PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone buy from ebay america? (sorry if this has been done a million times)

krispykreme
20-01-2011, 07:28 AM
i was looking at ebay america and theres some really cool rare cheap stuff on there atm.

and its been dollar for dollar for a while..

i was just wondering if anyone buys aftermarket parts from the states ?

markismaximus
20-01-2011, 07:52 AM
I bought my suspension from the US as well as all my aftermarket bushes and autometer gauges.

Are you referring to 2nd hand parts or new stuff?

I don't think I would buy 2nd hand for a couple of reasons:

* if you receive something which isn't exactly what the seller described good luck getting any money back for it. Also having to post it back to the US

* you'd be more likely to get ripped off buying from a private seller. They know you live 15,000km away, what can you do if they take your money? spend $2k on a plane ticket and go find them?

I usually ask a lot of questions from stores on ebay too just to make sure they know what they're talking about.

What "parts" are you looking at specifically?

blastnpast
20-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I do browse that site regulary and I can say the items come very quick Aslong as it's shipped by fedex :) however shipping costs are the only downside to the transaction as you can properly buy the same good quality materials from JDMyard at near the same cost!

Often it isn't worth waitin the few days or even weeks if your item gets lost in the post etc

For the extra few dollars or sometimes the same cost u can buy direct from
JDMyard as said b4 :)

markismaximus
20-01-2011, 08:08 AM
you can properly buy the same good quality materials from JDMyard at near the same cost!

not trying to rip on Aussie sellers or cause shit but not many australian shops can match US prices, even with shipping. especially with the current dollar

blastnpast
20-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Correct hence the reason it is a good buy over there to here however u need to
Be certain the quality of the parts are genuine and not clone materials unless your after clone material (not recommended)

Anyways honestly JDMyard sells ek9 style grill for $5.00 more then the cheapest US Seller however for $5.00 why the he'll would you wait around for the time it will take to arrive? Just buy direct from
Them if your local lol

markismaximus
20-01-2011, 08:31 AM
comes down to what you are buying. the example in the post above saving $5 on a grille isn't worth buying something from the US. but if you are saving a couple of hundred or more then I think its worth it.

blastnpast
20-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Yeah saving anything more then $20.00 for the wait for an item surely would b worth the while :)

I mean some people do sell coilovers new for $250+ cheaper then here in AUS..

It comes down to taxes here in AUS are high and do need to be paid from the seller and most of the time they try and make the shipping cost cover this..

However if the item is recorded as a gift the taxes don't get paid or are a minimum cost.

NightKids
20-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I personally haven't found the traders to be able to match anything even to a $5 difference. For example something such as a Mugen reservoir sock, traders are selling for $35 here whereas I'm getting it shipped from Japan for $13.99 with free postage. I would love to support locals but it's hard sometimes when it's largely at my expense!

Ebay does come with it's risks though. I've got 2 claims pending in paypal for non receipt so thr dangers are out there...

krispykreme
20-01-2011, 08:56 AM
hay thanks for the feedback everyone, i wasnt going to buy second hand from us and a LOL

but i was just looking at a bunch of skunk2 and mugen parts nothing inparticular i was just wondering what everyone thought about it,

and yeah i was looking and just to ship stuff here is quiet alot anyway i will probably just buy new from here and spend the extra $100 odd dollars hehe

NightKids
20-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Extra $100? That's a lot! Transfer me the money and i'll buy it off eBay for you! I'll just take a 10% cut... lol

krispykreme
20-01-2011, 09:07 AM
it was a figure of speech, but what i did see was ITB's selling for $600 plus postage and thats cheaper than aus, there going for like $900,

and then computer and few other things..

thanks guys !!

blastnpast
20-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah the res covers or even oil caps arnt real at the best of time :/ lol even the coilovers are way cheaper but then again postage might knock the price well over the normal cost or slightly lower ...

Goodluck with your purchases mate and u will find that the larger australian import wholesalers sell items for only a few dollars extra then eBay.us simply coz they buy the goods from over there and ship over here to sell :)

Fredoops
20-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I buy form Ebay all the time...

Heres the crappy part.

Aussie brands of stuff thats for sale in the States (I"M LOOKING AT YOU DBA!) sells cheaper in the states than here.
- Let me rephrase. Australian Company sells parts cheaper in the USA than their own home country.

I'm not talking about a 10% GST difference here, we're talking 25%+....

