PDA

View Full Version : AP2 tail light problem

JN7
07-01-2011, 09:35 PM
hey fellas,
I got my car back today and installed my
ap2 tail lights on my ap1.
anyway, my problem is that my tail lights still have a dim light on both sides when everything on my car is completely off.
any thoughts? could it be the wiring?

aznsiko
07-01-2011, 09:58 PM
yeah.. sound like you have a short somewhere... check your wiring.. did you use the ap2 wiring?? or did u modify your standard wiring??

JN7
07-01-2011, 10:09 PM
ap2 wiring but I had to splice my ap1 harnesses

vyets
08-01-2011, 08:15 AM
this happened to me and my mate as well :( it's so annoying I found the only way to fix it is plice the ap1 wires back in, and plug a bulb in but also have the ap2 tails plugged in.

I searched for days but no luck noone has had this problem before. I also found that splicing one of these mini circutboards from a old small neon I used to have worked as well but that ended up burning and died.

I think it has something to do with the resistors in the ap2 tail circutboard it's not cutting the currency properly and it's letting a small amount of power run through.

For afew weeks everytime I park the car I would pull out the fuse, at first I thought you could just pull the plugs out but when you pull one out the other one lights up.. and if you pull both out your 3rd brake light lights up LOL!

JN7
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
what a headache! I guess I'll have to do that then. thanks for the help man!

JN7
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
yo yvets, did you only need to wire up one ap1 (inlcuding bulb) to make the dim light turn off? I only did one side and now their both off!

vyets
08-01-2011, 08:14 PM
i just wired up one ap1 brake light bulb so it sits in the boot lol that's all. any one side is fine

zhong
10-01-2011, 11:55 PM
does that mean it drains overnight? :O I was JUST about to pay for my AP2 lights...

JN7
11-01-2011, 12:00 AM
drains very little. my mate had his car switched off for seven days and cranked just fine when he turned his ca on

zhong
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Anyone try measuring how much power is actually going through that globe? Why don't people put in a resistor instead? Or am I talking fluff again.. I'd atleast hook up an LED instead, no heat and doesn't consume as much power burning halogen! Looks like it'll be more than a project when I recieve my set!

P.S. Did anyone install it without cutting anything?

vyets
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Anyone try measuring how much power is actually going through that globe? Why don't people put in a resistor instead? Or am I talking fluff again.. I'd atleast hook up an LED instead, no heat and doesn't consume as much power burning halogen! Looks like it'll be more than a project when I recieve my set!

P.S. Did anyone install it without cutting anything?

you can't install it without cutting the chassis it wont fit.

I had a resistor unit in there first which ended up burning and died, the bulb acts like a resistor and works fine and it only turns on when I brake so can't really notice.

It dosen't drain enough power to empty your battery overnight or even afew nights it does however kind of look cool haha.

It does not happen with everyone so this shouldn't be a reason why you don't order your ap2 lights, I would play around with it some more but I'm not the best with electronics

JN7
11-01-2011, 01:23 PM
are you talking about cutting the chassis or the harnesses? either way, you need to cut to have them on. yvets solution is easy and conveninent besides the fact that you have a bulb floating in your boot!

vyets
11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
are you talking about cutting the chassis or the harnesses? either way, you need to cut to have them on. yvets solution is easy and conveninent besides the fact that you have a bulb floating in your boot!

its vyets lol anyway and yes its the easiest i just spliced into the existing bulb harness the bulb sits behind the boot lining anyway so you can't see it maybe i should just put it outside so I have 2 boot lights hehe.

You have to cut the chassis + harness lol, unless you opt for grinding now the ap1 plugs.

m3ntAL_l2
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
ap2 is LED'd?

this happened when i changed bulb to LEDs on my mini.. might be because of different currents?

vyets
11-01-2011, 01:45 PM
ap2 is LED'd?

this happened when i changed bulb to LEDs on my mini.. might be because of different currents?

