PDA

View Full Version : Did i get ripped off buying my car?

charliebrown
27-12-2010, 11:55 PM
- 98 model
- GSi/DC4 (non vtec)
- 100,000kms
- Got sunroof, ABS, driver airbag etc
- Completely stock
- Auto

$10000 from a c*nt dealer! Pretty sure the thermostat is fkd as well -_- not sure if there was front end damage or not, but the numberplate is all crumply.
As it was at 100,000kms we asked if they had done the timing belt service and they said yep along with heaps of lies about a 21 year old being an ex-mechanic and that he did it himself, then the assistant dealer guy just signed in the logbook and wrote T/B as proof. so dodgey... can't believe i bought it *bangs head*

stuck with this shitbox for a few years until i get out of uni, off my p's and enough money to sell it and get a nice manual car!

chauster
27-12-2010, 11:57 PM
yeah you got ripped.

vinnY
28-12-2010, 12:03 AM
hang on, so why did you sign on the dotted line?

act_gooner
28-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Too late now man. Did they at least give you warranty? Why wait until you finish uni? Work weeknights and weekends, especially sundays, you make mad cash moneyz.

charliebrown
28-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I bought it cos im a bloody idiot and just wanted a car asap. Rushed in, life lesson learnt... Now insurance is assraping me. Im only tutoring so I make $30/hr. And uni scholarship is 6000 a year + youth allowance of 3000 per year. Gonna be a fkn while until I make enough money. Arghh stupid shit.

The dealer gave a year of racv roadside assist and 3 year warranty on gearbox, differentials and something else. Useless?

vinnY
28-12-2010, 12:50 AM
doh lesson learnt.. in any case if it's under warranty ask them to fix the thermostat if it's under warranty
it might just be a $40 part + time but it's the principle of the whole thing

MikeyG
28-12-2010, 02:10 AM
insurance job champ

pm me futher :D

act_gooner
28-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I bought it cos im a bloody idiot and just wanted a car asap. Rushed in, life lesson learnt... Now insurance is assraping me. Im only tutoring so I make $30/hr. And uni scholarship is 6000 a year + youth allowance of 3000 per year. Gonna be a fkn while until I make enough money. Arghh stupid shit.

The dealer gave a year of racv roadside assist and 3 year warranty on gearbox, differentials and something else. Useless?

At least you learnt your lesson. A lot of people would just continue to get ripped off, a lot more than you did aswell.

dougie_504
28-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Thermostat is quite straight forward, just a very fiddly job. About $45 from Honda with the rubber gasket.

PM me if you want help changing it.

DC4 is a good car. Low KMs for its age too. Aside from it being an auto don't get too upset!

u mad?
28-12-2010, 02:53 PM
i agree with mikeyG

dc2r-0636
28-12-2010, 03:06 PM
insurance job champ

pm me futher :D

LMAO hahaha funny cnut

hussLEr
28-12-2010, 03:09 PM
WoW charliebrown..sounds like the dealer made a small killing out of you..

In the end though, the positive thing is that you have a car to call your own. Enjoy the freedom and remember to keep this lesson in mind for next time!

Read, research and ask for advice.

davidvtec
28-12-2010, 03:30 PM
hopefully the Ks are genuine..

xenonkuraz
28-12-2010, 03:52 PM
hopefully the Ks are genuine..

yeah...damn

to compare:

my cousin recently bought a manual green 98 vti-r with 140,000km for 5.5k from the dealer. no accident history straight body. his dad haggled the crap out of the guy for it

na-118
28-12-2010, 05:35 PM
she'll be right just drive the **** till you finish uni

charliebrown
28-12-2010, 11:52 PM
yeah...damn

to compare:

my cousin recently bought a manual green 98 vti-r with 140,000km for 5.5k from the dealer. no accident history straight body. his dad haggled the crap out of the guy for it

wow... so jealous right now lol, dealer was off his boat making all that cash for a crumby car. im missing out on vtec :( AND FKN NO STICK SHIFT :( :( :(

dc2r-0636
29-12-2010, 12:03 AM
wow... so jealous right now lol, dealer was off his boat making all that cash for a crumby car. im missing out on vtec :( AND FKN NO STICK SHIFT :( :( :(

Bro dw bout it!! Auto dailys are the best !! And atleast u got urself a car, also its a 98 model so its a facelift.. Looks alot better

charliebrown
29-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah looks is ok, can't complain... but it's a bloody turtle! And i don't know if it's worth doing minor mods like CAI and exhaust, i've got the cash for it but it's a gsi afterall =/
How much do you reckon i could sell it for 2-3 years down the track? I'm guessing it will still be <130,000kms

