PDA

View Full Version : s2k gearbox and clutch durability?

hondaboy
20-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi, im in the market for an s2k at the moment, driven a few of varying age and mileage.

Now, one of the salesmen at a dealership told me it would be wise to take out an extended insurance warranty deal when buying a 2nd hand s2k because he said that some previous s2k's they sold needed a gbox and clutch replacement (he reckons a few grand worth of repairs/replacement)

What i want to know is, how far is he stretching the truth?
Are earlier model (99-02) s2k gearbox's that vunerable if they have been pushed hard all their life?

I anticipate to pick up one with about 60000km on the clock, so would there be any need to worry about replacing the gearbox and clutch if its been given a good thrashing for the best part of 60000km?

depending on whether s2k's are known to suffer with gbox/clutch probs 2nd hand, i might look into this extended warranty deal

cheers

.::F[L]Y::.
20-01-2005, 10:11 PM
well in my opinion s2000 are expensive cars to begin with and those who buy it obviously have a passion from them. so therefore im pretty sure these ppl would take good care of their pride and joy. It will be naive to think that an s2k hasnt been ever thrashed at one stage during its life but hey, its a honda....im sure for a car that is worth close to 75k brand new it would come with a crappy gb.

toE
20-01-2005, 11:23 PM
i can't confirm, but the '99-'01 models have been known to have tranny/clutch problems. If the logbooks/receipts do not indicate any replacements of any sort...i'd be wary.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the with the '02 models, Honda has rectified this problem. So, if you can stretch your budget, or wish to be on the safer side, look for '02 models and up.

Alternatively, jump onto www.s2ki.com and post your query there.

Good luck.

:)

chris2k
23-01-2005, 08:06 PM
You only need to look at the driver to know if the cars been trashed.

s2000 are reliable if driven properly, if dumped clutches then off course you run into problems..

But if i were you i would op for the later models, such as the 01-03. Main reason is that 99-00 models seem to have some problems.

bodo
25-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I have a 99 s2000, and had a input shaft bearing replaced under warrenty...

but i also bought th eextended dealership warrenty to be safe..

at the end of the day - it is a sports car - so it will be expensive to replace parts, but on the other hand - honda is very reliable - and i have found their warrenty to be excellent

eknine
25-02-2005, 04:28 PM
99 - 00 is what you might want to watch out for :)

as they are known for the gearbox issues ;)

Creative
27-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Get the model after 01 as it comes with the rear glass window and other features....I want to get an 03 or 04 model in the next 6-12 months :)

andreqo
27-02-2005, 02:20 PM
my std clutch last for 33000 km ...then i replaced with heavy duty..cost me 1100 for the clutch

tegstar83
10-03-2005, 11:52 PM
what ive heard is that the S2k's are known for having gearbox bearing issues where they seize or crunch or something along the lines of that

mike@9K
13-03-2005, 01:17 PM
The thing with earlier model s2ks are that they have a gearbox and also diff grind. There is nothing majorly wrong with the box and the diff, just that they make a grinding noise. Ive heard of some people getting this corrected through warranty claim, but they should be already out of warranty. Mine has this problem, but its hard to hear through all my exhaust noise, so i dont worry about it much.

9krpm
14-03-2005, 12:38 PM
00 gearbox, 40+ kkm, 300+rwkw
gearbox is still ok so far

the clutch is weak in all year models to save the weak diff and axles

bodo
18-03-2005, 01:45 PM
What clutch did u put n your 9krpm?

9krpm
21-03-2005, 07:00 AM
exedy/daikin hyper single

Muz
28-03-2005, 03:44 PM
For the record I have a MY2000 S2000, bought brand new, that has suffered no problems whatsoever other than the frequently talked about clutch deceleration buzz (a cosmetic annoyance only). I had it replaced with a later model clutch and it has been quiet ever since.

I purchased an extend warranty which is almost due to expire and have used it only once (for a new rubber trim under the bonnet). I haven't exactly got my money's worth out of it but if I were buying a second hand car I'd certainly be considering it.

Cost of replacing this engine if the person before you abused it can make the cost of the warranty pale into insignificance. I'd want a thorough inspection and full logbooks and service history at the very minimum regardless of age.

PLES2K
15-04-2005, 02:14 AM
How much did the dealer quote you on their extended warranty Hondaboy?

If your buying it at the dealer, u can neg. them to throw in the extended warranty for free, but if your buying it privately, i would buy the extended warranty for peace of mind.

hondaboy
15-04-2005, 03:08 PM
bought the car a few months ago but didnt end up taking out the extended warranty.

they wanted $1500 for 3 years, but i think it would still be void if the car was to be used in motorsport/trackwork or if a claim was made based on the fact the car was involved in motorsport/trackwork.