PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake for GSi

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm looking at buying a CAI for my gsi, probs Injen. Just wonderring what the difference is between the DC4 CAI and the Vti-r CAI because I noticed that in the JDM Yard section on here they only have the Vti-r part for sale, not the DC4... Are they practically the same thing? Probably being a mad n00b I just want to make sure that if I was to buy the Vti-r CAI it would fit properly and I wouldn't have any power losses.

Thanks y'all.

dougie_504
09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
VTi-R (B18C2) has an 'inverted' intake manifold so the throttle body sits lower and you get fitment issues with DC4 or DC2R intakes.

B18C2 (observe the intake manifold where you can see the plenums curved upwards)
http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!B-Hr!H!BGk~$(KGrHqIOKogEy+jC)otJBM7v-V8-(Q~~_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Type R engines and B16A's are like this (see the angle is reversed):
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/CRX/IMOn.jpg

So I don't believe it will fit the DC4. But the Type R intakes should fit.

Get a Fujita intake or something I think, not an Injen. Or even an ebay intake will do the job.

This one looks like it will fit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-94-01-Integra-GSR-B18C1-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-Filter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b6131170QQitemZ14049 3656432QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries).

Just change the air filter to a Fujita or 3A Racing one or similar.

integragsi96
09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
dc2r intake will fit!
or just do a diy cai

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 04:15 PM
VTi-R (B18C2) has an 'inverted' intake manifold so the throttle body sits lower and you get fitment issues with DC4 or DC2R intakes.

B18C2:
http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!B-Hr!H!BGk~$(KGrHqIOKogEy+jC)otJBM7v-V8-(Q~~_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Type R and B16A are like this:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/CRX/IMOn.jpg

I don't believe it will fit the DC4. But the Type R intakes should fit I think.

Get a Fujita intake or something I think, not an Injen. Or even an ebay intake will do the job.

This one looks like it will fit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-94-01-Integra-GSR-B18C1-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-Filter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b6131170QQitemZ14049 3656432QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries).

Just change the air filter to a Fujita or 3A Racing one or similar.

Well I currently have a K&N pod filter but want to upgrade to a fully intake system. I have heard that the ebay ones can cause problems because they are cheap so I'm willing to pay a little extra for something of real good quality. Is it your bro that has the DC4?

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 04:16 PM
dc2r intake will fit!
or just do a diy cai

Am I likely to lose power with the dc2r intake? That would be the last thing I want for the gsi lol.

dougie_504
09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Well I currently have a K&N pod filter but want to upgrade to a fully intake system. I have heard that the ebay ones can cause problems because they are cheap so I'm willing to pay a little extra for something of real good quality. Is it your bro that has the DC4?

So you already have a short ram intake?

Ebay filters I would not bother with, but otherwise pipe is just pipe. I can't see how ebay pipe would cause damage just because they're cheap - think of it like this: They're cheap because they're not ripping you a new a-hole by making you pay $300-400 for what is effectively some pretty packaging.

So like I said, you can use cheap pipe with a good filter. Same sh!t as the $400 intake.

My brother has a DC4 and we're using a generic CAI. Still functions fine.

dougie_504
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Am I likely to lose power with the dc2r intake? That would be the last thing I want for the gsi lol.

He's saying that the OEM or any after-market DC2R intake will fit. They will all give you power.

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I just stuck a Pod filter on the stock pipe. What about SIMOTA? Surely Injen will give me a bigger power gain which would be why its so much more expensive?

dougie_504
09-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I just stuck a Pod filter on the stock pipe. What about SIMOTA? Surely Injen will give me a bigger power gain which would be why its so much more expensive?

No for the love of God they won't. Don't just go buying sh!t because it's more expensive. If you feel that way just get a Mugen intake for $700+ or whatever.

Sometimes people just rip you off and you'll get the same results for much less money.

Personally I'd take any cheap ebay piping with a good pod filter over a full AEM/Simota/Injen intake because they're just too expensive.

EDIT: And you probably won't notice a huge power gain, maybe just a little better acceleration or it feels like it's rev'ing up more easily. Lots of noise too. Some of the big-brands claim to make an extra 4KW which is all very nice. But for sure you wouldn't be able to tell the power difference between a $100 CAI and a $400 CAI, provided you've used a good filter. For that use Fujita or 3A Racing like I said earlier.

