PDA

View Full Version : Removing mounts without spring compressors

NSPYRE
09-01-2011, 05:55 PM
hey guys,

just wondering if this is safe to do. thinking of a way to remove the strut mounts on my gf's DC2 without taking out the whole strut assembly and compressing the springs.

while the strut is bolted on to the car, can i remove the top damper nut (shown in picture) and slowly jack the car up to relieve the spring pressure, and then remove the whole assembly?

http://www.team-integra.net/images/BAEC1978-D3A7-4405-AB2D-2761DC15A96D/articles/suspension/coil_overs/13_loosen_top_bolt.jpg

thanks guys!

hisoka
09-01-2011, 06:33 PM
spring compressors are like 20 bucks man, and you will need them more then once iam sure.

may aswell buy it and make good use of it.

NSPYRE
09-01-2011, 06:49 PM
its not so much the price man, it just scares the living sh!t out of me, lol

markismaximus
10-01-2011, 05:40 PM
it wont work. you cant rotate that nut when the strut is bolted up?

chargeR
10-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Not that I would recommend it but I have always just undone the top nut the last few turns with the spring pointed at something soft and then duck and cover when it pops. Don't do this though. I don't see why your proposed method wouldn't work but it is going to be pretty awkward using the same method to get the new spring compressed and the top mount on.

dorikin
10-01-2011, 07:55 PM
if you insist on doing it without spring compressors,

take out the strut from the car, lay it down against a brick wall and put a sand bag on top of the spring and undo it slowly..

this is the ghetto way of doing it safely lol be prepared tho, the stock spring is very loaded

and if you're thinking about putting the stock spring back in without compressors, forget about it

NSPYRE
10-01-2011, 09:37 PM
thanks for the replies guys! i just need to remove the mounts, dont need to worry about re-assembly. i'll give it a go and see how it goes