RtN
29-12-2010, 01:51 AM
imo dont pour money into it lol. maybe a DIY CAI is okay though

dougie_504
29-12-2010, 10:26 AM
My brother has a GSi. I got him a cheap CAI. We also bought a new XForce header and a second hand Fujitsubo Power Getter with Magnaflow cat already bolted on for $700 or so. Car goes really well IMO. I wouldn't get too upset about it being 'slow'. Honestly there are slower cars out there...

defect
29-12-2010, 11:17 AM
what a waste of time, getting headers and exhaust for a gsi auto
you're still gonna be as slow as a dc2 vtir lol

flipfire
29-12-2010, 01:18 PM
yeah you got ripped

mileage might be fake too.

blastnpast
29-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Now although you didn't get the best price, you have to consider how many people are over pricing there GSI integras and vti-r models like come on you got a facelift model which is great!! If you were to do anything to the car I wouldnt modify it as an automatic however if you got a job and were keen on making yourself a good smooth clean ride I'd be looking at swapping the transmission into manual as your engine doesn't go to badly without the vtec however nothing compares to a vtec motor.

If the body condition is good then mate you got yourself a good enough deal as most 98 model cars r rat shit on the body :)

So don't be to hard on yourself facelift dc4's or dc2's are not easy to find at a low price :)

blastnpast
29-12-2010, 01:34 PM
yeah...damn

to compare:

....... For a 98 vti-r to sell at this cheap price u gotta admit you either have your lines crossed? Didn't do a revs check and have been sold a repairable write off and the only people who got haggled was the dad? The engine must be on the way out and the owner knew it? Or the paint work is tossed around and buggered + the green is he'll yuck IMO

Also a dealer knows his prices and wouldn't sell a car under budget unless they knew it would not sell at all :/

That is all

charliebrown
29-12-2010, 01:38 PM
My car's paint job and interior is clean as hell, no rust or peeling anywhere so that's alright, it's not gonna develop skin cancer anytime soon.

Also... i can't tell the difference between a facelift and a pre-facelift, they look the same to me lol. if i can't and i own a honda, no one else is gonna be able to tell either.

charliebrown
29-12-2010, 01:39 PM
yeah you got ripped

mileage might be fake too.

The dealer provided a service book, i didn't have a good flick through it but good chance it's not fake right? :S

blastnpast
29-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Dude most people r legit with kms and it wouldnt have been wound back from a dealer they would loose their license to sell cars, did u have any Trouble registering the car? And check the books but I don't think It would be stuffed with, always is a possibilty but u should b right! Upload some pics and we will tell u if it's a facelift, I thought facelifts came out 99-00 but not 100%... Get pics up and well help u out also take some
Of the dash and kms maybe it has been replaced with a new one lol

flipfire
29-12-2010, 02:02 PM
My car's paint job and interior is clean as hell, no rust or peeling anywhere so that's alright, it's not gonna develop skin cancer anytime soon.

Also... i can't tell the difference between a facelift and a pre-facelift, they look the same to me lol. if i can't and i own a honda, no one else is gonna be able to tell either.

Thats good, but 10k is still pretty steep for a 98 gsi

Original honda service book for the car?

dc2r-0636
29-12-2010, 02:08 PM
read this on pre face lift and face lift

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?83635-dc2-face-lift-and-pre-face-lift

michaelz
29-12-2010, 02:11 PM
sounds steep but on the flip side, if you can drive this car for the next 3 years without spending a single cent on fixing anything (and maybe resisting the temptation to add mods) then you'll come out even at the end of it. sounds simple but quite hard to do. whatever you do, don't bother modifying it. it's auto and non VTEC, save your dollars.

assuming the timing belt was actually done, with only 100k on the clock you might be able to get away with it. first i would get that dealer to do the thermostat under warranty.

blastnpast
29-12-2010, 03:22 PM
read this on pre face lift and face lift

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?83635-dc2-face-lift-and-pre-face-lift

Ah ( with Ozhonda there is a thread for just about... Anything :D )

charliebrown
29-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Yep it is the original honda logbook (i think? unless they forged that too). The kms are consistent with the odo. Seems just like previous owner(s) drove very little, sometimes only doing 5000km a year but serviced in 5000km intervals.

I don't think i reg'd the car?

Although ozh has all the info, I can never find the threads im after using search function :(

Indie
29-12-2010, 06:23 PM
The dealer provided a service book, i didn't have a good flick through it but good chance it's not fake right? :SHaha, hm.

