PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend me a civic please?

sexy_shazam
16-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey guys

So i recently got my p's and im looking for my first car.

My dad used to work for Honda so my family has pretty much always owned them so im looking at a Honda as my first car also due to the fact my dad still knows people who will make sure my car gets a good servicing etc.

Now my question is I have 3k saved up in the back and can get another 2k itself giving me 5k total. Im hoping that this will include insurance and rego etc.

Ive had a look on car websites and it seems civics seem to start at around 3kish for a 90's+ model.

So which model would best fit my budget? as well as what are some things to look for when buying a Civic?

Sorry if this is in the wrong area

Thanks.

mugen_ctr
16-01-2011, 06:00 PM
eg5 vti are great little cars, if you can find a well looked after one, if not a newer model, ek1, with disc brakes, aircon power steering, power windows..

sexy_shazam
16-01-2011, 06:13 PM
eg5 vti are great little cars, if you can find a well looked after one, if not a newer model, ek1, with disc brakes, aircon power steering, power windows..

Thanks im not to sure what year that is but ive found a few 95 GLI for sale at dealer will give them a look.

Did the sunroofs only come on specific models? would love to own one but its not a deal breaker.

Also when buying what are some things to look out for? I really dont want to buy a lemon

quangsuke
16-01-2011, 07:28 PM
look for servicing. rust. dings. accident history. look at leaks etc.

sunroofs only came with the VTI model, any other car which has them is aftermarket.

Gli's are a great foundation for p's, but keep a look out for the cars that have been converted already. save urself the headache plus a fun p'plate car

sexy_shazam
16-01-2011, 07:35 PM
look for servicing. rust. dings. accident history. look at leaks etc.

sunroofs only came with the VTI model, any other car which has them is aftermarket.

Gli's are a great foundation for p's, but keep a look out for the cars that have been converted already. save urself the headache plus a fun p'plate car

I will be going with my bro in law who has some car knowledge so hopefuly i dont forget to ask some questions.

But any more specific things to check u know that say only a mechanic would know of or an enthusiast?

Also any sounds to look for when im test driving which could indicate problems in the future?

I know to check the air conditioner and as for seals do I just pour water over them to see if they seels?

What about servicing how much is a 200,000km service and what needs to be done?

thank you

i_jazz_u
16-01-2011, 07:55 PM
theres plenty...

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=9903736&__Qpb=true&Cr=6&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=15&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322% 204294965250%20%20442&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&PriceTo=442&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=190&__sid=12D1956D50DD

i find this one ok, sedan, manual, SI but no sunroof lol. its atleast a start, should cover insurance, rego and service. pretty much service everything air filter to timingbelt kit oil etc.

HorrO
16-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I recently bought a 96' GLi as my first car, it's great and according to the mechanic that checked it 'rock solid'. It came with all on roads for around $4500 and I Couldn't recommend it more. Just make sure you get it checked by someone who knows what they're doing, spending a little money now might save you a lot of money in the future.

sexy_shazam
16-01-2011, 08:17 PM
theres plenty...

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=9903736&__Qpb=true&Cr=6&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=15&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322% 204294965250%20%20442&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&PriceTo=442&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=190&__sid=12D1956D50DD

i find this one ok, sedan, manual, SI but no sunroof lol. its atleast a start, should cover insurance, rego and service. pretty much service everything air filter to timingbelt kit oil etc.

Sorry should have clarified my main things i need is Auto and under 200,000 kms.

Im looking at 3rd party insurance which under my dads name will put my insurance at around $700 for third party.

i_jazz_u
16-01-2011, 08:24 PM
oh my bad lol

sexy_shazam
16-01-2011, 08:25 PM
oh my bad lol

Its ok but thank you for the advice i really do appreciate it.

sexy_shazam
16-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I recently bought a 96' GLi as my first car, it's great and according to the mechanic that checked it 'rock solid'. It came with all on roads for around $4500 and I Couldn't recommend it more. Just make sure you get it checked by someone who knows what they're doing, spending a little money now might save you a lot of money in the future.

Is there anything I can first check to see like the basic check of the car? Id rather see if i can check it out myself and save $200 and only spend the $200 as a final resort.

Like do a basic check myself and if that turns up ok than I can get an independant person to look at the car.

