by the looks of it im gna have to do an engine swap

but i dunno wat i should do
have u ppl got any suggestions ?

and include price
lol
:)

A'PEXi
06-12-2003, 08:03 PM
where bouts are you located for starters? if you are looking at a more than ave. power gain then yes alot of money will need to be spent, and possibly could involve an engine conversion. you could also take the turbo/supercharger route.....

if you are keen on the engine conversion then the b16a would be one which is popular amongst civics and others such as the b18 and b20 are also possible but may be a tad more expensive... and slightly rarer to find... another common one is the h22a - currently i know a place which will install them for 3000 including engine, but you will have to change your suspension setup at the front to support the heavy weight of the engine.

CVK-A
06-12-2003, 08:07 PM
kool

well im located in sydney

thanx dude

so which one is in the 2000 model type r's

is that a b16a ? ?

i wouldnt mind something like that

or the b16b b18
what are differences

and 3 grand u said for a h22a ... how much for a b16a

wat r the characteristics of a h22a as compared to a b16a

mo
06-12-2003, 09:18 PM
kool

thanx dude

is that a b16a ? ?

or the b16b b18
what are differences

APEXi is in brisbane so don't worry about him...

2000 type-r? you meaning the ITR? if you mean ITR then no it's not b16a
i really suggest you search the forums for threads on transplants. but if you want a nice cheap conversion then go the B16A2, what civic you have? ed/eg/ek ?

b16a front cuts are usually about the 3k mark but depending what is on your car already really determines what else needs to be changed, example would be disc brakes, or if you have an older civic, then a EFI conversion etc. you get my point?

EG5
07-12-2003, 02:06 PM
before u start anything , u should set out how much money u wanna spend.

do research from www.honda-tech.com

there are tons of hybrid honda tech info there.

Bumble B
07-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey there... I'm kinda in the same situation as you. Don't know what to do with my car. Anyway....

In summary, you can:

1. Engine swap
2. Turbo
3. Buy another car, for example a Civic VTiR

Well, about the H22A, that is not a direct swap like the B16A or B18C engines. More work is needed (and money!) as the engine is huge and heavy.

bennjamin
07-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Dam B , u learnt all that in one night ? *j/k ! Please dont sting me :P*

Anyway - as B and all others have said...REALLYthink over your options before attempting - as such a projcet can cost more than double of that you started with...not to mention anything that COULD go wrong !

Research !!!

www.honda-tech.com.

XXpl0Sive
07-12-2003, 04:34 PM
To build something great, you always need a good base :)

2ds
07-12-2003, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't recommend you putting a h22a in there.

-2ds

vti-2
07-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't the H22A be too heavy in the Civic?

VTi-RT
07-12-2003, 08:03 PM
a H22 will be good only if you plan to go in a straight line. Stick to a B16A or B18C...

Bumble B
07-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Wouldn't the H22A be too heavy in the Civic?

I have seen it done. If you have money, almost anything is possible!

vti-2
08-12-2003, 07:16 AM
I know it's been done but the H22A would make the Civic too heavy at the front. Good for straight line but not good for the twisties. :D

eknine
08-12-2003, 10:34 AM
since we are always on topic of which engine for what...maybe next time it be good for anyone to ask such question to put in their budget and what are they hopping to achieve- a track or for the street.

else every week we get somone coming along asking the same question
and we always go
1) turbochage
2) superchage
3) conversion swap
4) buy a new car

there is really no substance in such answer rather than pointing them in the same ole same ole direction. end of the day the thread either die because they is really nothing much to say or should i say the person who started this thread either test the end of the water knowledge or simply does not have the planned buget and although it does provide some direction these so answers don't really take them very far:) for they either don't have the resources or don't have that determination to see thru it all:)

maybe a better output whoever be to tell of what is needed/wanted
(i.e question - i'm driving this.. money is not much of an object if its well resonable.. i don't want rice power but decent gains to maybe take on these cars and it has to be a sleeper and i have plans to sell this ..untill when i can offard an nsx) throughly frictional but at least provide a line to follow thru a short or long term plan:)

and i must agreed with what ben has mentioned, alot of time unless you have the right assistance , budget over-run or the extra money is needed involved or fund the hicksup along the way is inevitable - unless you are prepared to rest the car in the garage for mnths to get your next set of fund ready.

