PDA

View Full Version : Slotted Rotors Noisy?

quang
19-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi,
Just a quick one, a friend told me that slotted rotors are actually quite noisy (in cabin). During braking they produce a whirring noise at least for the cars he has been in (holdens), is this true?

Thanks

dougie_504
19-12-2010, 11:23 PM
I haven't heard this in the slotted ones I've been in/driven. Whirring IMO tends to be from the tyres, maybe from the strain put on them during the deceleration?

Bludger
20-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Braking is friction, inevitably there will always be some noise.

TheSaint
20-12-2010, 01:15 PM
depends on the pads as well - i had slotted and dimpled pads with EBC green pads on my Dc2 and they had a bit of a sound to them - sounded awsome tho lol

quang
20-12-2010, 05:25 PM
yes i realise friction will always cause noise, but this was to the point that people thought the car had something wrong with it. Especially when you really pushed the braking.

mocchi
20-12-2010, 05:29 PM
no. your mate mustve had something wrong with the brakes or were using noisy pads.
maybe didnt put shims on his pads.

bennjamin
20-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Sounds like the driver hasn't properly bed the pads into the discs - or they are a shit driver and do alot of stop start driving , perhaps sitting for time with the brakes clamped on ( such at lights etc) and have left deposits on the discs

Ps had slotted rotors before no issues or excess noise

DLO01
20-12-2010, 09:41 PM
No noises here with my slotted rotors.

V73C
20-12-2010, 10:14 PM
My mates Brembo's makes a creaking sorta sound when braking, but is said to be normal for the type of pads he has on it, supposely its racing brake pads and it does this.

Bludger
20-12-2010, 10:25 PM
yes i realise friction will always cause noise, but this was to the point that people thought the car had something wrong with it. Especially when you really pushed the braking.
then maybe there is something wrong........

How can we tell that its true, weather your friend has been in a Holden, that creates a whirring noise when the brakes are applied.

If you really need to find out, you should ask your mate which friends Holden he was in and ask that owner if you could take a ride and ask him to apply the brake so you can hear weather there is a whirring noise.......

Limbo
23-12-2010, 08:17 PM
i've got slotted rotors and no difference over the stock ones

gambate
24-12-2010, 02:36 AM
i'm using slotted rotor on the front and only has the whirring noise under very heavy braking at the track.
not sure if it is from the tyre, used re01 re001 ad07 Z1 with the same rotor, all the same, whirring only under very heavy braking..
the noise make it sound like i'm rolling on semis tyre lol

aaronng
24-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Did you use the brake rotor set screw? If you didn't, the rotor might be slightly off centre especially if the centre bore doesn't perfectly match the hub size.

quang
26-12-2010, 10:21 PM
thats pretty much what i thought gambate, must be something wrong with the other cars. i know lots of people have them on here and never seen and compliants. i'll just get a set anyway
i don't have slotted rotors yet, this is what my friends have experienced, maybe i see if they did, might fix there cars up :)
thanks for all your help guys!

phwoaaa
30-12-2010, 10:28 PM
anti-squeel! :P

or maybe your pads are those hardcore ones that need to be heated up before they shutup...

or maybe disc was not machined when replacing new pads.

xenonkuraz
31-12-2010, 02:09 PM
My ex-accord had slotted rotors no noise at all