Next time, hey. You really should have taken more time and care with it all, but best of luck with the car.

charliebrown
29-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I didn't know anything about cars back when i bought it, so the mechanic's "engine works good" and dad's "paint job looks fine" was enough. Definetely will be fussy next time and haggle like a madman. I didn't even know the difference between GSi and VTi-R lol

act_gooner
29-12-2010, 11:31 PM
This is your first car man, some people one here may disagree, but trust me an Integra GSI is a great first car. I take it your parents aren't the type to go out and spend $20k on you for your first car, so don't be too down on yourself. Besides, if they were that type and bought you an evo or something then you wouldn't have learnt from this experience and could make the same mistake further down the track, but on a much more expensive car. Plus no one likes little preppy douches who reckon they're killin it in an expensive car that was bought for them by their parents.

As others have said, a GSI is still a good car and you have a facelift version which is pretty rare. You didn't get ripped by that much imo. Most facelifted GSI's are a similar price, but you get warranty.

charliebrown
29-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Agreed on the "parents buying 30k cars for their kids" bit... i had 5k, and through working my ass off in my final year of high school (in terms of studying hard, not part-time work), parents agreed to pay the remainder provided the car was under 10k. So yes, i appreciate the value of money and things aren't given to me nor do i take them.

From reading threads, the only things i can tell pre-facelift vs. facelift is the taillight indicators are white, the rear bumper above the exhaust has the line thing, the 'INTEGRA' on the front is on the bumper bar and not next to the headlights. I can't spot any of the shape differences or other ones.

And i did get warranty when i bought my car? It's just for gearbox and differentials. Not sure if that's worth anything.

EDIT: ahh i had to squint my eyes when comparing two pictures zoomed in hard lol. headlights facing inwards, 1 front bar hole thing instead of 2. cant see anything else though

NightKids
30-12-2010, 02:45 AM
Ahh bad luck man. Next time try to do more research especially with big things such as a car...

Dealers know how to cover up a lot of bad things about a car so good luck and hope everything goes well.

dougie_504
30-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Mate I drove my brother's DC4 yesterday just to my friend's to use his rattle gun.

Reminded me how nice his car is. I have a 1990 CRX SiR and a 1994 Civic VTi and I'm always surprised by how nice the DC4 interior is and how good it feels to drive. Good car, you'll learn to love it.

bennjamin
30-12-2010, 12:48 PM
op , yes you got ripped off relevant to what the car is worth now. But you are ripping yourself off by NOT asking questions beforehand.

charliebrown
30-12-2010, 02:08 PM
How much would have been a good price for said vehicle? And where do you guys find cheap cars! carsales.com.au isn't very cheap, well most of them, sometimes a bargain pops up but it's either too far away to inspect or looks dodgy

NightKids
30-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I personally wouldn't spend more than $5000 on a GSi, there's some nicely priced VTi-Rs on carsales I think.

charliebrown
30-12-2010, 02:44 PM
My mechanic said look for <150,000kms only... so whenever i entered that into the criteria, the list went very very small (<10 cars). I tried tradingpost, carsales, carpoint, firesport.

1996_EK_Civic
30-12-2010, 02:49 PM
yea my dad also said that when i was looking at cars, only get under 150k. but i convinced him look at my civic which had done 157k :) which i don't blame them for saying that, my friend bought an astra which had done over 200k km, fcuk that thing is a lemon. he bought it for 3.8, but the engine, rear brakes, and ecu were all fcuked. he fixed the brakes and ecu for a grand total of 3,000. the engine is still crap but not getting worse...

charliebrown
30-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I personally wouldn't spend more than $5000 on a GSi, there's some nicely priced VTi-Rs on carsales I think.

Oh and i see so many nice priced cars in other states... but in VIC there is shitall -_-
there's a million VTi-R's under 150,000kms in QLD for ~7-8k just as an example
wasnt willing to take the risk to get it transported without inspecting

dougie_504
30-12-2010, 03:56 PM
For a clean, low mileage GSI I still think you'd be paying 7-8g if it's healthy etc. Most of them are haggard, flogged and have 200k+ KMs on them IMO.

ryuhou
30-12-2010, 05:06 PM
bad luck... everyone makes mistakes
just remember not to make it worse by spending all your money on it
save for the next one make it a great buy instead ^^

xenonkuraz
30-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Oh and i see so many nice priced cars in other states... but in VIC there is shitall -_-
there's a million VTi-R's under 150,000kms in QLD for ~7-8k just as an example
wasnt willing to take the risk to get it transported without inspecting

think of it this way. if you had spent a couple hundred on flights to and fro and decided the car was worth it you would have gotten a vti-r for say 7.2k? 8.2k?

had the car/s not have been worth it, you would have just lost a couple hundred...

