PDA

View Full Version : improving sound system?

mugen_ctr
01-01-2011, 08:09 PM
well basically after hearing my brothers sound system.... it just shits over mine lol

Im trying to find out why mine sounds crap

at first i thought of the head unit, than ppl keep sayin its the amps, not tuned properly, etc etc
Asking ice experts how i can make better....

headunit: Pioneer DEH-2100IB (1 RCA Output????)
RCA: Sony
Amp: 1000 watt Cadance (look at jbhifi catalog)
Mono Block Amp: Pioneer Class-D Mono Amplifier GM-D7500M
Front speakers: Alpine Type-S splits
Rear speakers: standard
Sub: Very old Alpine Type-R (non Dual coil)

honda_zivic
01-01-2011, 08:39 PM
could be d folloiwng: batt, shit wiring, amp not tuned prop, reverse polarity wiring, busted HU/amp,

but how did u hook up the amps to rca? meaning u saying its only 1 rca out put.

mugen_ctr
01-01-2011, 09:14 PM
the head unit had one Rca out put if that makes sense... so basically im only using the 2 channels on the amp as opposed to using 4 channels because of the headunit

Ill look into all those things...

honda_zivic
01-01-2011, 10:32 PM
u can get rca (Y) spliters for ur amp so u can run 4ch altogether.

arverson
02-01-2011, 01:31 AM
this is a really broad question with way too many variables..

what EXACTLY do you find lacking in yours compared to your brothers? what his system consist of? what do you wanna achieve?

but having asked those, id upgrade every component. besides the rears of course.

this is a prime example of 'do it once, do it right'

slimx
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
i second his last comment :)

as for your system its pretty basic
Cadence is a cheap brand not the best amps, there best range only matches Pioneer etc.. change this. Get something HIGH HIGH quality spend most of your money on the amp for your speakers not the amp for your subs like everyone else does.
Your Monoblock is fine so if your bass is just sounding crap give it a re-tune
Front speakers, about this.. Type-S is suppose to be good but to ME personally i dno there shit, NO BASS at all even boxed there horrible but thats just my opinion
Get some nice coaxials for your rears just a cheap ass something that'll produce good treble/mid mix

But yeh you gotta be specific how does it sound more shit.. WHAT .. exactly

arverson
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
was braindead before & i didnt pickup on what honda_zivic pointed out before but how are your amps connected (RCA-wise) to the headunit? whats linking the monoblock to your headunit? is a LOC involved?

and following up from my last post. are you willing to upgrade? if so, budget? hows your 'installation'? ever been to a MEASQ event?

as you can tell we've gotta ask a million questions before we can lead you down a path of 'making things better'

honda_zivic
02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
what i meant is he said his using only 2ch on d amp coz the HU only has 1rca output. so i recommend him to get rca (Y) adapter spliters to put on the amp so he can use 4ch altogether.

like this: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ThTNGEOPtK11LM:http://thumbs2.picclick.com/pict/3003790269414040.jpg&t=1

back to topic, i'll start off with better HU and then speakers. also make sure u got the right box for the type R.

and would help if u tell us what ur bro is running so we can judge if ur system is sht or not.lol

arverson
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
thats what i mean. if his outputs are connected to his multi-chan amp, whats connected to the monoblock?

aka_NSX
02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
thats what i mean. if his outputs are connected to his multi-chan amp, whats connected to the monoblock?

Some Amp has got RCA O/P so that O/P can be use to the I/P of the Monoblock

arverson
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
fair enough. havent seen too many of those around. out of curiosity, what other companies (besides apparently cadence) offer that?

GaDgeT-CRX
03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
my eclipse xa2000 amp has a preamp output, for single RCA pair input...

I agree with the comments, too many variables to determine 'how to improve' current system.

How much do you know about tuning bro? EQ, Xover points, Low pass filter, polarities, delays, speaker mounting positions / angles??

Id say start yourself off with a decent Headunit with a few tuning features, then upgrade the cabling, sound deaden the doors / boot.. however far your budget will take you.

mugen_ctr
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
ok well, for starters the bass doesnt give a deep thud, more like a mono sounding thud, if that makes sense

An yea the splits dont give off enough bass, im thinking of getting dyna mats

Soo really get a better amp ofher than cadances? an head unit?

I have no idea about tuning audio system... how do u do it?

My bros back than, was top of the line, pretty much similar to that of autosalon... yes im a audio noob lol, but he payed closer to 2k, hu, amps, splits and sub

GaDgeT-CRX
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
mono sounding thud, doesnt really make sense.. sub output should be mono ;p

splits shouldnt give any bass, designed to play midrange freq, and tweeters up high

How big is the box you have your sub in? is it optimal for the sub?

Sounds like you have a long, expensive, time consuming road ahead of you to get the SQ you are looking for out of the system.. best to jump onto MEA http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php and start educating yourself on the process, gear, install and tuning that is required to get what your looking for :)

honda_zivic
04-01-2011, 03:31 PM
ok well, for starters the bass doesnt give a deep thud, more like a mono sounding thud, if that makes sense

An yea the splits dont give off enough bass, im thinking of getting dyna mats

Soo really get a better amp ofher than cadances? an head unit?

I have no idea about tuning audio system... how do u do it?

My bros back than, was top of the line, pretty much similar to that of autosalon... yes im a audio noob lol, but he payed closer to 2k, hu, amps, splits and sub

if i was u get the following:
hu: alpine or eclipse
speakers: jl audio, eclipse, rockford
sub: ur type R is good but if u wanna upgrade get DD subs.
amp: mtx, or wateva which has match rms and peak power.
also get dynamat for ur doors n shit. or else it will sound like ass.

tuning is piss easy just play around with setting see what type u like.

look for sum old skool gear, new stuff these days are shit as and went down hill, nothing beats old stuff.

blabla
04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
get a good head unit with min 2.5volt pre outs and front and rear rca outs plus a sub preout. run 12, 14 or 16 gauge wiring for speaker make sure all rca lead are insulated well gold plate plugs or platinum, min rms per channel 60wrms. good splits eg ad6's, infinity, polkaudio rockford alpine is ok but for the money there ia better out there. mono min 400wrms same goes with the sub. good subs are again polkaudio infinity rockford vibe space series.

i will testing out the new phillips range audio gear i am hoping for better sound quality out of them compared to current speaker and sub setup.