PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade

mugen_ctr
18-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey just went an got some bigger rotors, there around 280-282mm rotors, do ek calipers suit them? Or do i needa upgrade to DC2 calipers?

An does it have to be Ek9/ITR calipers? or just vtir calipers

i know its best to have the best of the best calipers, but im on a budget, so i cant go crazy spending on some fancy ITR calipers or spoon for that matter

dougie_504
18-01-2011, 10:31 PM
What have you done to your car that makes you want to upgrade to 280+?

If you can't afford it then don't buy it yet man.

And to make things easier just match the caliper to the rotor by chassis, I'm quite sure your EJ8 calipers won't fit a much larger rotor.

mugen_ctr
18-01-2011, 10:48 PM
well i wanna hit the tracks soon, so my main focus is on braking an sorting out the suspension areas, atm the brakes im piecing slowly, so its not gonna happen over night

After some research, only calipers that fit are ITR or EK9, so i guess its one or the other

Reason for such large rotors, im sick of my standard brakes, an just wanna get some good brakes in, power wise, its stock, but boosting it is definate on the card, again, i wanna sort out the brakes an suspension before i start aiming for power

I knw its best to slap on some good pads an go from there, that is something im doin in the next week, but this bigger rotor/calipers is a long term, research is what im doin atm, tryna see what can be an cant be done :)

AE092
19-01-2011, 02:38 AM
There is absolutely Nothing wrong with your standard sized rotors. I know, I race on them just modified. If your on a budget upgrade. Here's a recommendation:
Get replacement standard sized slotted rotors. RDA are affordable and will last the distance on stock power.
Get some decent pads, QFM good/cheap and then match the pads with the right temperature fluid. Castrol/Motul/Penrite.

It looks like you decided to get some big rotors without doing your homework, now you'll have to fork out and get the matching calipers and then the matching pads. Your car will only slow if your braking system is working 100% efficiently. Larger rotors, while it may look good will add more weight; unsprung weight at that and that's not a good thing either. Say you go from 240mm diameter disks to 280 as you've stated and say an extra 5mm thicker. That's a whopping 40mm extra weight on the outside of a rotor that you now must slow down and we are talking on both sides and not taking into account the extra width. Unless you spend big bucks and got a proper, high end lightweight rotor (which I doubt) then you would have only added more unsprung weight. The real advantage of larger rotors is it's ability to provide greater surface area for a suitably sized larger brake pad, it's ability to retain more heat with the size and I'm guessing in your case; mainly for looks. I'm not a hater of going bigger rotors, just alot of people don't know what their stock system is capable of in the first place. Riced_Civic (Dan) is a perfect example, he does low 1.50's at Winton in a D series Civic. And kids think they need VTEC to be quick...

mugen_ctr
19-01-2011, 03:20 PM
There is absolutely Nothing wrong with your standard sized rotors. I know, I race on them just modified. If your on a budget upgrade. Here's a recommendation:
Get replacement standard sized slotted rotors. RDA are affordable and will last the distance on stock power.
Get some decent pads, QFM good/cheap and then match the pads with the right temperature fluid. Castrol/Motul/Penrite.

It looks like you decided to get some big rotors without doing your homework, now you'll have to fork out and get the matching calipers and then the matching pads. Your car will only slow if your braking system is working 100% efficiently. Larger rotors, while it may look good will add more weight; unsprung weight at that and that's not a good thing either. Say you go from 240mm diameter disks to 280 as you've stated and say an extra 5mm thicker. That's a whopping 40mm extra weight on the outside of a rotor that you now must slow down and we are talking on both sides and not taking into account the extra width. Unless you spend big bucks and got a proper, high end lightweight rotor (which I doubt) then you would have only added more unsprung weight. The real advantage of larger rotors is it's ability to provide greater surface area for a suitably sized larger brake pad, it's ability to retain more heat with the size and I'm guessing in your case; mainly for looks. I'm not a hater of going bigger rotors, just alot of people don't know what their stock system is capable of in the first place. Riced_Civic (Dan) is a perfect example, he does low 1.50's at Winton in a D series Civic. And kids think they need VTEC to be quick...

well the plan was later on to upgrade to bigger calipers an rotors down the track
Theres nothing wrong with the the current setup, good pads an fluids do make wonders, but with with the added power of goin turbo, it makes the standard brakes look like nothing, an when i do mean budget, as in cheapest price lol, doesnt always mean cheap pads or rotors

Iev found some DC2R calipers.... but at 250, is it steep?

dougie_504
19-01-2011, 06:22 PM
You can go with 262mm, don't need to go so high as 282mm from your OEM 242mm.

