PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for modified euro cl9

roony
05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
29858 21/12

hey guys. I am currently with aami, and well they are increasing their cost. Havnt given much thought perviously into making sure the insurance covers everything. Its a std manual euro which has,

- lowered suspension/strut bar front
- 17" alloys (std comes with 16)
- type r body kit 03-05 (front/rear lip, side skirts)
- type r gear knob
- 9 piece dash silver trim kit
- bonnet protector

I had a look at justcars. Should I specifically mention that its a type r body kit? Cause im thinking if say it was to get damanged in an accident, they would only replace with the local version body kit?

Also while checking online with justcars, it gave an option to put value of wheels and tyres. 7 months back bought new tyres for it, should i put a value in it? Worth putting the smaller items such as gear knob, trim kit, bonnet protector? (cause i dont know do such things add more to the cost?)

Just trying to make sure I get the right cover, never put much thought into the insurance. A few companies i checked dont cover modified cars. Dont qualify for famous insurance as under 30.

I am also confused about the market value they give. I didnt check yet what justcar give. Shannons give around 15k market value. If i was to go with other insurance covers which do agreed value then well they dont do modified cars. Maybe I should re-negotiate with aami?

Aami gave me a rating 1 for life, does that matter if changing (or if I cancel with aami and resign with them)? Sorry again dont know much.

As you can see alot to consider, any help would be great. Thanks

Fredoops
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
- lowered suspension/strut bar front
- 17" alloys (std comes with 16)
- type r body kit 03-05 (front/rear lip, side skirts)
- type r gear knob
- 9 piece dash silver trim kit
- bonnet protector

Those 3 will be the one's you'd have to worry about.
Insurance companies really dont like bodykits or suspension modifications, they have grounds to refuse insurance/claim if the modification had contributed to the accident happening if they are illegal or insurance company dont know about it.
You'll be amazed how many youngsters got their fire claim denied cause their SRI filter caught fire....

I had a look at justcars. Should I specifically mention that its a type r body kit? Cause im thinking if say it was to get damanged in an accident, they would only replace with the local version body kit?
1. if you dont mention any bodykit, they wont pay for ANY bodykit in event of accident
2. if you do mention bodykit, they usually ask for a value.
3. btw... check out your excess once you added bodykit, they usually increase your excess sky-high if you have bodykit/modified suspension on car

Also while checking online with justcars, it gave an option to put value of wheels and tyres. 7 months back bought new tyres for it, should i put a value in it? Worth putting the smaller items such as gear knob, trim kit, bonnet protector? (cause i dont know do such things add more to the cost?)

I am also confused about the market value they give. I didnt check yet what justcar give. Shannons give around 15k market value. If i was to go with other insurance covers which do agreed value then well they dont do modified cars. Maybe I should re-negotiate with aami? Market value = they decide how much to pay you if car's written off. Agree value also changes (downwards) every year anyway

Aami gave me a rating 1 for life, does that matter if changing (or if I cancel with aami and resign with them)? Sorry again dont know much.
yes. it might, depends on the insurance company.

N3M3SIS
05-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Im with justcar
Im a rating 2, with a 06 Std Euro Automatic, coilovers, strutbrace, rim/tyres up to a value of $2,000, euro r / sport grille, and modified taillights
and they have given me a market value of $21,500, with a total excess of $1,000, but once I turn 25 the excess will only be $500

Hope that helps?

squishy
05-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Im with justcar
Im a rating 2, with a 06 Std Euro Automatic, coilovers, strutbrace, rim/tyres up to a value of $2,000, euro r / sport grille, and modified taillights
and they have given me a market value of $21,500, with a total excess of $1,000, but once I turn 25 the excess will only be $500

Hope that helps?

How old are you now if you don't mind me asking? And have you lost your licenece? pm me if you need to. I'm in the process of getting an accord euro and just worried about the insurance if i get coilovers, wheels etc.

thanks in advance

furythree
05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
if i have a body kit and lowering springs
but in the event of an accident, i dont really care about them being replaced (i.e. im happy to go back to stock with no kit and stock springs,,,which i will likely to stil have in the garage)
if...
a) i dont tell the insurance company that ive got them (cause i dont want them to be insured) and they find out, will they refuse to pay out any insurance claims? (assuming theyre not the cause of the accident)
b) if i do tell them, is there a way to let them know i dont want those parts to be insured? cause the kit is only worth like $350 combined, not worth it to be insured and add a premium in my opinion

i would prefer the second option if possible, but the first option would be easier as long as they do pay out based on stock car specs

white_ep3_civic
05-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm with just car and I have a few modifications. They will only charge you a small amount extra for the modifications. The age excess is what will cost you heaps if your under 25. I have
18" rims
Coilovers
After market H.I.D's
And a couple of other little things and it is only an extra $70 a year.

tonymulia
05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I am sorry that I don't know what is rating 1 or 2 for life. My one is maximum no claim bonus for life and when I moved from aami to gio, they still give me maximum no claim bonus for life and if you are with aami for quite long, you can ask for discount from gio as you were loyal to previous insurance company. In my case they give me further discount :)

N3M3SIS
06-01-2011, 09:30 AM
oops, my should have said my premium,
its $1,620.00 a year

and im 24

Im with justcar

Hope that helps?

