PDA

View Full Version : Various CIVIC EG problems

spambam88
20-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know about some of the problems i've been having, and ways to fix it. its pretty vague but if you guys have any of these problems now, ill be more than happy to PM you details.

1) Car would not turn over.
First time it would not turn over, was due to the distributer being dead !!!, the easiest way to test it was getting a screw driver and putting it 5mm away from the cap, NOT HOLDING ON TO IT !!, and cranking the engine, if you saw a spark its probably not the dizzy.
Soultion: Grab a new dizzy from mechanics for roughly $500, or one from wreckers.

The second time was due to the Fuel pump dying, the easiest way to test that was to turn the key to the position just before u turn it again to crank the engine. In which case u should u here a soft whirring noise ( if its and EFI system), if you cant, and ur getting a spark, its most likely the fuel pump, or the wires to the pump.
Solution : Brand new Fuel pump roughly $50-90 depending on where u get it from.

The third and last thing i wanted to mention was the transmission. The car would start up fine, and drive fine ( if the weather was cold) for various distances before the engine would rev, but the car would not go, basically it felt like the gears disengaged or were not engaging. According to the mechanic at HondWorld it is a common problem, due to the Transmission filter being blocked by debris, since the Torque converter, which is pretty much a clutch for auto cars, works around a hydraulic system, you can see why it would cause it to stop.
Solution : paying Hondworld $990 to recondition and reconstruct the transmission.

I wrote this thread to shine some light on CIVIC EG owners who may have come across these problems.

Hope it helped

BTW, When your car breaks down, IMO its best to replace it with brand new parts, or atleast a second hand part thats been reconditioned, just becuase u know its new, rather then not knowing how long that particular item will last you.

mocchi
20-12-2010, 08:01 AM
dizzy for $500? hell no. ebay US is alot cheaper. brand new.
paying hondworld $990 is out of question too. i wouldnt pay that much to a place i dont trust.
they give out wrong parts to customers(steering rack) and think eg/ek doors are the same.

having said that, ive bought some stuff from them, and was alright (door trims). ive had no problem, but i think its because
its just some door trims that i know it will fit, and i went with the guy and watched him took it off of their wreck.

markismaximus
20-12-2010, 08:58 AM
The second time was due to the Fuel pump dying, the easiest way to test that was to turn the key to the position just before u turn it again to crank the engine. In which case u should u here a soft whirring noise ( if its and EFI system), if you cant, and ur getting a spark, its most likely the fuel pump, or the wires to the pump.
Solution : Brand new Fuel pump roughly $50-90 depending on where u get it from.

The easiest way to check the fuel pump is actually to connect it directly to a 12V source. Testing it the way you have mentioned doesn't really narrow it down to the fuel pump