PDA

View Full Version : Insurance ratings

charliebrown
21-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Me and my dad's recently switched to AAMI. He's the primary driver and i'm the "additional regular driver". Paying $1300 pa. If i was to go as the primary driver it would be $2500 pa.

My question is: does my rating go down every year as i'm a regular driver although not the primary? I'm hoping it does so that in a few years my premium will drop and i can move off into my own policy. I can't find any information about this on the aami website or google.

Thanks

geeang
21-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Your insurance policy is for your dad, you are covered but it does not mean you're holding an insurance policy.

So no, there is no impact on your rating. The only change that will happen in a few years is you'll get older, which generally makes insurance cheaper anyway (depending how old you are now).

charliebrown
21-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Fahhh... i want my rating to drop as quickly as possible but i just can't afford to fork out 3000 a year for my own policy. I'm 18, sports car, high risk suburb, park in driveway etc. it couldn't get any worse than that.

There's no way they can refuse to payout right? Since i'm down as a regular driver. I will be driving the car nearly every day so it was just too big a risk to not have my name on the policy as they can easily find out that i'm more than an 'occasional driver'

Mikecivic78
21-01-2011, 12:49 PM
WTF, your old man is paying 1300 for a dc4? Does he have history ( drunk driving/loss of licence etc...) ??? He's paying way too much.

I pay 700 for an EM1 and I've had bad behaviour in the past.

m3ntAL_l2
21-01-2011, 12:51 PM
nop, integras have a very high insurance rate, my dc2 cost $1k+ for comp while my 2005 mini cooper is only $600

charliebrown
21-01-2011, 05:23 PM
No matter what company my dad goes with, he'll be paying around 700-1000 for full comp on dc4. He's got absolutely clean record, no at-fault claims or anything for 25 years... it must be the type of car, not the driver.

Mikecivic78
21-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Wow, i didn't think DC4 would be so expensive. Remember, EM1 has B16a, while DC4 is non Vtec. I would consider the em1 more crashable due to better performance.

charliebrown
21-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Less young drivers die in EM1s perhaps

Mikecivic78
21-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I doubt it.

charliebrown
22-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Your insurance policy is for your dad, you are covered but it does not mean you're holding an insurance policy.

So no, there is no impact on your rating. The only change that will happen in a few years is you'll get older, which generally makes insurance cheaper anyway (depending how old you are now).

This shit's confusing... with justcars, if you put down you've had your license for 4 years + 0 claims, you get rating 1, even if you've never had insurance before.
I called up AAMI and they said the youngest driver on the policy's rating moves up every year. The chick i talked to was dumb as hell though and was just talking garbage, especially when i asked her about mods aftewards, so dunno how accurate her info is.

dougie_504
22-01-2011, 04:24 PM
WTF, your old man is paying 1300 for a dc4? Does he have history ( drunk driving/loss of licence etc...) ??? He's paying way too much.

I pay 700 for an EM1 and I've had bad behaviour in the past.

Integras are more common, and more frequently involved in accidents. That's one of the major factors that determines a premium and excess.

For Integras especially they have a very high premium, and they often come with a 'car excess' which is an additional $500-$600 on the standard excess.

Mikecivic78
22-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Integras are more common, and more frequently involved in accidents. That's one of the major factors that determines a premium and excess.

For Integras especially they have a very high premium, and they often come with a 'car excess' which is an additional $500-$600 on the standard excess.

I never knew that. When I was car shopping it was gonna be a DC2 or if I couldnt find a good one, an em1. I'm glad I settled on the EM1. More style and better gear ratios and, as it seems, cheaper to run ;)

charliebrown
22-01-2011, 11:48 PM
I've only ever come across the 'car excess' when getting quotes for DC2R's. The DC4 has never come up with that, which is why i've never heard of it until recently. Might be hidden somewhere in the 60 page long PDS, those sneaky insurers!