I would agree except it's not happening to everyone, only a select few people I always just thought my ap2 lights were stuff but now 2 more people appear hehe :P

zhong
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
lol @ yvet

yeh... i meant use an LED instead of a globe, but if your saying it only stays on when you are driving then that doesn't matter.. I guess i'll wait and see when I do mine. I'm alright with the sparks, so maybe I can find out exactly why it happens!

vyets
11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
lol @ yvet

yeh... i meant use an LED instead of a globe, but if your saying it only stays on when you are driving then that doesn't matter.. I guess i'll wait and see when I do mine. I'm alright with the sparks, so maybe I can find out exactly why it happens!

that would be good man I really want a proper solution haha my solution is so ghetto LOL

zhong
11-01-2011, 02:10 PM
you think that's ghetto... wait till you read up on some ns users... they are true ghetto..

i'm x-ns. LOL

vyets
11-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I didn't mean it like that lol and yea ns is bad :P expected but my daily eg is ghetto haha xD

lzybum
11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
i didnt cut or splice up any of my ap1 wiring...only grinded down my ap1 plugs to make them fit the ap2 sockets
and had to get smaller indicator bulbs as ap1 bulbs were too big to fit through.

JN7
11-01-2011, 04:57 PM
yeah, that's one way to do it. the other way is to buy ap2 harnesses and cut the ap1 harness off and wire the ap2 harness back up with the ap1 wires.
ps. my bulb off the ap1 harness doesn't even light up so it must be very LITTLE power

ChromZ
12-01-2011, 11:11 AM
hey guys,

im the other guy Vyet mentioned regarding this issue.
at the moment, ive just left it as it is. its doing no harm to the battery, but is annoying.

i didnt cut any of the wiring, but i took out the AP1 plugs and put in AP2 plugs. had to grind down the metal contacts a bit to make them insert into the AP2 plugs.

i have yet to test the amps running through the wires, but i also want to inspect the brake light switch (connected to the brake pedal i suspect)

JN7
02-05-2011, 09:59 PM
digging up an old thread fellas,
with the bulb that's just dangling in the boot, is that light meant to light up when plugged in and headlights on?
my brake lights won't light up when i have that bulb plugged in.. meaning when i take it out, the brake lights would work.
ive had it the extra bulb in for a couple of months and have had no issues up until now..

vyets
22-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Just saw your question on that thread John, check if that bulb is busted, caus it's a brake light + rl bulb so sometimes one of them goes which is what happened to mine just replaced it and works a charm again lol.
Just look too see if one of the lines are broken **** I don't know what the actual terms are LOL hope you get what i mean.
http://scootersparts.net/images/Rear%20Brake%20Light%20Bulb.jpg

mocchi
22-06-2012, 09:46 AM
filament

vyets
22-06-2012, 10:16 AM
filament
:thumbsup:

JN7
22-06-2012, 05:53 PM
thanks bro. it works every now and then but I'll check the bulb to see if it's goners

Flippit
04-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Thought I would add my 2c to this for any people who have this problem still/future. I've sold my S2000 but did fix this before new owner purchased.

I was having the same issue tail light would stay on very dim, installed a 4th brake light to act as a resistor in boot which worked for awhile before burning a hole in my mates jacket lol! I also ran into a problem where after the bulb would get a couple weeks old it would start drawing too much current and my brake lights wouldn't work at all some times so I'd have to unplug globe when driving then plug back in when parked which started to annoy me.

So I fixed this in 30mins, Purchased a LED load resistor from supercheap which acts as a 21w globes (perfect) this simply wires to the positive and negative of the tail lights which the 4th globe was wired to.

Here is a picture of the resistor form Supercheap.
http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/287170.jpg
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/NARVA-LED-Load-Resistor-12V-21W.aspx?pid=287170#Recommendations

Soldered and taped up to the ap2 conversion harness and worked a treat!
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8636/16166413696_649eeb63d6_c.jpg

voilaaaa
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8641/16166485736_92e843a49b_c.jpg