PDA

View Full Version : gbox, which clutch kit

jayeston
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
hey guys,
i have a civic vti sedan and i wanna change my gbox with an EK gbox as my current gbox has the bearing noise
so do i buy the d16y4 or the d16y1 clutch kit?

cheers

Bludger
03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Why don't you just change the bearing?

no need to change the whole GB.

new GB won't be any better if you change it.

TheSaint
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
the best gearbox you can get for D-series in Australia is the D16y8
its the only one that is guaranteed to have better ratio and final drive

but its EXTREMELY hard to tell which gearbox you are really getting and a wrecker will just tell you they are all the same and charge you heeps

S20 B000 is the EG gearbox with the better ratio and final drive - its from the JDM D15b VTEC (some have LSD) and the USDM D16z6 - theres a slight possibility the AUSDM D16y1 has it as well

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/the_saint7/PA080328.jpg?t=1287205376

S40 B000 is the EK version found on the D16y8 (coupe vti) and D16y5 (sedan vti) - problem is only the coupe got the better ratios and final drive

if you ask a dealer they will tell you they are all the same - they are WRONG

i have just gone from the D15b7 box - S20 A000 - to the D15b VTEC box - S20 B000
the clutch i used was a Exedy O.E. with Exedy lightened flywheel from USA
i couldnt justify a stage1 because the n/a D doesnt put down enough power to need it

mugen_ctr
04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
As far as im aware, Y1, Y4, Y5 and Y8 all use the same clutch an fly wheel, but as The Saints pointed, they all use different gear ratio

From what i can gather, Y1 an Y8 have the same ratio, from driving it, 1 - 5th gear all seem to sit same rpm as y8

Btw coupe version of EK1 is EJ8 :D

SOOOO hard to find a lsd gear box.... wish i had one though

Change ur gear box oil, an see if that makes a differeance

The bearing problems can be resulted of 2 main things, thrust bearing, an the input shaft bearing, mine has the same problem... i plan on changing the clutch to HD soon, so hopefully its the thrust bearing an not input shaft bearing

If its a thrust bearing problem, its best to change the stock clutch to newer one, no point in goin all that effort of openin the box an just replacing one item, it just seems the logical way of goin about it

If changing clutch go the exedy oe with fly wheel package... If not just get the oe clutch an replace that, an re machine the old fly wheel

jayeston
05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
thanks for the input guys :)