PDA

View Full Version : Buying a NSW car with a VIC licence!

Stig
28-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Currently in VIC, if I were to buy a car from NSW and drive it back to VIC to register it, what is the procedure?

This is doing my head in, just want to see if the procedure is correct

1) Check on the RTA database for stolen and written off status
2) Check on REVS for money owing
3) Check on the VICROADS database for stolen and written off status
4) Paperwork showing the person selling the car is the owner.
5) They provide a RWC (NSW) and receipt of sale
6) Transfer of Rego Form (I'm stuck on this one, which one do I fill out, NSW or VIC or both or nothing?)
7) Buy that REVS Certificate to prevent repossession if there is money owning on the vehicle
8) Obtain car back in VIC
9) Get VIC RWC
10) Make an appointment with VICROADS for inspection
11) Get VIC rego and number plates (or provide your own)
12) Hand over NSW plates to VICROADS and get a reciept
13) Mail copy of reciept to RTA to get money back from NSW rego

Anything else I missed? Tried doing a search but mostly the other way around and if there was something it wasn't very detailed

BTW: How do I even insure the car if I decided to drive the car back to VIC?

flipfire
28-12-2010, 10:41 PM
REVS will do the first two in your list. You can pay $20 to get RTA full car history.

I think you just fill out the nsw transfer form, and u drive back and vic and register it there.

You can insure your car straight away as long as you have the rego details.

DC5.Raven
29-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I've bought a few cars from Victoria and driven them back here to NSW.
Generally I get the seller to cancel the registration (gives me grounds to negotiate the price lower as they get a refund).
Then apply for a permit. These let you drive around without plates for a week.
Generally with the RTA here, all you need is some kind of receipt to prove that you have purchased the car. There is no need for Rego papers.

I'd assume that it would be somewhat similar the other way around (Victoria --> NSW)?

M@lew
29-12-2010, 10:00 AM
If you're worried about insurance just don't boost it back Henry! ;)

Stig
29-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I've bought a few cars from Victoria and driven them back here to NSW.
Generally I get the seller to cancel the registration (gives me grounds to negotiate the price lower as they get a refund).
Then apply for a permit. These let you drive around without plates for a week.
Generally with the RTA here, all you need is some kind of receipt to prove that you have purchased the car. There is no need for Rego papers.

I'd assume that it would be somewhat similar the other way around (Victoria --> NSW)?

did you get a VICROADS unreg permit to drive to NSW?

dougie_504
29-12-2010, 04:02 PM
In VIC the certificate to drive an unregistered vehicle is about $70+ and doesn't last a week. I think it's about 1-3 days, and you can only drive it to/from the mechanics to get work done and RWC etc, nothing else.

VICROADS also has a format of a receipt that you can print off and use when you buy an unregistered car. It has all the info you'll need to be as safe as you can be in this situation.

DC5.Raven
29-12-2010, 11:21 PM
did you get a VICROADS unreg permit to drive to NSW? Yea.

In VIC the certificate to drive an unregistered vehicle is about $70+ and doesn't last a week. I think it's about 1-3 days, and you can only drive it to/from the mechanics to get work done and RWC etc, nothing else.

VICROADS also has a format of a receipt that you can print off and use when you buy an unregistered car. It has all the info you'll need to be as safe as you can be in this situation.

It was around $46. And Im 90% sure it lasted a week. I think you're talking about a different permit? This one allows you to drive between 7am to 7pm for a week and I checked to make sure it was ok to use this to drive back to Sydney.

Rayle
30-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Actually, a 28 day permit cost me $71.60 back in April, a 5 day permit cost me $44.50 in October and a 18 day permit cost me $61.00 again in October, all this year. It seems to be calculated as $20.30 for the permit + number of days * cost per day, where the cost per day decreases as you increase the length of the permit.

mrodyssey
19-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Just saw this now. How did you go with buying the car in NSW? Did you use the VICROADS permit to drive?

I'm looking at buying an unregistered car in NSW off a mate and want to drive it back.

Just for the record, don't get pulled over by any Highway Patrol cops, as if you don't have the correct paperwork they will fine you for that ($80 from memory), and if you can't prove that you're driving to or from home/mechanics you'll get done with an unregistered vehicle fine ($600). Trust me, I know this from experience and it's not a nice feeling when you've spent $60 on a permit already and earning apprenticeship wages...

Stig
20-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I just brought the car with NSW rego, drove it back to VIC, got VIC RWC, book an appointment at VICROADS for inspection, then get REGO and pay the stamp duty

It's the same process as registering an unregistered car in VIC, but instead of getting a permit to drive around I had NSW rego on it

But if you are driving an unreg car from NSW to VIC, you would need a unreg perm from RTA to drive it home, then get another unreg perm from VICROADS to drive it to mechanics n shizz

mrmango
20-01-2011, 11:42 AM
not sure if its the same but i got my car from QLD

1) Check on the RTA database for stolen and written off status (i just checked vicroads)
2) Check on REVS for money owing ( i just checked vicroads)
3) Check on the VICROADS database for stolen and written off status (correct)
4) Paperwork showing the person selling the car is the owner. (correct)
5) They provide a RWC (NSW) and receipt of sale (correct, my car didnt even have RWC from QLD i had to get it from VIC)
6) Transfer of Rego Form (I'm stuck on this one, which one do I fill out, NSW or VIC or both or nothing?) (fill out Vic)
7) Buy that REVS Certificate to prevent repossession if there is money owning on the vehicle (i didnt do this)
8) Obtain car back in VIC (correct)
9) Get VIC RWC (correct)
10) Make an appointment with VICROADS for inspection (yeap, sometimes you wont even need to bring the car in, all you have to bring is the paper-work, RWC, plates, sticker. just ask the person on the phone)
11) Get VIC rego and number plates (or provide your own) (correct)
12) Hand over NSW plates to VICROADS and get a reciept (correct)
13) Mail copy of reciept to RTA to get money back from NSW rego (correct, but i didnt do this cause i'm lazy lol)

Hope i could help :)
PQ ME! :)