PDA

View Full Version : Screamer pipes

V73C
19-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Ok now i wanna know about screamer pipes, i know its not a healthy alternative on the environment, but im not here to discuss about that.
Anyone here ever ran one before ? Hows the boost hold up on it ? does it hold boost fairly well or does it drop and goes haywire as compared to the External wastegate with a spring loaded in them ?
Thanks

fromdeeeast
19-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Isnt a screamer pipe just the pipe that comes off the wastegate but doesnt get plumbed back into the exhaust.

Someone correct me if im wrong?

V73C
19-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, which is illegal as it doesnt go through the cat. But i know that.

DLO01
19-12-2010, 09:30 PM
or does it drop and goes haywire as compared to the External wastegate with a spring loaded in them ?
Thanks

^^^ so what do you mean by this then?

I've ran a screamer before. It will flow better and enable your wastegate to perform better than a pipe plumbed back to your exhaust, but depends what your trying to do. As for holding boost, thats really up to the whole setup ie what you are trying to do, size of turbo, design of exhaust manifold, quality of parts eg wastegate.

A poorly designed manifold wont hold boost properly and a screamer pipe wont fix it, a poorly placed WG plumb back wont hold boost properly and a screamer pipe will make a difference. So really depends on many factors.

V73C
19-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Ahh ok, Just a thought running in the back of my mind, always thought they'd be a bit dodgy cos as soon as the internal wastegate opens up all the pressure is lost and then all boost pressure is gone due to such a sort length of pipe and no back pressure.

Thanks for clearing it up Dean.

DLO01
20-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Your wastegate, weather its internal or external will vary how much exhaust is bi-passed the turbo based on the intake pressure its trying to maintain, as input in to the wastegate as it is that pressure that opens/closes/opperates the wastegate.

External wastegates should be sized according to what you want our of your car. ie if you are trying to maintain high boost levels then your WG should generally be sized smaller, reason is because you want more of your exhaust to drive your turbo to get up in the boost levels. If your trying to maintain low boost then your wastegate should generally be sized larger, reason is because you want to divert the exhaust away from the turbo to maintain low boost (this is very important when using larger sized turbos, a small WG will give you boost creep)

As said, really depends on combination / total setup, turbo size, manifold design, quality of parts etc. Needs to all work together for your desired outcome.

nickk
20-12-2010, 02:22 PM
^ +1

Screamer is a pipe from the external gate that dumps to the atmo.
It's meant to be plumbed to the exhaust, but for the hectic 747 sound.. you wouldn't.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
20-12-2010, 02:34 PM
For the Sil?

Riced_Civic
20-12-2010, 03:36 PM
i run 1 daily, then again i dont go boosting every set of lights

mugen_ctr
20-12-2010, 04:09 PM
internal gated turbo with a screamer sounds crap, no offence, an its pointless, do the right thing an keep the standard internal gated dump pipe
never seen anyone do this, a screamer on a internal gated turbo, even the silvia/skyline guys i know say dont do it, not worth the hassle an does sound crap

Now with a external gated wastegate, my god they really scream loud!!!! i remember while back, RH9, R34 GTR, with around 850hp, that thing just shatters ur ear drums with its big arse screamer pipes

V73C
20-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't say it sounds shit, its actually pretty cool sounding. A high pitch sound of pressured air, my cup of tea, maybe not yours.

And a screamer pipe plumbed back into the zorst, thats pointless, hence why "screamer pipe"

mugen_ctr
20-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't say it sounds shit, its actually pretty cool sounding. A high pitch sound of pressured air, my cup of tea, maybe not yours.

And a screamer pipe plumbed back into the zorst, thats pointless, hence why "screamer pipe"

many plumb it back for legal reasons... epa fines upto 10k so really ur risk if u wanna run a screamer pipe or not... an it doesnt make it any better when if comes to being inspected by ur local cop station

DLO01
21-12-2010, 07:55 AM
V7C3C. I wouldn't call it pointless to plumb back as Mugen Ctr has said, for legal reasons and polution reasons. If anything flange your pipe to your exhaust so you can run plumb back on the Steet and Screamer for track days.

Flange below:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC01601.jpg

Riced_Civic
21-12-2010, 09:17 AM
depends on how the cop is feeling towards you.

i was pulled over when i was at a petrol station and the cop asked what i was doing, when i was getting lunch (next to petrol station).
he checked the car all over and didnt say anything about a screamer pipe.
this guy was very friendly and he actually shared a story that he used to be into the car seen when he was younger.
let me go, no fine, nothing.

but yeah there are big issues if you do get caught with it with the wrong kinda cop.

DLO01
21-12-2010, 11:57 AM
No offence, but I am sure if the cop knew what he was looking at he'd fine you. Its not about being a nice cop, after all it is a big offence.

Riced_Civic
21-12-2010, 02:50 PM
im sure he did, i was saying that u need to be lucky to get away with things like these.

but my pipe bends the same way like my exhaust, goes down and bends to the back. (like that in the picture)
my external was meant to connect to the exhaust but i decided not to as i was running low on cash when it was being built.
also my engine bay is very tight a cluttered and hard to c anything under the manifold as thats take up the whole top area.

evil1
14-01-2011, 04:02 PM
majority of cops wont even pick that you have a screamer pipe, ps screamer sounds mud on an internally gated turbo...get it done properly with the external gate etc etc...
but +1 for having gate! best noise ever!!

kccord
14-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Wohoo my accord runs the same setup as DL001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldY7G9hRso0

lookingforboost
16-01-2011, 11:42 AM
internal gates are slighty open pretty much all the time and putting a fake screamer on an internal gated turbo will sound like a leaky exhaust or tractor......basically crap and they are no where near as loud as a real external gate setup

Riced_Civic
16-01-2011, 02:36 PM
so thats what a internal gate sound like with screamer pipe.

thught it would be same just quieter. pretty shit if it sounds like leaking exhaust.

i_jazz_u
16-01-2011, 08:11 PM
i like screamers, sounds cool. i remember when my bro got pulled over in his vl. had a screamer dat hid around the exhuast but yet exposed right next to his 20'' rims. i was surprise dat the cop didnt see it when he went over the car. screamers can sound mean and scared off stupid drivers, once there was a vs p plater wanted to race so he skidded to get attention. then my bro screamed it and backed off, the p plater didnt want to race after he heard it.
:) i love this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Orje0u-lDc

mugen_ctr
16-01-2011, 08:48 PM
yea internal sounds gay... unless ur wanting attention, be smart an save ur self by getting a good dump pipe bell mouth or split dumps