Project Mu pads are good I hear.

Riced_Civic
19-01-2011, 07:01 PM
if u wan to up grade the brakes and u have all your plans sorted out and in order theres no problem with going to ITR brake set up.
the decision is when to go to them, if you dont plant to go track anytime soon go with a good pad and rotor upgrade (not bigger).
try that for a while and c if you need to upgrade. if you are going to the track try that combo out 1st and see if it enough for you.
if think u have the confidence that u need the greater stopping power then that will be the time to upgrade.

if your going to boost the EJ you still wont need the ITR upgrade you just need the bigger rotor (as mentioned 262mm) and one of the higher range pads.
a D-series on boost wont make the power to need massive brakes.

IMO dont go to ITR brakes until you track the car with a upgraded pad and rotor and c if you really need it.
maybe in the future when u get more serious about tracking the EJ with boost then that will be the time for the ITR or Accord upgrade.

akusuma
19-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I thought ej8 comes with 262mm from standard?

quangsuke
19-01-2011, 08:26 PM
thats a em1 i think

geeang
19-01-2011, 08:39 PM
The 282mm rotors you've purchased are useless until you get DC2R calipers (or whatever else uses 282mm rotors as standard) + brackets - $250 for DC2R calipers is an average price.

If you're going to spend money on making big power, don't cheap out on brakes.

Killa From Manila
19-01-2011, 08:58 PM
to upgrade to 282mm 4stud setup u will need
dc2r/ek9 calipers and brackets
brake hubs from a civic/teg that came with stock 262mm brakes as the holes wont line up with the caliper brackets from 240mm setups (im unsure if ur ej8 has 240 or 262mm rotors)
282mm 4x114.3 rotors from bb4 prelude vtec - REDRILLED to 4x100
you will need to shave 3mm from the mounting surface of the dc2r/ek9 caliper bracket to suit the different offset of the rotor (this shit costs abit)
new pads, fluid

in the end its expensive and not worth it. ive done it, and if id ever do it again id straight up purchase a ek9 5 lug setup. and replacement rotors will always need to be redrilled which is more money down the track

Killa From Manila
19-01-2011, 09:02 PM
another option is to get 96spec itr hubs which are 4x114.3 - ive read that dc2r/ek9 calipers and bb4 prelude vtec rotors bolt straight up with no redrilling and shaving of calipers (maybe check hondatech to confirm). also get a bonus of slightly wider wheel base for nice wheel fitment and theres heaps of cheap jdm 4x114.3 wheels if u know where to look

pat88c
19-01-2011, 09:37 PM
do you still have drums on the rear?
have you look at replacing your rear drums before replacing your front brakes ?

EJ8 came with disc front and drum rear
you feel the braking will improve with disc on rear
Replace your pads to good track/street compound, disc to slotted DBA (better disc over RDA there few write up on the topic on Ozhonda) and fresh brake fluid before each track day

Another thing when upgrading to 282mm front brakes you will have get the DC2R Brake master cylinder and proportion valve too
and you will increase your unsprung mass with heaver front brakes

just my 2cents

Bludger
19-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Our Vtir Integra, we upgraded to slotted rotors and Ferodo ds2500 pads. stock 262 size.

Stop just as good if not better than my dc2r.

Also, every post on this thread makes good sense but not the ones from the OP.

OP, listen to what these ppl have to say, they are all giving good information.

You don't need 282 disks.

dc292177917
20-01-2011, 09:31 AM
for stock d's power with a 282 rotor
wt makes u feel it stops quicker is due to u accelerate slower between corners
upgrading to 282 will add at least 1kg of unsprung mass to each of yr front wheels
which is quite a burden to torque-less honda small engines
imo pad upgrade and disc upgrade (not upsize) is sufficient
if money allows maybe get a set of nice light weight rims