PDA

View Full Version : front fender splash guards, any dangers running without?

vinnY
27-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I assume not but I might be wrong, figured I'd ask before hand

as far as I know very few things run in that cavity unless you've put it there yourself

new wheels + spacers = scrub on the splash guard
I mean I can just let it rub til it breaks through but it sounds annoying when it does rub :p

M@lew
28-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Depending on the car, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that for some cars it is not just an empty area under the guard but they have some sharp metal areas under the splash guard, which once worn away may slash / puncture your tyres if you continue to scrub in that area.

chauster
28-12-2010, 03:10 AM
it gets dirty. dirty is bad.

its called splash guard to prevent splashes of water coming through. Could be bad for the engine if drivign in big rain.

Riced_Civic
28-12-2010, 07:03 AM
My Ek didnt come with any when i got it LOLS. no problems yet

vinnY
28-12-2010, 09:08 AM
yeah I've read it's supposed to just stop rocks hitting the fenders giving little bumps but loads of people run without it without a problem
car in question's an ek, but as far as I know loads of people with eg/dc/ek's run without it okay

regarding the sharp metal areas.. guys on h-t just go cut slots and smash it back to the chassis to stop it cutting your tyres :p

na-118
28-12-2010, 09:09 AM
yeah pretty much like roll guards when you smash it back up

viinnh
28-12-2010, 11:07 AM
if you got a cai with out a splash guard, theres a chance of hydrolocking your engine .

Mugen Civic
28-12-2010, 03:56 PM
i was running no splash gaurd for two days.
Was afriad of little things like a rock cracking the washer bottle on the passenger side etc...

Mainly just keeps dirt out of the wheel arch.

vinnY
29-12-2010, 12:19 AM
splash guards not watertight, it's only going to hydrolock if the filters submerged in water and the pipe is completely covered in water
in either case, piece of plastic isn't gonna save you
guess it doesn't matter when you've got pipe coming off an intercooler ;)

well not worried about rocks flicking forward considering the wheels will kick rocks backwards

oh well I'll find a way to work this, I'm sure I can cut out a section or something

Zilli
29-12-2010, 08:04 PM
just means you get dirty in the wheel wells... and rocks flinging up will make noise... not really an issue

1996_EK_Civic
29-12-2010, 08:11 PM
i'm not running a splash guard on the passenger side, the engine bay does get dirty and have found rocks around the strut from driving on dirt roads LOL

90LAN
29-12-2010, 08:18 PM
cops can defect you is the main problem
if you can stand a dirty car then it shouldnt matter

vinnY
29-12-2010, 10:41 PM
^ will keep that in mind, in the mean time might just cut out the sections that are rubbing and see how I go

might just hide all the dirt and clean down there and paint it all black or something

flipfire
29-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Never heard of anyone getting done for not having splash guards

What about mudflaps lol

phwoaaa
30-12-2010, 10:21 PM
the splash guard can not stop your cai from hydrolocking your car correct.

but it does delay the time .

atleast with guard liners you can prevent your cai being soaked even with small amounts of rain as the wheels will be spinning right next to it.

true fact. :P

vinnY
30-12-2010, 10:23 PM
delay? doubt it
it's not even remotely sealed
bits of water shooting at the pod won't do squat, as I mentioned before only if it's submerged

phwoaaa
02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
i dont know about yours but mine sure is sealed alot better then not having it there..

iv ran the car without it and the pod gets full soaked even on light rain which causes the intake suction performance to decrease alot .

ever since iv put the cover on it has avoided the pod from getting soaked only on occasions where there is a large puddle ..