PDA

View Full Version : driving a turbo car on cold start?

MR.H
17-12-2010, 02:31 PM
hey,

just wondering if its okay to drive a turbo car on cold start(not warming it up) or is it better to get a turbo timer and turn the turbo off while the engine warms up then turn the turbo back on? thanks

the reason im asking this stupid question is because i dont like wasting fuel warming the car up. and heard on a tv show for normal engines it is okay to drive it without warming the engine up

DLO01
17-12-2010, 02:58 PM
You cannot turn the turbo off when engine is running full stop. A turbo timer has nothing to do with that.

Drive it like a normal car when warming up. Just make sure you don't put the engine under any stress when warming up, like high rpms.

Some people like to sit the car at idle for a few mins in the garage before driving off. For me though, start and off.

Sexc86
17-12-2010, 02:58 PM
wtf?

haha i never knew you could turn off a turbo?

SuperJDM.
17-12-2010, 03:00 PM
wtf?

but the post above you said you cant turn it off when the engine is running full stop? lol

DLO01
17-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Where theres a will theres a way. You could rig it up piping wise and valve wise to actually turn it off so to speak ie exhaust not drive the turbo, but would there be a point to it? Maybe so, but I think the OP is getting a bit confused with what hes asking.

MR.H
17-12-2010, 03:07 PM
wtf?

my bad

Sexc86
17-12-2010, 03:13 PM
haha, all good. We were all entry level players once... but sometimes its hard not to poke a bit of fun !

mugen_ctr
17-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Do u stretch ur muscles before exercising? Same thing wit car, regardless of turbo or n/a

U cannot turn turbo off, pretty funny how ppl say things like this, as pointed out, from moment engine is started, will b spinin til engine is off

Super-DA9
18-12-2010, 07:44 PM
always let your car warm up at least a bit, especially on the first drive of the day or after it's been sitting for a while.

if you're concerned about the fuel, i can tell you very confidently that cars barely use ANY fuel when idling. you wouldn't notice a difference in fuel consumption at the end of the week if you warmed your car up every day.

be nice to your engine ;) (except when it's fully warmed up, then go for your life lol, if thats what you're into)

4age8u
18-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I read somewhere you coolant takes 2-4min to reach optimum temp but your engine oil can take upto 30min to reach optimum temp..so no vtec or boost till 30min just to be sure

DLO01
18-12-2010, 08:42 PM
^^^ depends if your driving or letting the car sit at idle.

At idle. Water will take about 10 mins to warm up. Oil a bit longer maybe 15-20mins or so to get to normal temps.

Driving. Water will take under 5 min. Oil 10 mins or so to get to normal temps.

MWAKU
18-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Do u stretch ur muscles before exercising? Same thing wit car, regardless of turbo or n/a

U cannot turn turbo off, pretty funny how ppl say things like this, as pointed out, from moment engine is started, will b spinin til engine is off

why do you always mimick in every thread u post on. the thread already gets its answer, and then u just reply saying the same thing. i wonder if thats how u got ur PQ point, cause seriously...