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Alright thanks man. Was just trying to see how the high price is justified as a lot of people seem to buy it and reccommend it. I have more options now so thanks for the help. :)

dougie_504
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Alright thanks man. Was just trying to see how the high price is justified as a lot of people seem to buy it and reccommend it. I have more options now so thanks for the help. :)

Yeah sorry if I got passionate there lol. The one true benefit of an expensive/branded intake is that it's going to fit perfect most of the time, but lots of ebay products are just as good for this.

Also a lot of people probably just don't trust cheaper options simply because they're cheap.

If you can find a second hand Injen for a reasonable price like $150-200 then I would consider it.

Otherwise it's just like shoes. Why get that cheap pair when you can get a set of Nike's? They're the same, except one has a 'tick' stitched onto the side by some 12 year old in China or something. Yet they're 4x the price?

I made my own Civic CAI. I bought a cheap APC short ram intake for $70, then used some Super Cheap Auto rubber and aluminium pipe to extend it into my bumper. Cost another $105, so $175 total.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/Cars%20Other/17102010135.jpg?t=1294555816
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/Cars%20Other/21102009046.jpg?t=1294555824

As you can see I also got a header - $199 brand new, ceramic coated. Great craftsmanship too, but without the price tag!

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Lol shii your a mad price saver. I'll have to see how I go, when it comes to manual labour I might as well be a woman because I'm ****ing terrible at it haha! So I'll probs be looking for an easy option. Maybe second hand or ebay.

GSi_PSi
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
get a fujita from the states i got one brand new for my dc2 for $230 shipped

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Gsi_Psi Was that off their website?

Bulbasaur
09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
just get an ebay one or diy with less bends. there still just pipes at the end of the day

dougie_504
09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Gsi_Psi Was that off their website?

Ebay:

Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUJITA-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-ACURA-INTEGRA-GSR-1-8-VTEC-94-01-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b72aa683QQitemZ17057 6750211QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_500wt_975)
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUJITA-Cold-Air-Intake-97-01-Integra-Type-R-CA-1003B-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aIntegraQQhashZitem 4152562627QQitemZ280554251815QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3292wt_930)
Or here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUJITA-Cold-Air-Intake-97-01-Integra-Type-R-CA-1003-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aIntegraQQhashZitem 3a5e98c866QQitemZ250695174246QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3243wt_930)

Should all fit if it's for Type R

act_gooner
09-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Awesome, thanks for the links. Probably a better idea than me doing diy since I'm a mad noob. Lol. Would a GSR one fit? Thought they were exactly the same as vti-r's.

dougie_504
10-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Actually maybe not I got confused. Maybe just email them, or get something that specifies it's for ITR

NightKids
10-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Sorry I think I would have to object, don't skimp on crappy eBay intakes. Companies like AEM and Injen have spent a lot of money on research for maximum air flow. Even if the price to kw ratio isn't the best I have no doubt it'll definately perform better.

I've personally used an AEM one and it's great. The material they use is heaps better as well, nice and sturdy. The eBay piping I used feels really hollow and flimsy...

integragsi96
10-01-2011, 09:08 AM
i just modified my airbox, took out the standard air filter, followed the piping down to the front bar front the stock air box, took out big air box, cut the piping and stuck a k&n pod on the end and got good gains and cops dont hassel you as it appears standard...plus love hearing the engine through the revs with it...
sounds 10x better with an exhaust system tho

dougie_504
10-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry I think I would have to object, don't skimp on crappy eBay intakes. Companies like AEM and Injen have spent a lot of money on research for maximum air flow. Even if the price to kw ratio isn't the best I have no doubt it'll definately perform better.

I've personally used an AEM one and it's great. The material they use is heaps better as well, nice and sturdy. The eBay piping I used feels really hollow and flimsy...

What are your experiences with ebay intakes?

How will the difference in piping material/thickness alter performance? I don't understand how much R&D needs to go into a piece of intake pipe - 1 degree or extra or less angle in the bend?
I think the difference of internal friction or whatever would have a minimal effect as most pipe is normally sufficiently smooth.
Thickness only affects strength IMO. If the piping is thicker it will take longer for it to absorb heat, but also take longer for it to cool down, and the amount of time the air spends in the piping is negligible with regards to that.