Fredoops
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I am sorry that I don't know what is rating 1 or 2 for life. My one is maximum no claim bonus for life and when I moved from aami to gio, they still give me maximum no claim bonus for life and if you are with aami for quite long, you can ask for discount from gio as you were loyal to previous insurance company. In my case they give me further discount :)

GIO and AAMI both owned by suncorp... so of course they are happy to give you the rating lol.

aaronng
06-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm with Justcar in Sydney and have listed the following mods on my policy:

Extractors/Headers
Gearbox
Suspension Modified
Strut Brace
Cold Air Induction
Clutch
Sway Bar/S

The amount covered for my CL9 is $14000.

With 60% no claim bonus, and being over 30, the premium is $1025 a year with a $600 excess (plus $400 if the driver is 22-24). NCB protection is an additional $35 a year.

I used to live in Melb and my premium in Melb was about $100-200 cheaper than Sydney.

furythree
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
jesus im only paying just under $1000 a year with $800 excess
but reported a stock cu2 and didnt mention metallic paint

does it even matter? like if i have an accident, u take it to a repairer urself and then make a claim right? cause i have smash repair family friends...its not like theyre gunna put "replaced mugen replica bodykit and repsrayed with mettalic paint" etc etc just "replaced broken bits and heres the total"

aaronng
06-01-2011, 03:03 PM
jesus im only paying just under $1000 a year with $800 excess
but reported a stock cu2 and didnt mention metallic paint

does it even matter? like if i have an accident, u take it to a repairer urself and then make a claim right? cause i have smash repair family friends...its not like theyre gunna put "replaced mugen replica bodykit and repsrayed with mettalic paint" etc etc just "replaced broken bits and heres the total"

If the insurer finds the modifications on your car, they can void your insurance claim. Have a look through your PDS, it usually mentions that all modifications must be disclosed to the insurer or they have the right to refuse your claim.

DC5.Raven
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
If the insurer finds the modifications on your car, they can void your insurance claim. Have a look through your PDS, it usually mentions that all modifications must be disclosed to the insurer or they have the right to refuse your claim.

+1.
Especially with insurers such as AAMI that wont even let you take it to your repairer of choice. You have to go through their assessment centre then they determine which of their repairers (usually they would compare two quotes) could do it for cheaper.

Staying on topic. AFAIK AAMI will allow you only one modification unless you're over a certain age (not sure if its 25 or 30).

aaronng
06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
And if you need to have more than 1 mod, JustCar will cover it and they are a representative of and underwritten by AAMI anyway too.

white_ep3_civic
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I had my previous car with AAMI and I had a number of modifications. I was 21 at the time. My premium for my euro is $1400, my excess is $1200.

8700s14
07-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Sounds like some people are paying a lot for their insurance?

I got my 2004 Euro Lux insured for about $19,xxx through AAMI. Agreed value based on immaculate condition and 7x,xxx kms.

I am 24, Rating 1. I pay about $700 a year premium.

aaronng
07-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Sounds like some people are paying a lot for their insurance?

I got my 2004 Euro Lux insured for about $19,xxx through AAMI. Agreed value based on immaculate condition and 7x,xxx kms.

I am 24, Rating 1. I pay about $700 a year premium.

It depends also on which suburb you live in. I was paying almost the same as you when I was living in Melb.

natnat
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
i'm with nrma (for gti), re mods: they're very simple, as long as the car is roadworthy aka no defects / rta happy to register you rego and your mods value is included in the agreed value; you're safe.

but i'm now with coles insurance for my cu2. used to be with aami for many many years but i found better deal with coles.

furythree
07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
coles insurance???
i dont even have the insurance under my own name. its under my uncle's over 25 obviously. in the situation i get into an accident that would be a problem. but if it say gets scratched up or stolen. there shouldnt be a problem right? cause its not related to who was driving the car. and what about if someone bumps into me so its not my fault

RtN
07-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Just car, Just a rip.

furythree
07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
thats why im with GIO atm
but i had a look at Youi and that new aaami subsidiary, forgot the name
both quoted me $660 ish for stock euro, which is really cheap!
the aaami one doesnt allow any mods outside of factory oem ones
the youi one was alot better i think

will have a better look into it cause january is insurance month for me

roony
08-01-2011, 12:21 AM
great info here, thanks :).

I rang ammi, asking why they are increasing the premium. Just a generic ans that could be claims in my area has increased. Anyways, will see what I can get from justcar, maybe shannons too.

RtN
08-01-2011, 12:32 AM
isnt it also coz the new laws of how cars wont be able to be registered after being written off?

white_ep3_civic
08-01-2011, 12:48 AM
That is one of the best laws introduced. Not being able to repair a write off.

RtN
08-01-2011, 01:28 AM
hrmm well you'd always would have known if it was write off or not through REVS.. so that doesn't bother most of us.
now its just harder to get a car written off, so like cars in worse accidents than before would more likely be fixed, and premiums will be higher.
at least parts will be cheaper lol.

but yeh main positive point would probably be that there should be less car thefts for re-birthing. yay!