PDA

View Full Version : Ek1 Gli 1999 fuel economy?

blastnpast
25-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey,

This is my first tank filled up on 98 and I have gotten to 475 I think there is still something left in the tank but the needle looks preety empty.

My car is completely stock and have been using it on highway driving for more then half the tank :/

When looking at the needle there is a little orange section below the empty part, is that where the light normally turns on? Is there even a light gonna turn on or nah? Lol just recently came back into a Honda just trying to sus out if I'm getting crap economy?

Thanks all inputs will be a great help!

twing
26-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Yes, there will be light on when petrol is low.
475 sounds about ok.
to increase the mileage, try:
* pumping the tire pressure to 40 psi. Trust me, 40psi is fine. If it makes handling harsh, reduce it to your liking.
* use lower viscosity oil, 10w - 30 per honda recommendation.
* change spark plug
* do ecu reset.
good luck.

da12nv
26-12-2010, 07:04 AM
also change your fuel filter. i usually get using 98 ron fuel 550 - 600kms per tank to give you an idea

blastnpast
26-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for this I will try find a place to reset my ecu when the long weekend is finished lol :) and I will order a new fuel filter and give her the first service :) cheers fellas I filled up at 505kms and filled up 33 Ltrs so i had 7 ltrs left in my tank I think that's alright economy but no light came on I don't think this model civic came with a light lol not sure

tuanEH?
26-12-2010, 02:15 PM
you can reset the ecu yourself dude.

Here's some instructions i copied from somewhere lol

step 1: take your car for a brisk drive to get the motor to operating temperature.

step 2: take your car home, and take the fuse for the ecu out. it'll more times than not be labeled, but on civics and integras it's under the hood for sure. wait 15 minutes.

step 3: put the fuse back in.

step 4: turn the car on. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. GIVE IT NO GAS. let the car idle for roughly 15 minutes, or until the car is idling smooth at lower rpm's.

step 5: turn the ignition off. ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE KEY. immediately turn the ignition back on after you have gone to full off. this will store the new settings your ecu has made.

These steps will properly reset your ecu. After they are accomplished go do whatever, the new settings have been stored.

Hope this helps :)

blastnpast
26-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Man I love it when there people here who r helpful as! Thanks bro I'll give it a try +1 rep for you for showing me this piece of art

Limbo
27-12-2010, 12:29 AM
btw.. the fuel tank is 45 ltrs not 40ltrs.

ur doing 6.53 ltrs per 100km, thats awesome fuel economy for a GLI.

i'm lucky to do 7-8ltr per 100km

P.S the fuel seems to have to get really low for the light to come on. I haven't seen it very often on my car either

blastnpast
27-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Really every where I read on the tank size says 40 Ltrs and maybe the fuel economy isn't bad at all u could properly average 550 with the light popping on thanks for your help

chauster
29-12-2010, 08:37 PM
in my old Gli i was running about 550km per tank.

tank is 45 btw. was getting about 480-500 when light came on.

blastnpast
30-12-2010, 05:56 AM
This is making me
Worried I seriously dont think I have a warning light on my cluster :/ I've looked and can't see one at all and when I hit 500 kms the needle is close to empty it's messing me up because there is no light :/

jks24
30-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I had a manual cxi so same motor and I used to get 500kms+ out of every tank with 95RON. I never ran 98RON though, waste of time and money for a D series IMO

Alvis
31-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Hey,This is my first tank filled up on 98 and I have gotten to 475 I think there is still something left in the tank but the needle looks preety empty.

My car is completely stock and have been using it on highway driving for more then half the tank :/

475km isn't too bad at all for a mixed cycle of city/highway driving. I drive mainly around city streets and I'd probably be lucky to get 350 on Shell 98 - which is probably about right - I think the Civic on a city cycle is 7-8L/100km - though I don't think I'm the most economical driver in saying that either :)

When looking at the needle there is a little orange section below the empty part, is that where the light normally turns on? Is there even a light gonna turn on or nah? Lol just recently came back into a Honda just trying to sus out if I'm getting crap economy?

There's no light under the orange bit, I just had a look at my 98 and this is where the fuel light is located.

I know you're just testing fuel economy but don't run your tank too much below a quarter if you can as a general rule of thumb, don't want to pick up all the shit at the bottom of the tank and clog up the new fuel filter :)

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5083/dsc00962pn.jpg
By null (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/null) at 2010-12-30

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9780/dsc00960v.jpg

to increase the mileage, try:
* pumping the tire pressure to 40 psi. Trust me, 40psi is fine. If it makes handling harsh, reduce it to your liking

I pump my fronts to 40psi and the ride is good on EM1 15' rims :) The only thing I found maybe wears slightly more in the middle, but nothing much to worry about.

you can reset the ecu yourself dude.

step 2: take your car home, and take the fuse for the ecu out. it'll more times than not be labeled, but on civics and integras it's under the hood for sure. wait 15 minutes.

step 3: put the fuse back in.

I rang Honda about this a couple of months ago when I fitted my air intake and disconnecting the battery does the same thing ;)

btw.. the fuel tank is 45 ltrs not 40ltrs.

yep (South African model is 52 litres):

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3659/dsc00965u.jpg

I never ran 98RON though, waste of time and money for a D series IMO
98 is only worth it if you fill up all the time on the good stuff, once every now and again makes it useless. I also use octane booster every 4 fills and car feels good for a D series, though stuggles a little more in the heat the last few days...

Welcome back to Honda bro!

blastnpast
31-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Haha Thanks for the photos you know I really don't think I have that light up the top :/ I'll have to look harder never seen that one b4 and thanks for such a detailed post bro! I'll get back to u asap about the suspension alvis I'll hit u up when my mods start getting applied :) recently I bought extractors, spoon electric mirrors, type r carpet, whale penis and a twin loop exhaust + the tein type flex nothing has been fitted yet :D haha soon they will

blastnpast
01-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Alright I do actually have that light! When the hell does it turn on :/ I filled up this morning 38 Ltrs exact and the light was not on! However the needle was hanging on the white line just before the red section

I had 560kms to the tank and honestly with only 7 Ltrs left that 560 could have been 600+ kms if i was the use all 45 ltrs haha I love my civic heaps right now

Does the light come on with like 5 Ltrs left or is my cluster playing up and isn't connected?

:D

Alvis
01-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I had a check in the Honda manual and it doesn't say when the light actually comes on... only one way to find out next time lol ;) - but honestly tho, I wouldn't worry about it too much...

recently I bought extractors, spoon electric mirrors, type r carpet, whale penis and a twin loop exhaust + the tein type flex nothing has been fitted yet :D haha soon they will

Sounds like you need to make yourself a build thread to keep us up to date on your parts, photos and progress!

Can't believe none of those parts are installed! Man, you must be having anxiety attacks by now lol

blastnpast
01-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm kicking myself and to top it off I have some recaros sr3s in black I'm picking up but need rails to
Suit ek so I really need a build thread haha

Alvis
01-01-2011, 12:56 PM
come on man, don't hold out on us!

blastnpast
01-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Lol I don't think people
Would be that interested in my build thread anyways bro but I'll give it a shot when I start installing parts :)