PDA

View Full Version : TEIN Type flex coilovers......any info for me b4 i purchasE?

blastnpast
22-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi,

Never had a good experience with coilovers clearly because i never had the decent amount of money to spend however recently looking into buying a set of TEIN TYPE FLEX COILOVERs for street use and better cornering whilst being 100mm off the ground so nothing to low ( defectable syd street).

If anyone could please give me some feedback as to how their experience went?

Should i purchase these at a reasonable price or look around for the n+ BUDDYCLUBS?

I just really want to aim for a good stance and a non bumpy ride.. slightly bumpy at times is reasonable but nothing over the top :D

please help out if you know some good s***

blastnpast
22-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I've read on the forums but really there isn't a dead answer which says they are sweet and make your ride nice height and smooth lol that's what I'm after don't wanna go pay $2000 and be disappointed :(

THEEYA
22-12-2010, 09:28 PM
you want smooth, get springs

blastnpast
23-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Lol springs arnt smooth ;/ they r bouncy as Fk

aaronng
23-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Lol springs arnt smooth ;/ they r bouncy as Fk

That's because you're using them with stock shocks. You need shocks that match the new ride hide, otherwise you get no damping.

blastnpast
23-12-2010, 06:41 AM
I see, well would the tein type flex street coilovers do the job? For daily use I have some info I located... They seem like they are what i need just worried about paying $2000 and getting a bouncy ride haha

TYPE FLEX- TEIN TYPE FLEX is a coilover kit developed with performance and comfort in mind. With years of experience in motorsports, TEIN produced TEIN TYPE FLEX to provide the ultimate balance between comfort and performance. Compared to OEM suspension and other entry level coilovers, TEIN TYPE FLEX provides a greater increase in cornering performance, while still being comfortable enough to use on the street. This was accomplished by a higher spring rate and a twin tube internal design damper which allows increased piston stroke and increased durability. TEIN TYPE FLEX features 16 levels of adjustment, pillowball upper mounts, three stage powder coating, full length ride height adjustment, and newly designed spring seat. TEIN TYPE FLEX is the ideal coilover system for users who participate in less intense motorsport events, such as track days and time attacks, while still being able to drive the same setup on the street without too much sacrifice in comfort. TEIN TYPE FLEX is also called Control Master and is intended for both street and competition use.

aaronng
23-12-2010, 07:08 AM
I see, well would the tein type flex street coilovers do the job? For daily use I have some info I located... They seem like they are what i need just worried about paying $2000 and getting a bouncy ride haha

TYPE FLEX- TEIN TYPE FLEX is a coilover kit developed with performance and comfort in mind. With years of experience in motorsports, TEIN produced TEIN TYPE FLEX to provide the ultimate balance between comfort and performance. Compared to OEM suspension and other entry level coilovers, TEIN TYPE FLEX provides a greater increase in cornering performance, while still being comfortable enough to use on the street. This was accomplished by a higher spring rate and a twin tube internal design damper which allows increased piston stroke and increased durability. TEIN TYPE FLEX features 16 levels of adjustment, pillowball upper mounts, three stage powder coating, full length ride height adjustment, and newly designed spring seat. TEIN TYPE FLEX is the ideal coilover system for users who participate in less intense motorsport events, such as track days and time attacks, while still being able to drive the same setup on the street without too much sacrifice in comfort. TEIN TYPE FLEX is also called Control Master and is intended for both street and competition use.
I have the Flex on my car (Euro), and it is a little stiff for Sydney roads due to the poor conditions. When I was living in Melbourne, the Flex were great. But in the end it depends on your tolerance level too. It would be great if you could get a ride in someone's EK with Flex.

blastnpast
23-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah I'm in Sydney to I have used some crap coilover before in my other ek and they were cheat and bouncy but I can tolerate most things lol just aslong as my head isn't going crazy bouncy up and down and my steering isn't to light it should b fine thanks for the feedback mate appreciate it :)

Bludger
24-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi,

Never had a good experience with coilovers clearly because i never had the decent amount of money to spend however recently looking into buying a set of TEIN TYPE FLEX COILOVERs for street use and better cornering whilst being 100mm off the ground so nothing to low ( defectable syd street).

If anyone could please give me some feedback as to how their experience went?

Should i purchase these at a reasonable price or look around for the n+ BUDDYCLUBS?

I just really want to aim for a good stance and a non bumpy ride.. slightly bumpy at times is reasonable but nothing over the top :D

please help out if you know some good s***

I see, well would the tein type flex street coilovers do the job? For daily use I have some info I located... They seem like they are what i need just worried about paying $2000 and getting a bouncy ride haha.