Air filters for sure I would recommend using a good one but for pipe I see no difference at all. I would even like to get somebody to volunteer their Injen intake or whatever, then use my DIY intake with the Injen filter (on a dyno) to see if there's any change in output.

integragsi96
10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
What are your experiences with ebay intakes?

How will the difference in piping material/thickness alter performance? I don't understand how much R&D needs to go into a piece of intake pipe - 1 degree or extra or less angle in the bend?
I think the difference of internal friction or whatever would have a minimal effect as most pipe is normally sufficiently smooth.
Thickness only affects strength IMO. If the piping is thicker it will take longer for it to absorb heat, but also take longer for it to cool down, and the amount of time the air spends in the piping is negligible with regards to that.

Air filters for sure I would recommend using a good one but for pipe I see no difference at all. I would even like to get somebody to volunteer their Injen intake or whatever, then use my DIY intake with the Injen filter (on a dyno) to see if there's any change in output.

i agree with dougie_504 here
friction does not have such a large effect here as it is just air.. also the fact is that is if you create a vortex spin effect it would suck in more air as air would move quicker...injen doest not create that effect with theres...so simplily create a vortex spin in your cai you should see more gains than an injen am i right.

NightKids
10-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Experience comes from personal experience with an eBay generic pipe with 3A racing filter.

There's a lot of CAI comparisons on honda tech that proves the big names such as AEM performing better. Neither one of us can prove our points because that would involve putting a named filter on generic piping and there's no dyno results on such a setup.

integragsi96
10-01-2011, 09:57 AM
agree to disagree i think is probs the best thing here

but dont get me wrong i like the named brands but putting together a good diy is also very good to

NightKids
10-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Yes I agree with you. I'm semi passionate about intakes but dougie seems very passionate about eBay intakes with named filters. Unless someone can do some review with some dyno figures it's prob never ending. Highly unrealistic for someone to chuck on an intake and spend money to do a dyno run. Guess we'll just leave this one.

integragsi96
10-01-2011, 10:27 AM
yeh we fair enough mate.
i just hope we have given the OP something to think about
wether going straight for brand names such as injen, AEM etc or ebay intakes with brand name filters or doing a decent diy with a good brand filter...
3 different ways to make some power.

dougie_504
10-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Experience comes from personal experience with an eBay generic pipe with 3A racing filter.

There's a lot of CAI comparisons on honda tech that proves the big names such as AEM performing better. Neither one of us can prove our points because that would involve putting a named filter on generic piping and there's no dyno results on such a setup.

Best I could find was this one (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2049478) which isn't very conclusive. Looks like they test AEM V2 (not 3" piping though, maybe 2.5"?), some sort of K&N Type S, a SRI with 'BPi' and standard intake. Looks like 'stock' intake pretty much takes the cake every time.

Regardless I still think hoping for 4kw or so is a high hope. IMO go generic and use the extra $200 or so towards an exhaust component...

dougie_504
10-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes I agree with you. I'm semi passionate about intakes but dougie seems very passionate about eBay intakes with named filters. Unless someone can do some review with some dyno figures it's prob never ending. Highly unrealistic for someone to chuck on an intake and spend money to do a dyno run. Guess we'll just leave this one.

Not exactly, it's just that I think there's not a lot to be gained by spending that extra $100-200 when you can get something comparable for less. For example I did my own CAI and bought a $199 header. All up cost $374. If I'd gone for a better 'brand' I could have bought one or the other, but I'm happy with the quality of both items and I think I got the best value for my dollar :)

act_gooner
10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
After doing some quick reading on the net, to a lot of people it seems that cold air intake does nothing power wise, just makes the engine sound better? Apparently stock intake is better? I'm considering a fujita intake from ebay, sounds like a healthy medium.

NightKids
10-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Fujita is an excellent choice, Injen is a bit too expensive. I would have gone AEM or Fujita myself, the quality is great on them.

act_gooner
10-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Cool. So specified Type R Futjita Air intake. Thanks for the help everyone and the link to the traders on ebay!

