PDA

View Full Version : Civic 92 si sedan, manual. NOT USE CLUTCH??

XxDizzyxX
20-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello,

I've got a friend who owns an old truck, he says he uses the clutch for first gear and thats it.

once its going he will just shift though the gears without the clutch.

Is that possible with mine? (description ^)

and why?

xclusive_eg8
20-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes it is possible. It's called rev matching, it takes a while to learn and well it's only really possible (for street warriors) when doing under 4k RPM switches. It's easier to switch up than to switch down. But in all honestly, it's not really needed for a street car, it's more like an emergency thing if your clutch does fail one day. But in saying that, learn it but just try not to grind syncros ;)

XxDizzyxX
20-01-2011, 10:48 AM
It's called rev matching,

when you say that. how do I know what revs to change at

dougie_504
20-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Don't bother doing it.

But basically if your engine is rev'ing at the perfect amount you can just change gears without the clutch. But it's not worth it. Trucks and vans are easier I think?

krispykreme
20-01-2011, 12:28 PM
takes a while to get used to !!
there is no real point for this unless your clutch is buggered,
so if you want to learn this just drive down a back street and try it.
just incase your clutch does fail oneday,
oh and to start turn your car off, put it in first and turn your car on and accelarate ! hahaha
good luck.

trism
20-01-2011, 09:52 PM
sounds like a clown trying to be cool.

dont bother, youll prob destroy your gearbox trying.

dxlmt
20-01-2011, 09:55 PM
tis possible ..you can find it on youtube =] heres how you do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0hAtOik4

Zilli
21-01-2011, 07:53 AM
it is possible but only where there is no load on the box/engine... ie the road is perfectly flat and you are able to modulate the throttle to maintain the same speed throughout the process of changing gears...

Your car's gearbox has what is called a synchromesh, which is designed to do that process for you, i would suggest you use them, as trying to do the above with the clutch will put undue stress on these items, eventually causing grindy gears and gearbox damage...