PDA

View Full Version : Water in my boot!! AP1 , NOT FIXED, HELP!!!

garett
17-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Hi Guys

just took ownership of an AP1 and giving it a clean last night i have pulled everything out of the boot including the tool kit. to find the very bottom well of the carpet it wet (where the tool kit fits neatly).

i plan on pulling all the carpets etc out on the weekend. but any ideas where this may be coming in.
everywhere else is dry around it, im guessing the possibilities are the boot seal which i doubt as it looks to be perfect and not worn at all so that leaves the roof and maybe a brake light seal.

anyone experienced this?

garett
17-12-2010, 08:45 AM
ive kept searching and found on s2ki.com alot of this.
and the water coming in the vent behind the rear bumper.

by the location of the water im pretty sure thats it.

ncmx5
17-12-2010, 09:49 AM
yup, and you might find rust in there too...depending how long its been sitting there. I found out that this is the cause of my fogging rear tail lights on hot days... the water evaporates and causes moisture condensation leaking into my tail lights.

potato
17-12-2010, 05:22 PM
That's right, the water is most likely coming from the rear vent after driving in heavy rain. Just pull off the rear bar and apply a new seal.

If you have a hardtop (or possibly a leaky soft top) the water will also pool in the boot, check the alignment of the hardtop to rectify this.

There will be a trail of dirt residue where the water is coming from. If the roof is leaking, the trail will go to the top left hand corner.

kimnkk
17-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Or just Lighly spread some talcum powder throughout your boot (with trim out of course) to easily trace where the water is coming from. Can be easily cleaned out with a damp cloth.

Water can come through the rear vent, the fuel cap release actuator or drainage pipes from the roof wells.

garett
17-12-2010, 06:58 PM
looks like there is a little dusty rusty under the carpet.

feck!

garett
19-12-2010, 11:57 AM
its actually not that bad.

pulled the rear bar off and cleaned up the vent. made a new gaskit with some gaskit goo.

job done hopefully!

garett
20-12-2010, 11:03 AM
for those of you in Melbourne that are also experiencing this weird winter in the middle of summer.

i thought i had fixed it but had it parked in my drive way yesterday when pissing down.
opened the boot to find it leaking on the RHS coming in from the top, kinda near the aerial. its dripping onto the flat part of the boot on the RHS
if i stick my hand up to feel in behind there its wet. i think its coming in from the little removable panel between the boot and the soft top.

there is this little strip of colour coded plastic, one either side of the boot with a screw you can undo in the boot gutter. but i cant remove it.
does anyone know what this is or how i can remove it because i think it is leaking in behind this panel. ill post a pic up of it.

garett
20-12-2010, 11:09 AM
this is the bugger im talking about.
i can remove the screw for it (found in the boot gutter) but it doesnt want to budge.

can anyone tell me how to remove this??
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/garett_01/IMG_0301.jpg

garett
21-12-2010, 07:59 PM
it appears its my soft top.

luckily its a new roof and within warranty so off to have it examined thursday.
will keep posted.

VeYzZii
22-12-2010, 12:15 AM
The soft wop wont be the problem.. Warranty wont cover it. Alot of people have the same problem. im guessing its the sealing from somewhere.. Sand it down, spray it down with rust coat, and drill a small hole in both the plastic plugs and it wont cause problems anymore.

garett
23-12-2010, 09:17 AM
id say it is the roof.
if i pour water onto the roof only (making sure none goes on the body) water will weep into the boot.
possibly the rain rail running around the bottom of the soft top, may have a crack or similar.

catacaustic
30-12-2010, 09:23 PM
I've got this problem too, and from what I can see on mine, it's more that the seals around the boot don't fit perfectly and let a bit of water in when it rains. Thanks to being in QLD there's been a LOT of rain here lately, so I can see what happens. For what I've found there's two solutions. One's good, but is realisticly impossible. The other one is cheap, and works about as well as you could ever hope for.

The first that is impossible is to get the entire boot/roof/everything else area checked, aligned properly and ensured to be sealed. It sounds good, but really... It's going to be pretty much impossible to do something like that on a "normal" car, let alone a convertible. For the money that it woudl ocst it's a waste of time.

The best solution is to drill a couple of small holes in the bottom of the wheel recess. It's quick and dirty, but it lets the water out, and lets things dry out. I've seen this done on other cars before, and it's really not a problem. There is the possibility of more corrosion in that area, but if you keep an eye on it, and try to keep some sort of rust-retardent paint on the area it shouldn't be a big problem.