A)and we all know that auto car are really not a good start for conversion to a manual car when in the first place he/she should get a manual...and B) auto car are really a tough subject to do anything properly to begin with.

well my opinions and thoughs of today:)

eknine
08-12-2003, 10:49 AM
CVK-A, my advice, if you have the fund..sell your civic gli and get a civic vti-r

otherwise, unless you are prepared and you have that determination to see thru all the hasle from the swap to the funding to the certification and the hicksup before, during and after and the running then do what you reckon its necessary...the cost may or most of time could outweights the cost of a better car

as harsh as it get..i saw a quote on hond-tech today and its really fitting to all those who are either doing any purchase or thinking of big plans....and getting those necessary together

" if you ask how much , you cannot afford it"

as much as it can sound condescending or an insult the fact that it is true...for anything that dwells with cars, you have to have healthy budget, the time , the determination ..else nothing beats buying the choice of you car to an engine swap for that matter:)

although i am not saying that you have to be rich to embark in big plans..but unless you know the project is for keeps for a while and nothing would or could send you thinking in a different way, then first and foremost get a decent fund together and while you are at it...2 things to pull it together, research..research and more determination. else all talk is just plain dreamin'....so for now whatever you choose to purchase from a pod filter to a strut ask urself are you thinking of going the big way, if your are, make sure whatever you try you hand on getting today could be well reuse for your big project, else just live out your current ride and save for a better .....

mo
08-12-2003, 10:53 AM
i say we make a sticky thread for it!! ffs we do get one every week

A'PEXi
08-12-2003, 05:59 PM
kool

thanx dude

is that a b16a ? ?

or the b16b b18
what are differences

APEXi is in brisbane so don't worry about him...

2000 type-r? you meaning the ITR? if you mean ITR then no it's not b16a
i really suggest you search the forums for threads on transplants. but if you want a nice cheap conversion then go the B16A2, what civic you have? ed/eg/ek ?

b16a front cuts are usually about the 3k mark but depending what is on your car already really determines what else needs to be changed, example would be disc brakes, or if you have an older civic, then a EFI conversion etc. you get my point?

lol stfu mo :D

dc2 type r - b18c
dc5 type r - k20a
ek9 type r - b16b
ek4 vti-r - b16a *also came in other cars such as teg xsi, sir blah blah blah*

if you really wanted the h22a you could have it shipped down to you in sydney... just need $$.. the b16a is actually a tad more expensive i think.... (according to honda wreckers here)

CVK-A
09-12-2003, 12:14 PM
appreciate the help guys

i like that quote
:) sort of true

although not that i dont have the money
but like i have heard i wanted to know wether it was worth my while maybe making an out of the oridary civic...however with the money that i would be spending these last couple of days my mind has been turned to the integra type r's 2000 model

luv those cars ! :)

Rufes1
09-12-2003, 08:08 PM
In my oppinion if you are going to spend the money to do an engine swap u may as well spend the little bit more and put the b18c in which has a lot more potential than the b16a...

2ds
10-12-2003, 04:37 AM
little bit more my arse it'sabout twice as much!

eknine
10-12-2003, 02:57 PM
CVK, good choice and a better ride:)

g'luck :)

appreciate the help guys

i like that quote
:) sort of true

although not that i dont have the money
but like i have heard i wanted to know wether it was worth my while maybe making an out of the oridary civic...however with the money that i would be spending these last couple of days my mind has been turned to the integra type r's 2000 model

luv those cars ! :)

2ds
10-12-2003, 04:18 PM
In my oppinion if you are going to spend the money to do an engine swap u may as well spend the little bit more and put the b18c in which has a lot more potential than the b16a...

11s isn't enough ? =p

-2ds