Yeah I'm in Sydney to I have used some crap coilover before in my other ek and they were cheat and bouncy but I can tolerate most things lol just aslong as my head isn't going crazy bouncy up and down and my steering isn't to light it should b fine thanks for the feedback mate appreciate it :)
You know, from everything you have described, buying Tein Flex is going to be a process of throwing money down the drain.

You want :-
- bang for buck
- street use
- better cornering
- legal height
- good stance
- not bompy
- not over the top
- don't wanna pay 2 grand

Sounds like you need a QUALITY spring & shock combo.

Been done many times before by others on this forum. Its well documented. EG's, EK's, DC's
Have a good read, you'll find information on the type of spring and shock combo that you want.

Buying coilovers is a money wasting exercise from what you say you want out of your suspension.
Tein Flex = More than what you need.

DC2-PWR
24-12-2010, 11:05 PM
You know, from everything you have described, buying Tein Flex is going to be a process of throwing money down the drain.

- bang for buck
- street use
- better cornering
- legal height
- good stance
- not bompy
- not over the top

Been done many times before by others on this forum. Its well documented. EG's, EK's, DC's
Have a good read, you'll find information on the type of spring and shock combo that you want.

Buying coilovers is a money wasting exercise from what you say you want out of your suspension.

Well said. +1 rep,

I'll add - look into what suspension most sydney peeps buy, I've heard BC N+ is alright for sydney roads.

Good luck,

blastnpast
25-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Bc n+ is the same specs as flex streets lol except flex can give you 16 damper adjustments :) and money doesn't matter to me when your building a car up so flex should be decent and if they don't satisfy me
I'll resell and buy a different set cheers for the replies

blastnpast
25-12-2010, 12:57 PM

- bang for buck
- street use
- better cornering
- legal height
- good stance
- not bompy
- not over the top

So if I spend the money and got the TEINS would I be having a better ride then I would if I only spent money on the shock and spring combo? Id prob rather spending the money if it was a better opportunity cheers

MikeyG
25-12-2010, 01:33 PM
dude... dont waste your money

yes i understand sussy is what most people spend there money on but it can be done via this combo and cheaper

get Aftermarket shock with GroundControl Selves and GC Top Hats.

blastnpast
25-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Alright cheers for the advice when I'm ready il look into a good combo cheers

GReddy_es
25-12-2010, 04:56 PM
End of the day,going with coilovers will give you ride height adjustments/damper adjustments etc but will more than likely give you a pretty harsh/bouncy ride depending on what spec coilovers you get.So really depends on what you want,comfort or performance handling :)

blastnpast
25-12-2010, 05:34 PM
End of the day,going with coilovers will give you ride height adjustments/damper adjustments etc but will more than likely give you a pretty harsh/bouncy ride depending on what spec coilovers you get.So really depends on what you want,comfort or performance handling :)

Yeah im looking into the coilovers of I went with some it would b the tein street flex which is built with the adjustable height and damper I've heard ppl say they r smooth as and even better then OEM :) anyways thanks for the input I'll let you all know how I go!

squareznboxez
25-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Forgive me if this isn't 100% applicable to Hondas, but i recently picked up a 2nd hand set of Bilstein shocks mated with Whiteline springs for my Nissan Skyline which lowered my car between 1-2 inches

since then i have driven probably a few 100 kms on them, and i can report that the ride comfort is identical if not slightly more comfortable over my OEM shocks and springs

if you observe between coilovers and a traditional shock/spring set up that the springs in a traditional set up are significantly larger and less compressed than those in a coilover set up which would lead one to believe there is alot more give in them

again this info is purely subjective as i am no expert but this is simply my experience as i was confronted with this choice before and went with a traditional setup as i wanted a better stance without compromise to ride comfort

a great place in sydney to drop in for a chat about suspension as they stock brands like Bilstein, Eibach, Whiteline, KYB, Koni, Lovells etc, this shop is very highly recommended, among us Nissan people on the other side of the import river

http://www.heasmans.com.au/new_site3/main.html

cheers
danny

blastnpast
25-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey nah your right about your set up being smooth and stuff but you have to drive more then 100kms on the then you will notice they might become lumpy and get lower because of the springs getting used to being used lol

Anyways I'm just gonna go coil overs and who knows if I like them I'll use them
Or I'll just sell then buy a spring+shock set up :)

But cheers for all of the advice and it is a great help for all of these opinions :)

