PDA

View Full Version : dc2r over heating - urgent help

RSKEbaby
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
hey all,

basically I was driving my dc2r the other night not too hard, but vtec every now and again, heat temp went threw the roof and was at the end of the gauge (HOT) ! had to pull into servo station, and put water into the radiator.. to cool it down as I was so far away from home.. the radiator was dry.. nothing in there at all.. toped it up with water and to say the least, steam went everywhere! (servo guy though my car was gonna blow) once it was full the temp went back to normal... and drove home asap.

Now Im just wondering what caused the problem in the first place, and how should I go about fixing this problem?

The Car still starts and drives, but overheats to the max from about 10-15 minute of driving.

Cheers for anyhelp, Michael.

fromdeeeast
11-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck shut. Its only $30 to buy a new one and replace it yourself

mnc
11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't say thermo as his losing coolant.

Where did all your coolant go rofl?

Blown head gasket? Leak in your radiator/cooling system?

Update us more.

RSKEbaby
11-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Well, I had a jdm front conversion done roughly a month ago where a 2nd hand radiator was also installed, flushed and filled. It was good cond. Done by the boys at Bel Garage.

It has worked perfectly for about a month, no problems at all, highways and city driving.

No idea where all the coolant went when it overheated.., but it was gone. Ive driven the car twice since then and it has over heated like the first scenario and water has had to be put in. Each time I put water in, the Radiator is empty and fluid bottle aswell. Radiator Hoses are very hot aswell.

Possible Crack/leak in Radiator? .. but Im not sure.. came here for advice before I head to the mechanics..

GSi_PSi
11-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Hmmm any smoke on startup? is the car blowing any smoke?

RSKEbaby
11-01-2011, 11:46 PM
No Smoke on start up, and no smoke during running/driving. :|

MWAKU
12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
i hope you didnt put the cold water while it was still hot...

cause u probably woulda cracked ur head gasket by doing that

RSKEbaby
12-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Nope did not put cold water, put room temp/normal in.

GSi_PSi
12-01-2011, 12:37 AM
did you wait till it cooled down at least 30 mins? or did u shut the car off and put in water/coolant straight after?.

RSKEbaby
12-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Let it cool down for a good amount of time first. Also only put water in, as didnt want to put coolant just incase I had a crack in my radiator..

:(

NSPYRE
12-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Do a radiator pressure test and it will tell you where the leak, if any, is present. Check your oil for the usual signs of head gasket failure (milky residue). When was the last time your water pump was replaced/inspected? Check the back of your engine block and see if there is any white-ish looking run marks.

IEVAQ8
12-01-2011, 09:45 AM
for u to be filling the radiator up everytime it over heats, it means the water/coolant is leaking sumwhere externally, and if u cant see it on the ground anywhere, check under ur feet in the car (carpet might be damp) it means ur heater core is fuked or if still nothing, then u got a blown headgasket.........

good luck with it man.....

dc2r-0636
12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
for u to be filling the radiator up everytime it over heats, it means the water/coolant is leaking sumwhere externally, and if u cant see it on the ground anywhere, check under ur feet in the car (carpet might be damp) it means ur heater core is fuked or if still nothing, then u got a blown headgasket.........

good luck with it man.....

+1

also if both your hoses are hot (the one going to the engine and the one coming from the engine) are both hot when touched then thermostat is fine. as it is opening at the correct tempreture. coolant related issues are a head ****

RSKEbaby
12-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Alright thanks for the advice/tips, will give it a check out today and post progress/updates. Hopefully all goes well and its just the radiator..

Cheers.

tRipitaka
12-01-2011, 01:40 PM
might be your water pump that needs replacing.

NightKids
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
So what's the verdict? Any updates?

mocchi
12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
i wonder if ppl actually do monthly checks. this wouldnt happen if one was to do monthly check of fluids etc.

RSKEbaby
13-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Cracked/leaking Radiator at the bottom, switched radiators and flushed and filled with coolant. Everything is back to normal now.

Thanks for all the help/advice.. Cheers =)