PDA

View Full Version : has my cat shat itself? sounds like rocks in my exhaust

YBJLS4
19-12-2010, 01:09 AM
a couple of months ago, my car always made this high pitch tinny sound at around 2-3k revs whilst driving. then it stopped

a few weeks later it sounded like a rock was circling in my muffler whilst on idle, but no sound whilst driving anymore.

now, ive still got the sound on idle, but now, while i drive around 2 k revs, it sounds like rocks are floating around my cat and down my pipe, not just the muffler

i know i shouldn't be looking for any e-mechanics online diagnostics, but i wanna know by monday so i can source a hi flo cat tomorrow online.

V73C
19-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Maybe the resonator is all torn up inside ? Happened to me once and it sounded like what you described.

mugen_ctr
19-12-2010, 10:33 AM
prbs also the cat has collapsed, notice any power drop?

TheSaint
19-12-2010, 01:16 PM
i get a tinny sound from about 3500 to 5500

but my exhaust is brand new - all stainless

YBJLS4
19-12-2010, 05:49 PM
not sure about power drop i didn't notice. maybe slightly coming to think about it, but i more notice the smell when i gave it a hit. smelt like burnt material

Zilli
20-12-2010, 08:06 AM
a collapsed cat sounds like your exhaust is restricter, like blowing through a straw really hard... more likely a resonator or muffle issue

Super-DA9
20-12-2010, 09:23 AM
sounds like the resonator, i had a similar issue in my old DA.

najdi
22-12-2010, 06:09 PM
go underneath the car...hit it..if it sounds like shit is rattling around either disconnect ur piping and take a look if worst comes to worst change it..simple

YBJLS4
22-12-2010, 07:56 PM
did that, i thought my cat was loose but it wasn't. every shop is closed where can i get all these parts on such short notice. i dont have the tools to do it on my own

najdi
23-12-2010, 05:04 PM
l0l i wasnt being a smartass but OK..not gna attempt to even help u tc

Giraffe
23-12-2010, 05:29 PM
lol i had this problem before, there rock stuck in your heat shield, just unbolt the heat shield and remove the rocks LOL

hisoka
24-12-2010, 08:33 PM
uh no shit i did that, i thought my cat was loose but it wasn't. its so simple hey? every shop is closed where can i get all these parts on such short notice. i dont have the tools to do it on my own

lol wtf he was just trying to help.

iam sure you can wait till after the holiday season.

if not just go buy a bit if straight intercooler pipe from autobarn and ask one of your mates to weld it up.

could be rocks too like what giraffe said, lol but from your gangster attitude it doesnt sound like you would run a pussy heat shield

shits simple

YBJLS4
24-12-2010, 09:47 PM
sorry mate i was pissed of when replying

neway,

yeah i dont run a heatshield, not because im gangster, cause i got aftermarket headers

ok waiting after NY to get it checked out..

oh and, if its the resonator, that mean i have to replace the whole bpipe?

hisoka
25-12-2010, 01:18 AM
nah usually what happens is you pay about 50 bucks and get a new pipe welded in its place, or new resonator.

if its new resonator it will cost more.

but yeah no need for new b pipe, they just section it and replace the bit you want changed.

Lancere6
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Seriously just remove the CAT empty all the broken emission shit (break some out if you have to, use a screw driver) that way it will stop rattling and you will have better breathing for your engine. The CAT is only for the car to meet emission standards and its common for them to break down but all there really doing is restricting you engine, so dont worry about it.