Bludger
27-12-2010, 04:35 PM
So if I spend the money and got the TEINS would I be having a better ride then I would if I only spent money on the shock and spring combo? Id prob rather spending the money if it was a better opportunity cheersFrom personal experience in using coilover's, most are harsh, bumpy and crash.
Only the high end mega dollar units are decent in ride.
So if I were to buy another set, its going to be gih end or just stick to shock/Spring if i haven't got the cash yet.

aaronng
27-12-2010, 07:41 PM
So if I spend the money and got the TEINS would I be having a better ride then I would if I only spent money on the shock and spring combo? Id prob rather spending the money if it was a better opportunity cheers

Good spring and shocks will be more comfortable than coil overs. However, good spring and shocks can cost the same if not more than cheap coilovers.

boy180
27-12-2010, 08:47 PM
do it once do it right never go back twice ^^, jump into some cars to test them out bud, then make ur judgement..

blastnpast
27-12-2010, 09:28 PM
All of these good feedback and helpful advice :D cheers to you all! I got driven around in a car with TEINS and BC along with a high quality shock and spring combo and gotta say coils look like the way to go and felt smooth enough if damper were set the medium or tighter :)

dc292177917
28-12-2010, 08:58 AM
well i m a fob in sussy...
isn't the ride comfort directly related to the spring rate?
i m not sure if any other factor that matters but tein SS is pretty good on a eg for wt u need imo.

Alvis
29-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey mate,

Just caught onto this thread - and I agree with aaronng and dc2... (dude, that's a lot of numbers lol) - I'm in the same boat looking for a good suspension setup that's firm but not harsh and improves handling, braking etc.

This thread below might help you out - I personally think you're after SuperStreets, not Flex - Flex is more if you're going to track your car regularly (not to say SS won't do a good job at the track either), but from all I've read about peoples experiences (and that's a fair bit) I'm considering going with SS: cheaper than Flex as well if you're worried about spending the $2k (I would have thought Flex would be more - I've even been quoted $2.5k in Sydney for Australian spec SS fit and installation!). You can buy from US, but not Aus spec and warranty could be an issue, so something to think about anyway.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?91443-Tein-SS-vs-Tein-Flex

And yep, a good quality shock/spring combo can be more expensive than coilovers, but depends what you want. For me, I need to limit how low my car goes because of my driveway and don't want to scratch the shit out of my front underspoiler on friggin speedhumps everywhere these days.

Let us know what you decide anyway and good luck!

OH, and the other think I was recommended to do was to get my existing suspension system checked (ie like $14 at Pedders for 28 point check) before fitting new suspension, ie bushes, control arms etc etc to make sure these aren't worn out or else you won't get maximum benefits no matter how much you spend on your coilovers - makes sense really.

blastnpast
29-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey Alvis,

Cheers for your recommendation, I got offered a crazy price on a set of tein type flex and I grabbed them it was a little high for my range but what price do you pay for "quality" anyways I've been going crazy on forums and people said the type flex is the best street coilover before the mono flex...

However I didn't hear good feedback on the tein ss springs for street use as they are cheaper and don't come with a top hat or something along those lines

So in the end I chose tein type flex coilovers and have been waiting to get a few days off work so I can install all of my parts!

Did you end up getting any coils yet?

GReddy_es
29-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Cheers for your recommendation, I got offered a crazy price on a set of tein type flex and I grabbed them it was a little high for my range but what price do you pay for "quality" anyways I've been going crazy on forums and people said the type flex is the best street coilover before the mono flex...

However I didn't hear good feedback on the tein ss springs for street use as they are cheaper and don't come with a top hat or something along those lines

So in the end I chose tein type flex coilovers and have been waiting to get a few days off work so I can install all of my parts!

Good choice on the Tein Flex,might be alittle bumpy for normal street use but u know you're getting a quality product and show greatly improve cornering ;)
Tein SS do have top hats (most of them we get through our shop from Japan have anyway) but are abit soft even for normal street use from customer feedbacks.But let us know how u go with the Flex!i'm assuming u got them new?

blastnpast
29-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah got them new and I think they don't have as good damper balance and yes I have heard they are quite soft hense the reason why I went with the type flex which are stiffer but still soft enough to loosen and ride with close enough suspension to OEM springs only with better cornering :) I will let you know via this thread on how mean and aggressive they are :)

Alvis
29-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Congrats mate, sounds like you're one happy chappy with ur new coils :)!

