PDA

View Full Version : gearbox problem on a manual EG civic

jdmEG5
23-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi guys, I have a gearbox / engine problem ;

I've tried to search the same topic thru the 'search' thing, I haven't had a relevant answer.. + its really slow since I only use the internet via my phone so please don't flame me :o

Anyways, the problem I got which occured 2 weeks ago is my gearbox ;
My situation is when the motor/car is on, I put it on gear the car won't move ; instead it makes this really loud scrubbing noise coming from the engine bay. The noise gets louder only when I change to higher gear and my speedo also increase speed...

I've asked many experienced people, they all reckon it has to do with the clutch. So I bought a brand new exedy clutch + machined flywheel and on the side I bought a second hand gearbox.

I bought the gearbox (s20) last week. When I installed the GEARBOX only, I took for a test drive, it drove fine for 2 mins before the same thing happen (wheels not moving, in gear and speedo goes up)

After that I took the gearbox off and checked the clutch - the clutch seemed pretty meaty still but the flywheel was pretty much rooted.

2 days ago I purchased a brand new clutch kit + pressure plate + release bearing + machining flywheel (I purchased this after many calls to my mates who has been a car mechanic for over 30 years) since he said it was the clutch and etc.

Today, I completed installing everything back. Still no go. Same thing... What could be the problem?

Any usefull help will be really appreciated.

trism
23-01-2011, 04:48 PM
are they the right CV shafts?

jdmEG5
23-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi trism, yes they are. They were the original cv shafts that came with the car.. They are also recently been reconditioned

na-118
23-01-2011, 05:00 PM
sounds like release bearing

jdmEG5
23-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Release bearing is brand new... The other day you said its most likely be the flywheel ...

Could it be the gearbox its self that has failed?

jdmEG5
23-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I just tried this ;

Car is on

Clutch in

Shift to gear 3 (clutch still in)

Let go of clutch

Speed increases

Press the clutch

Speed goes back to 0

Let go of the clutch , speed goes up

Gearbox??