GSi_PSi
11-01-2011, 07:02 PM
sound is awesome lol makes you wanna drive your car more once you put it on trust me

gumus89
11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
You will find your fuel economy drop for the tank after you put the new intake on.
You cant help but put your foot down to hear the roar at any chance :P

Dyno runs are sometimes done with the bonnet open and a fan blowing. This isnt a very good representation of normal conditions. You will find SRI's doing better than they will normally due to no heatsoak.
I think the stock intake has its pro's in that its plastic, which absorbs less heat than metal intakes. The stock intakes usually get their air from inside the bumper so once you remove any intake resonators that may be in there, you essentially have a CAI anyways.
I have cut into one of my foglight covers in the picture. This puts air directly into this cavity that the car sucks its air from. I threw in a K&N panel filter and I think I have the best of both worlds... Cops have absolutely nothing even when they are having a bad day, the filter doesnt get too dirty because its not a cone filter directly in the line of shit and I still get the roar and snappy sound when I prod the throttle on downshift.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii178/gumus89/09042010116.jpg

act_gooner
11-01-2011, 11:43 PM
So the power gains are minimal? As long as it sounds good though I guess haha.

Vvvtec
12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Injen. Hands down. Mid to top end is amazing haha.

And yes, you won't want to park you car once you install it. The roar is amazing, my vtec sounds like a grizzly bear or something lolz.

As Dougie mentioned, get the DC2R model if you choose to go Injen. VTi-R mod won't fit.

act_gooner
12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Well I'm probably going to go Fujita after all the info dougie and others have given me which will still be necessary to get a DC2R intake. Cool I'm keen to hear my non vtec roar sound like a more tame grizzly bear lol.

gumus89
13-01-2011, 02:25 PM
The power gains will be minimal but will provide more gains in conjunction with other breather mods and even a piggyback tune.

dougie_504
16-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Firstly I'm glad you're getting a CAI. Welcome to the world of car modifying! You'll F**ing love the sound and how it looks inside your engine bay!

And good choice with the Fujita. Make sure you let us know how it goes after install :)

NightKids
17-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Totally agree... you'll love the sound of the CAI. Post clips as well when installed.

act_gooner
17-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Lols, thanks fella's. Will hopefully be buying tonight, need someones credit card :/ otherwise I would have gotten it last week. Will let you all know.

integragsi96
17-01-2011, 12:57 PM
you dont need a credit card mate....get a visa debit...you only use what money you have.
but enough of that...good choice on CAI...you will love the deep sound from low revs and the sucking at higher revs

act_gooner
17-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I have been meaning to get one of those but never get around to it. Thanks bro, will let ya'll know how it goes.

act_gooner
31-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Fujita F5 came in the mail today, so really happy. Service was very good and would reccommend the distributor to anyone. Only took a little over a week to come from America.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/tda_motorsports/

Won't be putting it on today as it is far too hot, but hopefully this week.

integragsi96
31-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Fujita F5 came in the mail today, so really happy. Service was very good and would reccommend the distributor to anyone. Only took a little over a week to come from America.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/tda_motorsports/

Won't be putting it on today as it is far too hot, but hopefully this week.

its good to hear a member happy with their car...
post up a vid with the intake or something

act_gooner
31-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah maybe, I'll take some snaps. When I put it in. Pretty keen to get it on but its too ****ing hot :/

dougie_504
31-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Find some shade! :(

act_gooner
31-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Too hot for the shade even. Might do it on wed night, car needs a lot of attention atm, been hella neglected the last few weeks.

act_gooner
19-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks to splitting a finger open, school work and meeting a new girl I have had no chance to do this until this afternoon. However, I have pulled pretty much everything apart and have realised that I am going to have to take the front bumper off, which I cannot be bothered doing today. Plus I am retarded and don't want to break something I don't know about. Is there an easier way to do this? Would gladly buy anyone from Canberra that wants to help tonight or tomorrow some booze as I realize none of my car enthusiast friends are going to no anything about a Honda.

DC2-PWR
19-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks to splitting a finger open, school work and meeting a new girl I have had no chance to do this until this afternoon. However, I have pulled pretty much everything apart and have realised that I am going to have to take the front bumper off, which I cannot be bothered doing today. Plus I am retarded and don't want to break something I don't know about. Is there an easier way to do this? Would gladly buy anyone from Canberra that wants to help tonight or tomorrow some booze as I realize none of my car enthusiast friends are going to no anything about a Honda.

I remember I had to take my front bar out for the CAI. It's piss easy and it's impossible to break anything, just go by un-bolting the bolts thats supporting the Front bar.

Remember the Air filter itself goes on last, fit the CAI in first without the air filter.

