PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak Advice Please

raid
18-12-2010, 08:43 PM
One of my kids has a 92 Prelude that has developed a fairly savage oil leak. Before I start pulling bits and pieces off a car that I am not at all familiar with, is someone able to give me their thoughts on the likely source.

Just below the outermost inlet manifold bolt on the passenger side is a small horizontal protrusion of the engine block, with the letters AAAA stamped on it. It contains a shallow depression/slot, and when the engine is running, this depression quickly filles with oil. This slot appear to be open behind the timing belt cover, and I suspect the oil is coming from somewhere in there.

Any thoughts on the likely source?

Thank you

grifty
18-12-2010, 10:27 PM
open the cover to have a look, it could either be the rocker cover or camshaft/crankshaft seals.

raid
20-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Okay thanks.

Was wondering whether the depression where oil was accumulating may be indicative of a specific source for these engines.

The flat tab is located at the top of the block, so I expect this rules out crank seal.

grifty
20-12-2010, 10:44 PM
could just be the rocker cover blots have some loose, so check if there tight aswell

raid
19-01-2011, 05:49 PM
I cleaned and resealed the rocker cover but it is still leaking oil. I suspect that it is the cam seal (SOHC timing belt side), but it is quite difficult to confirm this with the belt lower cover in place.

Is replacing the cam seal a big job that requires removal of the cam and rocker gear, or can it be pushed in from behind the cam timing gear with the cam in place.

If it can be installed with the cam in place, can the cam gear and seal be removed/installed without removing the lower part of the belt cover.

If the lower cover does need to be removed, what first needs to come off. I assume crank pulley and belts, but do I also need to remove engine mounts and drop/raise the engine.

Thanks

zedries
20-01-2011, 09:31 PM
if this is a SOHC as opposed to the B20A6 engine then you can try and use this how to from 3 geez which is for a SOHC A20 engine.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63057

It's a good write up so it should be of assistance even if you have the F22 engine.

Best of luck

Zaahir

raid
20-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Zed,

It is the SOHC engine.

When attempting to access your link I get a message advising that I do not have sufficient priviliges, even after registering on the 3geez site.

Could you please provide the me with the forum/sub-forum/ and thread name and I will try to access it through the 3geez menu
Thanks

digler
22-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Cam seal will be the most likely culprit. It can be replaced with taking the the cam gear off and pushing it in from there.
If it were me, i would replace the cam belt and crank seal at the same time. Check the water pump if its leaking and replace that too if needed.

zedries
24-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Zed,

It is the SOHC engine.

When attempting to access your link I get a message advising that I do not have sufficient priviliges, even after registering on the 3geez site.

Could you please provide the me with the forum/sub-forum/ and thread name and I will try to access it through the 3geez menu
Thanks

Hmm.. that should work after you register. Anyway, it's in the Information/how to/ engine & transmission subforum.

Hope that works.
Z

raid
05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
The link is now working for me.

Provides a really useful overview, and it appears to be the same engine.

Now I just need the time to attempt it

Thanks