I bought my last car from sydney. Took the owner's word for it that the car was good and all...flew up there and drove it home the same day :)

Bulbasaur
30-12-2010, 06:24 PM
where to find cheap cars? gumtree.com.au, its where all the hobos who wont even pay for advertising go. if you are bargain hunting you have to be pretty consistant with it, if the car is a bargain they will sell within hours of it being posted up.

did you get ripped? DEFINATELY. if you only waited for a bargain on one of the car websites or saved a few thousand more you could have got yourself a dc5

MWAKU
30-12-2010, 06:55 PM
^ lol.. lmao honestly lol

act_gooner
30-12-2010, 11:01 PM
You can get cheap DC5's but 100% of the time they look like ass.

MWAKU
30-12-2010, 11:08 PM
dont most 98 model gsi go for 10grand still? i still see a lot of private sellers trying to sell for 8-9k with higher ks. plus u got warranty on ur car. just relax ur flaps, stop speculating if this and that happened, open ur hood, see if u can tell if its been hit or not, welds? bog on the ends of the radiator support, and/or not straight..? just cause the number plate is crinkly, could mean 100 other things

if its genuine ks, i dont think u got ripped. u only got ripped because u didn't even research jack shit? i was in the same boat, except i REALLY got ripped, i got a ****ing piece of shit false adv, and didn't start half the time after 2 months of owner ship.

so just shut up suck it up don't listen to this dumbos on ozhonda who say this and that. be happy that your car is still working and be more aware and alert next time and actually find out how to buy a car and what to look for.

how is that useless, if ur gearbox ****s up atleast u dont have to fork out 2grand to get it fixed. that shit cost an arm and a leg.

then arnt u happy with that? alot of other ****s pay 10 grand for a car with ripped interior and paint impurities and defects...

yea you could have gotten another gsi for about 2k less, with more ks, and no warranty.. but dude. just look on the bright side, u dont have it bad at all.. ur car runs, good paint, good interior, low ks (if genuine) but u can tell if it isnt by doing a revs check (if in nsw) or even getting a full downloadable report of the RTA to see the K's that it was on each year of rego..

and also, when u need to sell it, u wont have high k's either on the odo... rather if u bought a car with 150,000, then when u sell (lets say 2-3 years time) u have put like nearly 50k, thats like nearly 200,000kms, and by then no one wants to buy ur car

Indie
31-12-2010, 01:55 AM
I didn't know anything about cars back when i bought it, so the mechanic's "engine works good" and dad's "paint job looks fine" was enough. Definetely will be fussy next time and haggle like a madman. I didn't even know the difference between GSi and VTi-R lolHa, well, it helps to have a Mother or Father who can contribute more than 'paint looks fine', haha, but not everyone's a car person. Never mind. One rule though: Don't trust bloody mechanics!

On the plus side, for someone with little car knowledge, you've picked a great car. I was researching all sorts before I settled on a Teg, and believe me, it really is a very good car. You'll hear people talk shit about GSis (and Type R owners will even look down on Vti-Rs!) on these forums, but the GSi is a nice driver's car, without being overly quick. It's hardly the turtle VTEC fanatics make it out to be, and is a very nice daily driver. It looks the business, too. Provided the car is actually in a decent state, you still haven't done too badly. Just make sure to research every last detail next time, and inspect everything carefully. By being careless with everything, it was pretty obvious you were a walking target. Anyway, best of luck with the car. Just enjoy driving it!

blastnpast
31-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Agreed with the last 2 posts completely! And as I said in my previous comments mate you didn't get ripped, in fact you did alright for yourself and sorry but I haven't seen a dc5 go for anything under 12,500 lol and that thing had 210,000 kms :/

charliebrown
31-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the input guys, good to know the GSi still receives a bit of love.

About the dc5, i prefer the exterior look of the dc4/2's, and dc5 is a little big/fat although it does have a sweet looking interior and fuel efficient due to it simply being newer and whatnot. I like the dc5s and dc5r look but didn't got the dough.

manolii
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
yeah u got ripped off, i picked up a 98 prelude atts for $7k havent had a problem also found a 98 integra vtir for 6k nothing wrong with it

NightKids
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow u really told it like it is... lol