PDA

View Full Version : hopping when clutch is released...what causes it?

Dr4g0n
05-12-2003, 09:47 PM
when the car(eg civic) is cold (sorta...warmed up and all), it sorta hops or does little jerks when i let go of the clutch...even when i ride it and rev more...but after driving around for a while, it'll stop...

is this coz of the sh!thouse clutch? i think it's the original one...

fusion_VTi
05-12-2003, 11:03 PM
hey is your car a CARBY? i used to own one and it was a mofo when it was cold, i dunno maybe it is the clutch mate

Rowie
05-12-2003, 11:08 PM
sounds more like spark leads, or spark plugs, or like what fusion said, your carbies may need tuning (if its carby). Have you tried buying some injector/carby cleaner ???

Does it only do it when the choke it on??? And can you smell un-burnt fuel when its doing it?

-rowie

CAT_SPEW
05-12-2003, 11:32 PM
I don't know how you drive and I'm not criticising you, but I just haad a driving lesson and I did the same thing in a civic. The guy said it was because I was letting the clutch out too early during gear changes.
That might be it? Mine hops a bit when I do it aswell.

A'PEXi
05-12-2003, 11:54 PM
yeh it could be something simple like unsmooth gear changes...

Setanta
05-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Only when it's cold?

I would have said that maybe a new clutch and having the flywheel machined would solve the problem - but if it's only when it's cold then prolly not.

Weq
05-12-2003, 11:59 PM
I have this 'problem' also. I think it has alot to do with the idle that the engine maintains during warming up. Basically what happens to me is i dont rev is hard at all when its not warm, so i tend to chnage early. Basically when this happens, the ECU rev's about 1000rpm more and hence when u let the clutch out, its like u are applying some throttle at the same time. Hopefully u get what i am saying.
ANyways, i find letting the clutch out slower then normal, or shifting with a different part of my foot (usually i use my toe region, move to the center of ur foot, it works!!)

Dr4g0n
06-12-2003, 08:56 AM
ya ya, like what weq wrote....that's it...but yeah, it's just annoying...

fueltank
06-12-2003, 10:59 AM
I have this 'problem' also. I think it has alot to do with the idle that the engine maintains during warming up. Basically what happens to me is i dont rev is hard at all when its not warm, so i tend to chnage early. Basically when this happens, the ECU rev's about 1000rpm more and hence when u let the clutch out, its like u are applying some throttle at the same time. Hopefully u get what i am saying.
ANyways, i find letting the clutch out slower then normal, or shifting with a different part of my foot (usually i use my toe region, move to the center of ur foot, it works!!)

I think that is the problem.

I get the same problem with the aircon on, so I tend to pop the clutch out slower.