Wills
16-01-2011, 09:45 PM
If your dad worked at honda wouldnt he know atleast a little about cars and check it out for you? better than spending $200 for an inspection as you're on quite a tight budget. Anyhow, keep checking on carsales for eg vti and ek1s, they're quite inexpensive, decent looking car that go alright!! Good little cars for first car buyers. They are also very fuel efficient.

dougie_504
16-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I would go EG Si for the DOHC non-VTEC engine. Has better low-mid range power than the SOHC VTEC ones. Fun car :)

OBS355
16-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I recently brought a 96 EK1 Civic Gli Sedan, and its a fantastic little car.

Things to look for (or what I look for when buying a used car)...

* Check engine all over for oil leaks. Take it for a drive until it gets to full operating temp and check for oil leaks again.
* Same for coolant/radiator (full operating temp and check for leaks).
* Check tyres for uneven wear, and for decent tread (uneven wear can often suggest it was in an accident).
* Check all doors open and close well (can also be a sign of an accident if they don't), all windows go up and down well, power mirrors, A/C etc - basically make sure all electrical componentry works ok.
* While driving snake it on the road a little (where it is safe to do so), and listen for any knocks, clunks, strange noises.
* Turn the wheels full lock each way and drive slowly and listen for any grinding sounds which could indicate CV join problems.
* Brake hard where safe to do so - see how well it pulls up and if there is any shudder or wobbling of the steering wheel.
* Check brake discs for bad wear or grooving in the rotors.
* Push the car hard where safe to do so to see how well it puts the power down and if there is any smoke from the exhaust under load, or pinging/strange noises under load.
* Make sure the car is clean and well presented. Check body for dents, areas that have possible been resprayed and repaired (signs of accident) etc.

Theres lots of other things but they are the basics off the top of my head.

The best thing to do is to take someone along who knows their stuff when it comes to cars and get them to look at it from the point of view as if they were buying it and spending their hard earned money on it.

Hope that helps a little!

mugen_ctr
16-01-2011, 10:37 PM
And definatly check the drive shafts for torn boots, if left unattended, will lead to knocking sounds an kill em off slowly

quangsuke
16-01-2011, 11:02 PM
I will be going with my bro in law who has some car knowledge so hopefuly i dont forget to ask some questions.

But any more specific things to check u know that say only a mechanic would know of or an enthusiast?

Also any sounds to look for when im test driving which could indicate problems in the future?

I know to check the air conditioner and as for seals do I just pour water over them to see if they seels?

What about servicing how much is a 200,000km service and what needs to be done?

thank you

well it all comes to what u want.
like i said above first u look at the maintenance of the car.
how often has it been serviced? receipts/books to prove. u want to make sure that the major service has been done also (timing belt, pumps etc 100,000-200,000)
check for any odd leaks etc all the common sense stuff basically.

try to get a car that has already had its major service, save u money plus reassurance on the car will be running (isn't always the case though).

good tip i've learnt is to walk around the car and tap the body (should hear the same noise all around) if u hear a weird different tone u can suspect that its hard repair.

make sure suspension hasn't bottomed out, brakes are meaty, any abnormal noises inside cabin while driving.

best to get someone that knows there stuff....but somebody is better then no body

all the best!
q

sexy_shazam
17-01-2011, 06:56 AM
If your dad worked at honda wouldnt he know atleast a little about cars and check it out for you? better than spending $200 for an inspection as you're on quite a tight budget. Anyhow, keep checking on carsales for eg vti and ek1s, they're quite inexpensive, decent looking car that go alright!! Good little cars for first car buyers. They are also very fuel efficient.

He's never worked in the dealership he's always worked with them in the office. He knows somethings to look out for but none of the say owners things like sounds to look out for that could be a sign of abuse or anything.

albertjai
17-01-2011, 11:45 AM
you can get an ek1 for like 3-4k in reasonable condition if you look around

sexy_shazam
17-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I recently brought a 96 EK1 Civic Gli Sedan, and its a fantastic little car.

Things to look for (or what I look for when buying a used car)...