I'll try finding a pic somewhere of what bolts you need to take out, to take out front bumper.

act_gooner
19-03-2011, 04:22 PM
If you could do that you'd be a legend :D.
Still not touching it tonight though, lol, too much frustration. I remember mates being all like "its a 15 minute job, easy as".

DC2-PWR
19-03-2011, 04:27 PM
If you could do that you'd be a legend :D.
Still not touching it tonight though, lol, too much frustration. I remember mates being all like "its a 15 minute job, easy as".

Nah way longer than that, it took me around 45mins all up lol. The shape of the CAI isn't really easy to fit in, does take abit of messing around.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/GU-ARB/tyson11295.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/GU-ARB/tyson11296.jpg

act_gooner
19-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Shii, thanks heaps for that info! Might have another go when I can get a mate over to give me a hand, as I'm not much of the hands on type! Reppin you for sure.

DC2-PWR
19-03-2011, 04:38 PM
I understand how it feels, but someday you will start opening things, and you'll love doing everything yourself. I barley trust any guy with my car anymore, only my close mates and my one mechanic.

Hope you can reward us with a video, would like to hear a GSi with CAI. Havn't heard it before.

Good luck

dougie_504
19-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I just took off my front driver's side wheel, undid the plugs that hold on the splash guard, and got into the cavity from underneath. Much easier than taking off the front bumper.

Vvvtec
19-03-2011, 07:20 PM
^^ This.

Took 10 minutes to install my Injen.

Just jack up the front of the car, undo the splash gaurd and all of the bolts for the resonator can be removed simply from underneath. Then just feed the pipe in from the top into the wheel arch cavity, mount the pipe onto the throttle body so it's not just floating around, and then go back and put the filter onto the other end. Then tighten it all up and put the splash gaurd back on. Bob's your fathers brother! :)

act_gooner
22-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Struggling with time atm but will let you know how I go with it.

act_gooner
27-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Done!! Finally lol, but worth it. Looks so bling, will take photo's tomorrow. Don't know if there is much of a power difference, but the car feels more responsive and the engine is a lot louder. Sounds awesome!

Vvvtec
27-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Excellent mate! Def put some pics up :)

You should atleast feel a little better pull in the top end.

act_gooner
27-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah, its hard to tell though because I don't often drive it hard. But yeah it definetly feels nicer and makes the little GSi engine sound a bit meaner.

DC2-PWR
27-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Video :D

dougie_504
28-03-2011, 04:53 PM
nice work. pics and sound ta :D

act_gooner
28-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Here u go lads

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/poo_stockyard/CAI3.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/poo_stockyard/CAI2.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/poo_stockyard/CAI1.jpg

Will try to get a video up soon.

Also got a question.. If I was the car on the grass in my front lawn, am I risking getting the filter dirty because of mud splashing up? Its no big deal to take it to a manual car wash, I just don't think they do a very good job. Also how often should I clean the filter? They can do it when I get my service every 10k, but should it be cleaned more often?

Vvvtec
28-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Getting your filter dirty from driving on the lawn is highly unlikely. If the filter was entirely exposed and behind the front wheel, it might be an issue. But it's above the mudflap and infront of the wheel, so no worries! Only thing to worry about it deep puddles. But I've had my Injen in for nearly 3 months now, and I've been through a couple QLD storms and never had a problem. Just be mindful and you'll be ok :)

As for the filter, I'm pretty sure they're capable of doing 10,000-15,000 miles (so my instructions said lol) so you can clean it yourself regularly or replace it.

Vvvtec
28-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Forgot to mention, looks sexy man! How does the Fujita filter look? I'm considering switching to the Fujita filter.

dougie_504
28-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Looks great dude. I use a 3" CAI with Fujita filter and I love the sound...it's seriously awesome to listen to...

act_gooner
29-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Oh thats sweet then, was worried about when hosing on the front lawn that mud might splash onto it, but it does seem pretty unlikely. The Fujita air filter looks cool I reckon. Pretty basic, but nice. I previously had a K&N air filter on the stock intake and reckon the Fujita looks a lot better, shame its down by the wheel lol.

For performance mods I'm thinking of headers next and probably stopping there for a while to concentrate on looks seeming as its a DC4. Greatly appreciate everyones help!

DC2-PWR
29-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Good stuff bro looks awesome!!