PDA

View Full Version : Extremly low Idle once engine is warm??? Help please

blastnpast
29-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey,

Basically as the title states when my car is first started it idles at 1,500 rpms but once it is warmed it basically drops to the lowest revs possible on my tacho then nearly stalls it and stays on the lowest idle possible..

The car is a 99 gli d16y4 engine and is completely stock from engine to exhaust only has a sound system...

I have got a few things which may be causing this:

1. Idle screw could be a little loose

2. Throttle body is clogged or dirty

3. The battery is to small to run my system

4. Thermostat problems??

Please if you have any advice let me know :)

dougie_504
29-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Doubt it's your thermo.

Could be worth cleaning your TB/IM with carby cleaner (just take off the intake and spray it around inside, then drive).
Also remove IACV and clean that up with carby cleaner too, at the back of your IM.
Idle screw...wouldn't it need to be too tight for the idle to be low, rather than too high? Or maybe I'm wrong.
What kind of sound system are you running and what's the rating of your battery?
Injectors clean? Maybe put in half a bottle of that Wynn's injector cleaner when you next refill, this stopped my low idle/stalling issues.

blastnpast
30-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks
For the reply mate! I'll give it a go this weekend and Definatly will look at cleaning the injectors + the cleaning of TBIM and IACV and the battery rating I haven't checked it seeming the car was purchased just under 2 weeks ago I'll prob get a new battery soon anyways It's looking kinda old haha

rey2009
04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
heyy sorry for hijaking the thread but i have a 93 twin carb civic which has the same problem my revs keep going up and down below 1000 when the fan is not on and sometimes stalls it

ii want to clean my tb/im and iacv but dont know what it actually means, how it looks like or how to remove it :(

Howla456
04-01-2011, 09:08 PM
do you have a pod filter on it.... once the engine heats up those things suck in nothing but extremly hot air makes it run like a bitch....

blastnpast
05-01-2011, 04:31 AM
I don't have a pod lol I'm completely stock :D

Bludger
05-01-2011, 04:53 AM
heyy sorry for hijaking the thread but i have a 93 twin carb civic which has the same problem my revs keep going up and down below 1000 when the fan is not on and sometimes stalls it

ii want to clean my tb/im and iacv but dont know what it actually means, how it looks like or how to remove it :(search IACV under the DIY section.

rey2009
05-01-2011, 01:01 PM
ok found the thread but i dont know where IACV is located in my car :(

blastnpast
05-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Google it because I found the location a while ago when I thought this was my problem :)

dougie_504
05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
ok found the thread but i dont know where IACV is located in my car :(

On the back of the intake manifold.

http://www.wonderbart.com/images/10/june/d16z6_iacv_2.jpg
http://www.wonderbart.com/images/10/june/d16z6_iacv.jpg

dougie_504
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Sorry for picture size. Was just a google search. Honestly rey2009 just have a search/crack at it man.

rey2009
05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
THANKS ALOT BRO

as i said my one is twin carby and its on the top not at the back

however i removed it and cleaned it with carby cleaner

no difference...

ONE MORE THING
when i turn my aircon on car dies out
when i turn my headlights on car becomes stable(1100rpm) :S

ANOTHER THING
The plug on IACV
when i remove it
car is perfect and stable and doesnot turn off with aircon on

so do i need a new iacv? :S or just drive without it?

blastnpast
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Replace it ! Don't run without it because if it wasnt ment to be there Honda would have left it off and saved money.. A second hand one should cost $125-250 :)

dougie_504
05-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Ah, sorry didn't read that part about dual carby.

Strange that turning headlights on would make it stable, but aircon makes it stall. Usually all of these things for me cause my revs to drop, but I know with my EF8 I need an ECU + tune after my head build to get it running a bit better.

Sorry don't know enough about carbs :(