all they did was top the oil up for $120 or so and that was about it really... the oil came out of a big oil drum... so it might be normal automatic fluid (ATF-Z1 equivalent) which isn't suitable for a CVT?

What I've noticed is that when the engine is still cold and I decide to accelerate hard (or floor it in some cases), it shudders for the first movement but then smoothens out at around 10-20KM/h. When the engine is nice and warm, the shuddering dissapears and the ride is very smooth and fast too LOL.

When in reverse the car makes a screeching noise (even when stationary in reverse)... it sounds like a baby crying (if that's a good enough description). I asked him if this was normal and he said it's been like that since the day he's bought it... and apparently the mechanic said it's normal as well... i have a suspicion that it might not be normal... but hey, i'm a toyota guy so i can't really decide what's wrong or not on a honda.

i've read on the net and they've told me i might need to do a CVT oil change for my friend? or are we looking into a worn clutch somewhere or even worse... a new and expensive CVT gearbox?

stevo1210
17-12-2010, 12:13 PM
anyone...?

TheSaint
17-12-2010, 02:12 PM
shuddering could be due to dead engine/gearbox mounts

as for the whining noise - on a manual i would say input shaft bearing - but on an auto - no idea

stevo1210
21-12-2010, 03:34 PM
well i definitely know that the engine mounts are worn, but dunno about the gearbox ones.