PDA

View Full Version : offset when buying rims online

richard_k
18-12-2010, 07:43 PM
hey guys

just wondering about offset when buying rims online. i'm in queensland and want rims from sydney.
Can the offset of your chosen rims be changed when you get them or are they stuck at the set offset you chose when you buy them?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Cheers

ck.kyo
18-12-2010, 09:02 PM
They stay once you get them, offset cannot be changed most of the times unless your rims are able to be reverse mounted.

squishy
18-12-2010, 10:03 PM
another noob question but what are the offsets on stock accord euros wheels? As i plan on getting a euro soon. thanks

Lemonhead
19-12-2010, 12:14 AM
+55 for the CU2 Euro
I once heard a wheel seller saying that some manufacturers can machine grind (factory) wheels into higher offset, ie from +42 to a +45, but has to be 'factory' done. But i do think its much safer to buy the right offset in the first place.

richard_k
22-12-2010, 07:43 AM
okay so a +30 offset wouldn't hit brakes would it? or depends on kinda rim?

markismaximus
22-12-2010, 08:03 AM
you can use this tool to determine what different offsets will do.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

obviously you need to know what your stock wheel size is but this is usually stamped onto the wheel somewhere

richard_k
23-12-2010, 08:59 AM
yeah thanks and could you buy rims online without getting the offset and balancing done? as in get it done when you get them locally?

markismaximus
23-12-2010, 10:18 AM
if you're only getting the wheels (with no tyre) they won't be balanced because there is no point if they don't have tyres on. and as mentioned above offset CANNOT be changed. so no, you can't get "rims online without getting the offset done"

richard_k
25-12-2010, 11:39 AM
ok thanks :D so if i were to buy the rims by themselves the offset would already be set to the one it has or i choose right?

markismaximus
25-12-2010, 05:00 PM
the offset would already be set to the one it has or i choose right?

depending on the wheel type they usually come in a few different offsets, but no, you don't get to choose specifically

Lemonhead
25-12-2010, 09:57 PM
unless you are buying those >$1000 Italian rims, then you get to choose whatever off set you like, custom made.

vinnY
28-12-2010, 12:17 AM
just expanding on markismaximus's comments.. no way to truely change a wheels offset while remaining reliable as original form

it's probably rarely done(unsafe is one of the main reasons I'm guessing) but as mentioned by Lemonhead you can machine the wheels to have a higher offset I.e. from +42 to +45 as per Lemonhead's example
then there's adding spacers to decrease offset I.e. +52 to +37 in my case on my own car

problem is with modifying, you add extra points of failure
with machining the wheel you weaken then mounting surface by making it thinner
with adding a spacer, depending on what it is and how you go about it, you'd adding extra studs and of course a lump of metal between the wheel and the hub itself

richard_k
28-12-2010, 08:41 AM
thanks for the info guys!
yeah i just want to have the right offset if i'm buying online cause for example a +32 offset won't look the same for all rims and won't fit the same right?

vinnY
28-12-2010, 09:11 AM
^correcto, fitment depending on both rim width and offset

plus the figures into willtheyfit (http://www.willtheyfit.com/) and it should tell you how much further in or out it'll sit than the current wheel

unfortunately loads of people think only offset matters, not the case

richard_k
30-12-2010, 07:29 AM
alright cheers vinnY :D
also with the offset, can you have any offset you want within reason? or is it just about how much you much you want it stick out?

markismaximus
30-12-2010, 08:03 AM
its how much offset you are legally allowed. Not sure about other states but in QLD your wheel/tyre cannot stick out past your fender looking from the top. Like so

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/let5l1de/240sx/dc_91.jpg

If you want crazy offset you'll need your guards rolled or get some stick on fender trims

In saying that its on a euro, how often would you really get stopped

richard_k
31-12-2010, 09:56 AM
ah ok so something like +35 and above offset would be safe i guess