* Check engine all over for oil leaks. Take it for a drive until it gets to full operating temp and check for oil leaks again.
* Same for coolant/radiator (full operating temp and check for leaks).
* Check tyres for uneven wear, and for decent tread (uneven wear can often suggest it was in an accident).
* Check all doors open and close well (can also be a sign of an accident if they don't), all windows go up and down well, power mirrors, A/C etc - basically make sure all electrical componentry works ok.
* While driving snake it on the road a little (where it is safe to do so), and listen for any knocks, clunks, strange noises.
* Turn the wheels full lock each way and drive slowly and listen for any grinding sounds which could indicate CV join problems.
* Brake hard where safe to do so - see how well it pulls up and if there is any shudder or wobbling of the steering wheel.
* Check brake discs for bad wear or grooving in the rotors.
* Push the car hard where safe to do so to see how well it puts the power down and if there is any smoke from the exhaust under load, or pinging/strange noises under load.
* Make sure the car is clean and well presented. Check body for dents, areas that have possible been resprayed and repaired (signs of accident) etc.

Theres lots of other things but they are the basics off the top of my head.

The best thing to do is to take someone along who knows their stuff when it comes to cars and get them to look at it from the point of view as if they were buying it and spending their hard earned money on it.

Hope that helps a little!

Thank you so much I really do appreciate it. I will do all these things first and if im still interested in the car i will get it checked out by a proper mechanic.

With the radiator and coolent leaks all i will be looking for is say a puddle of fluid under the car? or can i check by say the color of the coolent and the smell?

OBS355
18-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Thank you so much I really do appreciate it. I will do all these things first and if im still interested in the car i will get it checked out by a proper mechanic.

With the radiator and coolent leaks all i will be looking for is say a puddle of fluid under the car? or can i check by say the color of the coolent and the smell?

Both.

Look on the ground under the car for dripping, but also get your head under and look for any visual signs of moisture or dripping, even look around the ends of the hoses for calcium/coolant buildup or signs of leaks that have dried up a bit.

When you first start the car and before it gets hot, take the radiator cap off and look in to see if the coolant looks brown and if there is any sludge buildup on the rubber seal inside the cap. This can indicate an oil leak inside the engine that is leaking into the coolant system. If you have a good nose on you, you can also smell the exhaust gases (without going crazy!) and see if you can pickup on a hint of oil smell. But if there are no signs of buildup or dirty coolant inside the cap and radiator then you won't need to go to those extremes!

sexy_shazam
23-01-2011, 01:49 PM
thanks everyone for all the helpfull advice.

ended up buying a 95 civic cxi today for $6000. was a good price cause the car had always been serviced at a honda dealer and came with service history and log books plus they threw in a set of mats and a service and bare the costs of the rego transfer. So pretty much all i paid was $6000 and then repay for rego again in october.

dougie_504
23-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice long rego and all worries dealt with. Sounds good :)

sexy_shazam
23-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Nice long rego and all worries dealt with. Sounds good :)

Now all I need is a set of white lights

OBS355
24-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Now all WE need are some pics!

sexy_shazam
25-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Now all WE need are some pics!

Of the car?

Ill take some tomoz when i bring it home.

So excited its my first car ever and although it doesnt have fancy electric mirrors or windows i love the car its nice and simple just the way a car should be.

blastnpast
25-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Wow I know it's a little different but I recently bought a Gli ek 99 model with 150,000 kms for $5500 with 5 months rego body has not a single dent or scratch and no accident history

sexy_shazam
25-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I'd like a gli cause it's good bang for buck but my dad new people at the dealership and we all agreed it was a good car as it was immaculate.

Enjoy your car you should be able to get close to another decade out of the car.

blastnpast
26-01-2011, 05:29 AM
I'd like a gli cause it's good bang for buck but my dad new people at the dealership and we all agreed it was a good car as it was immaculate.

Enjoy your car you should be able to get close to another decade out of the car.

I'm sure my Gli will be around for a long time.

I love my Honda and soon it will have more things to love about it when the mods are complete..

Check out my build thread mate :)

sexy_shazam
26-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm sure my Gli will be around for a long time.

I love my Honda and soon it will have more things to love about it when the mods are complete..

Check out my build thread mate :)

Picked up the car this morning the dealer guys were excellent couldnt ask for any better service.

driving the car home was the first time ive ever driven it and although it took a bit to get used to riding low the power from the car is great its responsive and rides smooth.

Im used to driving a honda jazz and this car is tonnes better its actually faster of the line than my sisters 06 jazz.