NightKids
20-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah the res covers or even oil caps arnt real at the best of time :/ lol even the coilovers are way cheaper but then again postage might knock the price well over the normal cost or slightly lower ...

Goodluck with your purchases mate and u will find that the larger australian import wholesalers sell items for only a few dollars extra then eBay.us simply coz they buy the goods from over there and ship over here to sell :)

The ones from HK I would doubt but the ones from Japan are definately real. They buy the goods and then bring it over to sell here and yet we the consumers are expected to pay for the mark up? Doesn't make sense...

blastnpast
21-01-2011, 04:37 AM
The ones from HK I would doubt but the ones from Japan are definately real. They buy the goods and then bring it over to sell here and yet we the consumers are expected to pay for the mark up? Doesn't make sense...

The fact that we are expected to pay the mark up is because we live in this corrupt society where people need to find a way to make a living, some decide to import and sell cheap stuff others decide to go genuine products and sell for more lol its a fact of the Australian life :)

markismaximus
21-01-2011, 07:27 AM
It comes down to taxes here in AUS are high and do need to be paid from the seller and most of the time they try and make the shipping cost cover this..

also to clarify the seller doesn't pay any taxes or duty when the item arrives in Australia. The buyer does

blastnpast
21-01-2011, 07:32 AM
also to clarify the seller doesn't pay any taxes or duty when the item arrives in Australia. The buyer does

I did cover this with what I said lol the buyer wants enough payment from the seller to cover his tax deductions :)

markismaximus
21-01-2011, 08:06 AM
you said in the above post to cover taxes here in AUS. but they dont pay any taxes here

blastnpast
21-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Maybe I could have worded it slightly better but read it again :)

Firstly we do pay taxes on items unless they are sent as a gift and generally the sender pays the taxes from his country to cover the taxes when leaving the US & when entering AUS

The buyer wants enough money (postage & taxes lol) from the seller so the TAXES can be paid without loosing money from the actual product anyways it's not relevant I think the man got his answer long ago...

markismaximus
21-01-2011, 11:12 AM
sender pays the taxes when entering AUS

you just said it again in the above post. the US sender does NOT pay AUSTRALIAN TAXES. The buyer pays duty and GST on items above $1000.

blastnpast
21-01-2011, 11:22 AM
you just said it again in the above post. the US sender does NOT pay AUSTRALIAN TAXES. The buyer pays duty and GST on items above $1000.

Ok Great...

Thanks for clearing that up lol

bennjamin
21-01-2011, 02:52 PM
remember that other countries sellers need to keep the prices low to remain competitive too. Nothing to do with taxes.....just that there is a thousand other businesses selling the same thing ! Here in oz , sellers can sell items for whatever they wish and at a premium , as its all imported.

PS i buy off us ebay all the time

Fredoops
21-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Or if the seller uses express couriers/post (eg TNT/FEDEX/UPS etc) it tend to go under the radar. Buyers hardly pays anything but postage

remember that other countries sellers need to keep the prices low to remain competitive too. Nothing to do with taxes.....just that there is a thousand other businesses selling the same thing ! Here in oz , sellers can sell items for whatever they wish and at a premium , as its all imported.
Economy of scale works as well. the US probably sells as much cars and parts in a month we do in a whole year.
A manufacturer supply a much bigger market... Bigger inventory turnover... etc etc

type_AHH
21-01-2011, 06:00 PM

I just happened to buy one of those mugen engine oil cap from HK for about $22 lol. I know the genuine mugen cap sells for around $100. (Slightly off topic) Reckon for a simple item like oil cap, theres any quality difference between the genuine and the replica?

Mikecivic78
21-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I recently bough OEM EK9 rear sway bar bushings and brackets from EBAY USA. 50 bucks plus 15 postage. Got it in 1.5 weeks. Cheap as.

Looking to buy Koni Yellow sports shocks soon. Price is very competetive due to high AUD$.

And I agree with BENNJAMIN, US ebay rocks atm.

Mikecivic78
21-01-2011, 08:24 PM

PS i buy off us ebay all the time

Well said BEN.

NightKids
22-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I buy off US eBay all the time too... and no, a replica or genuine oil cap aren't gonna make much difference! lol

TheSaint
24-01-2011, 01:40 PM
i buy 99% of my stuff from USA and ebay USA
A. its cheap
B. those american guys know their D-series engines
C. be smart about what you buy and you will be fine

alot of the stuff over there is cheaper to buy than over here
even with postage factored in

you just have to wait a little longer for it to get here