But yeh I haven't got mine yet, getting a 28 point suspension/brake checkover on Friday morning to make sure all other OEM suspension components are sound, so go from there :) But leaning towards the SS atm, I'm really topping out my budget at $2k - if i finally make the decision to part with the coin! But if you know of any "special" Tein offers going around... you know who to call ;)

We'll await pics and feedback on your ride!

blastnpast
30-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Congrats mate, sounds like you're one happy chappy with ur new coils :)!

But yeh I haven't got mine yet, getting a 28 point suspension/brake checkover on Friday morning to make sure all other OEM suspension components are sound, so go from there :) But leaning towards the SS atm, I'm really topping out my budget at $2k - if i finally make the decision to part with the coin! But if you know of any "special" Tein offers going around... you know who to call ;)

We'll await pics and feedback on your ride!

I have a mate who has a few hook
Ups I'll have a chat to him mate send me your car model and what sussy you would want prices on and we will go from there :) and I'm happy looking at them just cant wait to fkn install the damn things haha

Alvis
30-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Sounds good mate pm sent with all the details, so if you get a chance to chat to him next time you see him, that would be great! :D

blastnpast
30-12-2010, 09:07 AM
No problem alvis I'll be in contact with the company and let you know PM replied ./

Alvis
31-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Just a question to all you guys who have fitted Teins in the past - approximately how much lower than stock does it make the car on the highest setting?

Any feedback is great, thanks :)

blastnpast
31-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Depends what setting alvis if your looking for the lowest point u can lower them it will prob b 3" or maybe a bit more I'll let u know when I get mine fitted which might be this Monday

slow_poke
31-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey blast empty your inbox so i can pm u

blastnpast
01-01-2011, 04:39 AM
All cleared mate :)

Alvis
01-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Depends what setting alvis if your looking for the lowest point u can lower them it will prob b 3" or maybe a bit more I'll let u know when I get mine fitted which might be this Monday

Yep, just checked Tein website for Superstreets - so Flex should be similar I'd think:

FRONT (Min ~ Max):
-31mm/-1.2inches ~ -83mm/-3.3inches

REAR (Min ~ Max):
4mm/0.2inches ~ -71mm/-2.8inches

(http://www.tein.com/products/super_street_price_list.html)

blastnpast
01-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Alvis were those specs for the super streets? Can u post of the street type flex specs min + max?

Alvis
01-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Ok, let me know if what I'm saying is right based on the below: Flex can be raised higher at the front but doesn't go as low as the Superstreets at the front, rears much the same:

Tein Flex:
FRONT (Min ~ Max):
+19mm/+0.75inches ~ -70mm/-2.76inches

REAR (Min ~ Max):
-2mm/-0.08inches ~ -69mm/-2.72inches

http://www.tein.com/tech_info/h98.html

Tein Superstreets
FRONT (Min ~ Max):
-31mm/-1.2inches ~ -83mm/-3.3inches

REAR (Min ~ Max):
4mm/0.2inches ~ -71mm/-2.8inches

Alvis
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
And does anyone know how to read/interpret the below damper spring rate specs - what does it mean in every day language?

Tein Flex:
FRONT:
SPRING RATE
kgf/mm

lbs/in

REAR:
SPRING RATE
kgf/mm

lbs/in

Tein Superstreets:
FRONT:
SPRING RATE
kgf/mm

lbs/in

REAR:
SPRING RATE
kgf/mm

lbs/in

http://www.tein.com/tech_info/h98.html

aaronng
01-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Means they are stiffer than stock. I believe stock spring rates are around the 2-3 kgf/mm at the front for newish non-type R Hondas (DC5, FD2, CL9)

Alvis
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Means they are stiffer than stock. I believe stock spring rates are around the 2-3 kgf/mm at the front for newish non-type R Hondas (DC5, FD2, CL9)

Thanks aarong - so bascially the higher the kgf/mm the stiffer the spring :) hence Flex slightly more firm than superstreets.

And one more question - with the Tein website saying height on Flex at the front can go from +19mm to -70mm is this comparison being made to stock?

blastnpast
04-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Tein type flex coilovers finally installed thanks to I'm.kasuma on the install!

These things are amazing perfect ride height with a great damper setting just like OEM springs only lower and better

aaronng
04-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks aarong - so bascially the higher the kgf/mm the stiffer the spring :) hence Flex slightly more firm than superstreets.

And one more question - with the Tein website saying height on Flex at the front can go from +19mm to -70mm is this comparison being made to stock?

Yes, compared to stock. Note that while the website says the SS can go lower than the Flex, at that minimum setting, the SS starts to compromise on damping due to the shock travel being close to out of range. Flex on the other hand uses a separate adjustable lower mount so that damping is not affected. However it means the minimum height is not as low.